Sat Aug 7 - Bring in your smile, the cavalcade’s in Lisle

Throwing some love to Cavies! Always a favorite…with some of my favorite visual moments this summer! 

Going back over some of the performances from this show tonight. I thought the Scouts were really on tonight. I also think Flo did a much better job with sound at this show than at the DCI East show. Not bad. But I really enjoyed Madison's show. They are cleaning nicely. 

• Like 4

Colts looking and sounding very good. Love the use of the Sousaphone and small brass ensemble in the middle section of the show. The trombone feature that follows is tasteful and nicely balanced. Lots of color for sure. Those flags may be the most colorful I have seen. Great show. They definitely concentrate the marching in the middle of the field. Not as wide open like Madison's show, but it works for this product. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Throwing some love to Cavies! Always a favorite…with some of my favorite visual moments this summer! 

A bit self indulgent tonight.

• Confused 1

Watching Phantom now. They have also cleaned this show musically. I think visually it still needs a lot of work. Not an easy show to perform. The brass and percussion sections are playing very demanding books. I really like the use of Teal and Royal Blue in the flags. Staging is wonderful with this show. I could see a partial standing ovation for the ballad, which I think comes form the movie King of Kings. Some of the brass runs are still rough but man are the members going for it. Love the aggressive playing. Bravo Phantom! Crowd loved it!

• Like 3

Getting a read on the Cavaliers now. Really enjoy this show. The opener almost feels like a Madison Scouts tune. Great energy. You can hear the talent in the percussion and brass. Soloists are strong. Articulations in the brass and very good. They seem very strong from 1st part all the way down each section. BIG sound when they hit you. 

Visually they are not trying to do too much. You get a few classic Cavies type moves but mostly they are having fun and trying to stage the hit points appropriately. The merging of styles musically in Sing Sing Sing is really well done. Guard uniforms are interesting. Almost look like they belong with Boston. Field percussion is really laying it down tonight. I absolutely love the closer. You get a hint of the Cavaliers visually, and musically you get a fantastic chart in your face drum corps style. Nice performance! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

A bit self indulgent tonight.

Not sure what that even means 🙃…. but it’s their home show so I guess they’re allowed. 💚

• Like 3

Great crowd in Lisle. Having seen everyone live in Dekalb and Lisle..

Colt Cadets - The brass and strong percussion make up for the lack of color guard. A very nice overall effort!

Scouts - Love the visual and musical references to past shows! The rotating company front is looking good.

Colts - A really enjoyable music book. The last third of the show has some great, energetic music.

Cavaliers - Classic Cavies. Some big brass moments, technically and volume-wise.

Blue Stars - enjoyable music, big sound, and some big field coverage.

Regiment - My personal favorite. I'm a big fan of the original and I'm a big fan of this version. To me, this show has the most variety, musically, and it draws the most emotions. They are also performing at a very high level, especially given the visual and music demands. 

• Like 1

Just got back to hotel from show…overall a great night of drum corps.

I’m going to say first of all that the Cavaliers Brass is the real deal. The clarity and talent of the section is incredible. Since they were the host corps I’ll start with them. Those men are performers, while the show design isn’t one of my favorites they sure do know how to sell it. The maturity of the corps compared to others is apparent and appreciated. This show is pure entertainment. I’d also put them at top percussion. Soooo much better live (and it didn’t hurt that I was on the 50).

Phantom was great. I mean pure, beautiful drum corps. Reminded of how much I miss the shows from the early 2000’s. Guard was  pure bliss. I thought the hornline had some off moments in parts particularly in the first half. Percussion writing definitely misses Rennick and was unmemorable. This show is pure nostalgia. 

Blue Stars have a complete show with some great moments but I actually found them to be my least favorite of the night.

Colts were my surprise of the night. The soloists were amazing. Great show design. Great music and guard. If this were judged I’d have them ahead of Madison. 

Madison have improved so much. Very enjoyable. Great product to build on for the future. It’ll be interesting to see if show design will still be a concern in ‘22. Percussion seemed the weakest of the group.

See everyone in Indy!!!!

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great day and evening in Lisle! 

As the clouds above were thick, there was no usual blinding sunset.

A lone trumpeter played the banner, though there was no American flag at the stadium. The trumpeter had a unique delivery, gently pointing his bell to all sides of the grandstand, swaying back and forth.

Beer sales were brisk.

Before the show, Teresa, Tony, me, and terrier Bonnie headed to the Bavarian Lodge, but the outdoor dining was closed. We headed instead to a delicious bbq joint which welcomed the dog. 

Great food: pulled pork, cole slaw, corn salad, baked beans, freshly squeezed lemonade.

Then we killed time by playing the card game Flinch.

After the show, we nightcapped at Legends: loaded tater tots, quesadillas, and pretzel bites. I’m taking the 11:38pm train back to Chicago.

• Like 1