If the corps WERE being judged this year...

12 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Maybe, but they also had a huge class of age-outs. 86! It will be rebuilding for all next year.

Thanks for letting me know about the age outs. On the other hand, I think Bloo doesn’t rebuild—they reload!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

We could all go into exact placements, but I think if this year was judged Boston would've won with the groups that were in Indy.

I thought so too . They had few “ dead time “in the show design and the show flowed well from start to finish . They had an improved brass and percussion line from 2019  , and had sufficient demand for performers in the visual and music written this season that judges tend to reward  , and their execution in marching and playing was top notch,  particularly on Finals Night . The Guard … my goodness … they are Other Worldly . Their Guard by Indy was integrated into their show in magnificent fashion . I believe Bluecoats would have been close , but the first third of their show had some “ dead time “ in it , in my assessment . That said , both were outstanding in show design and performance talent on display .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Thanks for letting me know about the age outs. On the other hand, I think Bloo doesn’t rebuild—they reload!

That’s what Jim always says about the Buckeyes. He put a Buckeyes license plate cover on my Florida plate. 🤦‍♀️😬

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s what Jim always says about the Buckeyes. He put a Buckeyes license plate cover on my Florida plate. 🤦‍♀️😬

All my friends in Florida say that all Florida residents must be either a Gator, Seminole or Hurricane.     🙂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m Illini and I’m dying Illini.  

I'm  confused, you're an Illini ,and yet you let  your husband put an "Evil Empire" license plate cover on your car ? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

I'm  confused, you're an Illini ,and yet you let  your husband put an "Evil Empire" license plate cover on your car ? 

I’ve been retired for six years and he works in a home office so we now have one car only.  Sold the other car before we moved.  So I have to tolerate his fanaticism. 

So first, of all, every corps there was a winner for pulling off this season.  I'm so appreciative and in awe.

I decided to throw this out there just in fun.  This was very hard for me to rank, and being upstairs in 640 gives me a great GE & Visual view, but nuanced, rapid musical phrases can be muddied just by the indoor environment, percussion echo, and the chronic over-balancing of the pit by some corps.  AND, I have a huge soft spot for Regiment and was thrilled with their performance & how they grabbed the audience.

The biggest winners were the kids and the fans, hands down.

1.  Bluecoats - not my favorite show, but amazing performances

2.  Boston - best performance levels yet

3.  Phantom Regiment - Holy Horns.  Powerful, clean, thrilling.  Low brass for the ages.  Strong Guard.  Demanding and fast paced drill (sadly - if that matters anymore?)  I could see this from 1st to 4th...  there were a lot of misty eyes in the stands from what I can see.  A lot of joy to see Regiment be Regiment again after a long wander in the wilderness.

4.  Cavaliers - virtual tie with Regiment, but FAR less visual demand

5.  Blue Stars - Lots to impress, but GE hit & miss from up top.  Huge brass section, but power didn't project upstairs like it should have.  Guard book ridiculously hard, done well.

6.  Blue Knights - virtual tie with Blue Stars.  A very subtle show.  Very pretty, but much that was too similar, on the side of low tempos/ballad moments.  Loved the Guard

7.  Mandarins - Loved this show, best performance levels I've seen yet from Mandarins.  Could see this as high as 5th

8.  Cadets - I love the emotion & nostalgia, but honestly, from upstairs it was a bit dry and simplistic.  Would have loved more power from the brass (though better by Saturday night)   Huge improvement from the 2019 debacle.  (Tight grouping of 5-8)

9.  This would be the 12th spot if the missing corps were included.  TOUGH...  I guess, Scouts?  Loved the show, and what a rebound for Madison.  Pit was WAY over-balanced, might have covered up brass dirt..

10.  Spirit - Nice show, some nice GE moments, especially the ballad with the blue flags

11.   Pacific Crest - Nice show design, a bit on the simple side visually.  But this corps keeps getting better.

12.  Crossmen - Maybe too low?  Seems like a challenging summer for Bones, and the show just didn't come together and reach the upper deck much.  Didnt' help at all having to follow Regiment.

13.  Colts - To me this show was not memorable at all, except the closer, which was very nicely done.  Hard to distinguish 9th-13th.

14.  Troopers - I almost had them above Colts.  Powerful, Dark, full of energy.  Nice touch with the traditional Drum Major on the field at the end.  Nice step up for Troopers from 2019

15.  Genesis - Really enjoyable stuff!  Nicely designed Wizard of Oz show.  Well done.

15.  Academy - hard to place them knowing how short their season was (17 days of practice with 1st show on Thursday).  

17.  Music City - Smaller corps this year, still enjoyable.  Great to see them make it to Indy.

Apologies, but I didn't get to see the first block this past weekend.

Special shout outs to Regiment, Scouts, Troopers and Cadets for showing great strides from 2019.  The showings of all four should help with 2022 recruiting.  Especially for Regiment.  The crowd went nuts, and I saw far more Regiment shirts in the stands than those of any other corps.  Great to see long lines at their Souvie stand again after years of not much interest.

Flame away all you like.   Remember, this was just in fun.

Harvey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1