Sat. Aug 7. A-TOWN

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t have much choice down here.  It’s not good.  

This is my first year with it. So far I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Many times, flawless. No issues with video or audio. Too many times,  far below average and very, very frustrating. I fully understand now all of the negativity it receives on here. Of course, drum corps people instinctively look for perfection. 

loved having drum corps again within driving distance..Having seen the eastern corps all week on FLO, I was ready to HEAR a better balance of live drum corps..unfortunately, the uneven sound distribution made my live LISTENING les than expected..Pity that these great visual performances are not equally supported by electronically responsive miking..Pit often too loud..Brass often too muffled..That said, there"s still nothing better than live drum corps..Cadets were once again fan favorites, but BAC, Bloo, and Spirit were much cleaner than a week ago..Bravo to all the corps....Now if we could only do something about the SOUND..peace

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I don’t have Flo. Until I actually hear a positive review of them, I never will. Tomorrow, I begin a run of seeing five live shows in six days. The two shows I am going to before Indy features different corps line-ups, although I will see Bluecoats at each of those shows. I’m glad I decided to wait to see the shows live rather than to see sub-par broadcasts. 

Sounds like a fun 6 days for you. I will say this for Flo. I do have it and I appreciate being able to see shows I otherwise would not. The video is generally really good and they have done well to offer high-cam and multi-cam viewing options for customers. That is pretty nice. I was picking on them last night for sure, and I do think they need to pull the mics away from the track level, but like most things it's probably more complicated than that too. The drum corps themselves have been quite aggressive with the pit and this cannot make it easy to stream the audio over the internet. At either rate they do have work to do from an audio perspective, but it is better than what we used to get and the video is way better. I realize everyone is a Monday-morning QB when it comes to the multi-cam package, but at least we have choice...and it's pretty easy to flip from one to the other. I am quite sure they will continue to work on the audio presentation over the years, but if your starved for some drum corps it's a fair price to pay to see a lot of shows in the comfort of your home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

This is my first year with it. So far I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Many times, flawless. No issues with video or audio. Too many times,  far below average and very, very frustrating. I fully understand now all of the negativity it receives on here. Of course, drum corps people instinctively look for perfection. 

Perfection?  This is streaming video... perfection is not possible.

However, the following two expectations should not be asking too much of an established professional event broadcasting service:

1.  A company that has been doing this for five years should have a handle on the basics.

2.  They should demonstrate the ability to learn from mistakes.

So how are they doing?

Streaming:  First day was an absolute disaster for half an hour, crashing every few seconds.  But they recovered on the fly, and no subsequent days have had such problems.  You can make a case for them meeting #1 and #2 above.

Video:  Still seeing drunk-cams at several events, but the majority have clear and accurate picture with mostly appropriate camera selection on multicam feed.  I would say they have a handle on the basics.

Audio:  Dramatically worse than any prior year.  Hardly any event has been listenable.  Most crews obviously have no idea how to calibrate input levels, or balance the mix.  And it is not getting any better with practice.  Total failure on both counts.

What a difference it would make if they could rectify the audio situation for the remaining week.

• Like 5

Knowing nothing about audio engineering;  is the issue with Flo, just an ongoing battle with their audio production,  competing with each corps amp systems and sound production, and each one being different than another’s?  How can Flo deliver quality audio for say Music City’s performance then quality audio for Bluecoats, but change nothing they do during the performances.  Is Flo that inept?

51 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Knowing nothing about audio engineering;  is the issue with Flo, just an ongoing battle with their audio production,  competing with each corps amp systems and sound production, and each one being different than another’s?  How can Flo deliver quality audio for say Music City’s performance then quality audio for Bluecoats, but change nothing they do during the performances.  Is Flo that inept?

Flo doesn’t care! If they cared about the quality of their audio reproduction it would have been fixed by now. If it was outstanding DCI would have less people in the stands and Flo would cost more. It’s a bush league company but it’s all we get. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Perfection?  This is streaming video... perfection is not possible.

However, the following two expectations should not be asking too much of an established professional event broadcasting service:

1.  A company that has been doing this for five years should have a handle on the basics.

2.  They should demonstrate the ability to learn from mistakes.

So how are they doing?

Streaming:  First day was an absolute disaster for half an hour, crashing every few seconds.  But they recovered on the fly, and no subsequent days have had such problems.  You can make a case for them meeting #1 and #2 above.

Video:  Still seeing drunk-cams at several events, but the majority have clear and accurate picture with mostly appropriate camera selection on multicam feed.  I would say they have a handle on the basics.

Audio:  Dramatically worse than any prior year.  Hardly any event has been listenable.  Most crews obviously have no idea how to calibrate input levels, or balance the mix.  And it is not getting any better with practice.  Total failure on both counts.

What a difference it would make if they could rectify the audio situation for the remaining week.

I’m watching Cedarburg.  It’s so distorted.  Really bad. 

• Like 2