Fri Aug 6 - Bring in Da Noise, Bring in DeKalb

23 minutes ago, tommynev said:

Edited by Den8uml

2 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I wish Blue Stars would do the show without that tarp.. i love this show.

In Dekalb, 12 rows up, the tarp was nothing but glare from the stadium lights. After SCVs tarp glare fiasco in 2019, can't corps and bands just stand down from giant tarps?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

What a fantastic show! Definitely one of my favorite shows of the summer. Brass might be younger but wow are they playing a tough book. I mean there are some very demanding licks in that show. Percussion too. 

Sadly the concert cymbal crashes ruined a lot of the end, at least for us watching on FLO. Perhaps this was not an issue at the stadium. So I don't know if the issue was FLO or the way Phantom had their own mics in the pit. Cymbals should sound like they are coming from behind the music ensemble, not in front...and what we heard was WAY in front, almost like they were a soloist. 

Still, one of the best shows of the summer and they will destroy the crowds at Indy for sure. Bravo!!!

Pit balance was not an issue in person

4 minutes ago, billj said:

In Dekalb, 12 rows up, the tarp was nothing but glare from the stadium lights. After SCVs tarp glare fiasco in 2019, can't corps and bands just stand down from giant tarps?

Tarps usually are not a problem for fans indoors and most corps design shows for indoors.

My Wife and I just returned from DeKalb. What a great show! I might have enjoyed tonight's show more than any other drum corp show in the last 10 years or so. Very enjoyable. All of the shows have a throwback/vintage feel and sound to them and the drill design seems to have been staged to keep the corps more tightly bunched together in the front of the field in this exhibition season. 

Here is my take on the shows, less color guard:

Madison, Great uni's, lots of great classic Madison moments and hits in this show. Decent horn sound, guard uni's are...different. My Wife said they look like football referees, drum line is a mess and I don't think they ever marched passed the front hash marks. The Madison swagger is gone. 

Colts, nice clean uni's, very clean drum line, nice horn sound. More than any other corps, the Colts show and drill design had the corps tightly bunched up in the front of the field more than any other corps. 

Cavies, holy crap we loved this show. Again a traditional music first show that is enjoyable as h e l l.  Just tremendous. Cavies were head and shoulders ahead of the other 4 corps here. 

Blue Stars, Wild guard uni's, nice horns and by far the loudest snare line of the night, it even sounded like each snare might have been mic'd. None of the folks sitting around us could figure out the meaning of the tarp, and we could not figure out the meaning of this show and the props. The message was  lost. 

Phantom, holy crap again! Wat a great great show, great music not chopped up to death with just gorgeous chord progressions. By far the most goose bump moments for sure. It is great to see a huge drum line again with 10 snares, 6 quads and 5 bass. The Pearl drums sound great. 

MY RANKING:

1. Cavies

2. Phantom

3. Blue Stars,

4. Colts

5. Madison

• Like 4

7 hours ago, billj said:

Live, in person, it was a great show overall. So great to see these corps. A decent sized, responsive crowd. Great performances. I'm a happy camper. Hoping the rain stays away for Lisle on Saturday. 

It’s either going to rain or the sun will bore out your eye sockets until it goes down behind those trees.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s either going to rain or the sun will bore out your eye sockets until it goes down behind those trees.  

Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunate that both Benediction and North Central have the home stands face direct west.

• Like 1