Fri Aug 6 - Bring in Da Noise, Bring in DeKalb

2 hours ago, billj said:

In summary: tarps cost $, are a logistical challenge, are very hard to read under lights, and are unsafe. Why are they still being used?

You already gave out the answer before you asked the question. 

Field/floor coverings are big business in the pageantry industry.  And DCI is the product showroom for the pageantry industry.  

Tarps looks fine under Indy lights. How tarps look under the lights at High School X are generally not a concern for designers. 

And props (other than video screens) have been shown to be a small expense in drum corps relative to other cost categories.

Seems weird to make the use of tarps in DCI out to be a business venture for WGI designers. 

25 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You already gave out the answer before you asked the question. 

Field/floor coverings are big business in the pageantry industry.  And DCI is the product showroom for the pageantry industry.  

What's wrong with corps and bands just saying No?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually, Bloo is very veteran light this year. The vast majority of the corps is Bloo rooks. This bodes very well for 2022 when many of these rooks return as vets.

If that is true then count me in an super impressed. Just shows how much talent the Bluecoats recruit. Amazing show put together in a short period of time. They will be a force next summer for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billj said:

What's wrong with corps and bands just saying No?

Why would they say no? The same people designing DCI shows design WGI shows now. 

On 8/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, billj said:

^this. On the periphery it's even ok, but lighting in football stadiums focused especially on the middle of the field. No way to avoid glare until someone invent a tarp/ink/paint product that  has matte finish that the glare is significantly reduce.

Even then, I've seen enough people trip and fall or almost fall on tarps that I view them as just plain unsafe. A Blue Stars brass player matching backwards onto the tarp tripped last night on Dekalb. Didn't fall thankfully.

In summary: tarps cost $, are a logistical challenge, are very hard to read under lights, and are unsafe. Why are they still being used?

This.  Cause WGI....  It just adds so little if anything.  You would think after all this COVID crap safety and health would be more center stage.  I would also add it's a crutch for dressing lines, forms and whatnot.  I am still shocked DCI hasn't put a limit on vehicles, props and copious amount of "stuff" to bring stuff more in line.  As a side note, wouldn't it be better if next year someone just brought a F150 lightning on track, fully charged, and just had all the units plug into it?  Eliminate all that generator noise.  OR if Ford donated them to every corps (hint) they could be used to move equipment in/out.

42 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Nobody says let me design a wgi show outdoors. You guys are just looking for things to blame.

-signed a person that is part of designing WGI shows. 

I actually would like every corps to use a tarp to cover the Colts logo at Lucas. Lol

Also, if people think tarps are a crutch to dress forms etc., how do they feel about yard lines and hash marks?

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2