If the corps WERE being judged this year...

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Perhaps the most improved show of the summer was the Madison Scouts. 

Absolutely agreed. 

I'd give honorable mentions and maybe even further improvements relatively speaking also to Genesis, Gold and you could even see progress in the Colt Cadets. 

On 8/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, George Dixon said:

I'm sorry but a couple posts here make it real clear why we need scoring 

Indeed...... mic drop

On 8/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, George Dixon said:

That scoring gives people context and influences crowd reaction in Indy - some of these crowd favorites were just filthy dirty and would not have had quite the crowd reaction with a 75 ish score attached to them 

This is why we need qualified people judging that really understand what clean is.  As well as judgeable content driving score and demand.  Just because XYZ does it doesn't just make it "good" nor "clean".

What if we got back to an "after the gun" unjudged portion at the end of shows.  I'm thinking of 1975 and the SCV bottle dance.  Dirty as heck but one of the most legendary crowd moments.  Giving the corps a chance to let it rip for fun at the end of a show without penalizing them on the sheets might 'up the fun.'  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

What if we got back to an "after the gun" unjudged portion at the end of shows.  I'm thinking of 1975 and the SCV bottle dance.  Dirty as heck but one of the most legendary crowd moments.  Giving the corps a chance to let it rip for fun at the end of a show without penalizing them on the sheets might 'up the fun.'  

after the gun was all GE judging, which per some here, is the death of the activity

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

after the gun was all GE judging, which per some here, is the death of the activity

True Jeff, but consider 1982.  The crowd went bananas when SCV went into Bottle Dance, but it was so ugly it actually cost them GE points.  It's one thing to let it rip, but if it's too loose, you'll lose a chunk of GE in the process.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

True Jeff, but consider 1982.  The crowd went bananas when SCV went into Bottle Dance, but it was so ugly it actually cost them GE points.  It's one thing to let it rip, but if it's too loose, you'll lose a chunk of GE in the process.

happened lots of times. but many even then felt ticks got ignored

Now that I’m back home and Indy is a memory, this is how I would judges would place the corps. Just keep in mind I have eaten crow in the past when it comes to predicting what judges think.

1. Bluecoats. They were enjoyable, the show was engaging and well executed. 
2. Boston Crusaders. In some ways this is a reluctant placement. I wanted to give them first, and I do think they had the most difficult show that was clean, especially the color guard.  Brass was amazing and I thought the same with percussion. The only major  reason I say second would be the screens. They were creative and fine for a non judged shoe but might be a distraction if the show was judged. Where you look is important. I’ve noticed over the years that judges seem to reward shows where you know where to look higher than shows that are busy and have more than one point of interest at a time. 
3. Cavaliers.  Friday night’s performance was the strongest of the three shows. It might not be my third place show, but that’s where I think judges would put it. 
4.  Cadets, 5. Phantom. I had a hard time with this decision. Cadets and Phantom were so close in my opinion. I think judges would have placed Cadets over Phantom, the strength being Cadets told a story which is what judges like to see.
6. Blue Stars. I enjoyed this show but I know reviews were mixed based on some thinking the corps caught the flavor of the music and others thinking it lacked the pizazz of the movie/musical. I think judges would have placed them in similar places where they have been in the past.

7. Mandarins. Interesting show, got a kick out of the frisbees, from a judge’s perspective not that different as far as performance as past years. 
8. Blue Knights, 9. Crossmen. I would have placed Crossmen over Blue Knights but I don’t think the same would be true for judges. 
11/12 Pacific Crest/Spirit of Atlanta both were evenly matched. 
13. Colts: Colts can be relied on for good, solid shows. This year was no exception. I had a hard time deciding whether judges would have placed Colts higher than Troopers. Colts were cleaner but Troopers had more demand. In the end I think judges would have placed Colts higher. 
14. Troopers
15. Madison Scouts: I think people were pleased Madison was as strong as it was and I think the performance should help them in recruiting for the future. I don’t think judges would have found them stronger than the corps who I have placed higher.
16. Genesis: very colorful, entertaining show. 
17. Gold: it would not surprise me if in a year or two Gold will be petitioning for WC status. I think judges would have placed them above Music City but below the corps I’ve mentioned.
18. Music City: this was their most ambitious show though and while I liked it, I will admit I enjoy their creative entertaining shows a bit more. That being said, the show would have worked for judges.
19 River City Rhythm creative and fun show. I know some put it behind Colts Cadets due to some talented members of Colts Cadets, but I saw River City Rhythm as a fuller dhow and believe judges would have too.
20. Colts Cadets

Since Cincinnati Tradition and Columbus Saints are not DCI corps, I did not place them. I would say Tradition was on par with River City Rhythm and Colts Cadets, Columbus Saints were a bit too small for competition though so am glad both participated. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tim K said:

Now that I’m back home and Indy is a memory, this is how I would judges would place the corps. Just keep in mind I have eaten crow in the past when it comes to predicting what judges think.

1. Bluecoats. They were enjoyable, the show was engaging and well executed. 
2. Boston Crusaders. In some ways this is a reluctant placement. I wanted to give them first, and I do think they had the most difficult show that was clean, especially the color guard.  Brass was amazing and I thought the same with percussion. The only major  reason I say second would be the screens. They were creative and fine for a non judged shoe but might be a distraction if the show was judged. Where you look is important. I’ve noticed over the years that judges seem to reward shows where you know where to look higher than shows that are busy and have more than one point of interest at a time. 
3. Cavaliers.  Friday night’s performance was the strongest of the three shows. It might not be my third place show, but that’s where I think judges would put it. 
4.  Cadets, 5. Phantom. I had a hard time with this decision. Cadets and Phantom were so close in my opinion. I think judges would have placed Cadets over Phantom, the strength being Cadets told a story which is what judges like to see.
6. Blue Stars. I enjoyed this show but I know reviews were mixed based on some thinking the corps caught the flavor of the music and others thinking it lacked the pizazz of the movie/musical. I think judges would have placed them in similar places where they have been in the past.

7. Mandarins. Interesting show, got a kick out of the frisbees, from a judge’s perspective not that different as far as performance as past years. 
8. Blue Knights, 9. Crossmen. I would have placed Crossmen over Blue Knights but I don’t think the same would be true for judges. 
11/12 Pacific Crest/Spirit of Atlanta both were evenly matched. 
13. Colts: Colts can be relied on for good, solid shows. This year was no exception. I had a hard time deciding whether judges would have placed Colts higher than Troopers. Colts were cleaner but Troopers had more demand. In the end I think judges would have placed Colts higher. 
14. Troopers
15. Madison Scouts: I think people were pleased Madison was as strong as it was and I think the performance should help them in recruiting for the future. I don’t think judges would have found them stronger than the corps who I have placed higher.
16. Genesis: very colorful, entertaining show. 
17. Gold: it would not surprise me if in a year or two Gold will be petitioning for WC status. I think judges would have placed them above Music City but below the corps I’ve mentioned.
18. Music City: this was their most ambitious show though and while I liked it, I will admit I enjoy their creative entertaining shows a bit more. That being said, the show would have worked for judges.
19 River City Rhythm creative and fun show. I know some put it behind Colts Cadets due to some talented members of Colts Cadets, but I saw River City Rhythm as a fuller dhow and believe judges would have too.
20. Colts Cadets

Since Cincinnati Tradition and Columbus Saints are not DCI corps, I did not place them. I would say Tradition was on par with River City Rhythm and Colts Cadets, Columbus Saints were a bit too small for competition though so am glad both participated. 

Since 10th place is missing from your list, and so is Academy - does that mean you would have put them 10th?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Since 10th place is missing from your list, and so is Academy - does that mean you would have put them 10th?

No, it was a mistake and error I did not pick up on when I reread it before posting.  I was interrupted quite a few times when I wrote the post. It’s a long story.

I would have placed Academy between Troopers and Madison. My reason would be that while I enjoyed the show, judges might not see it as polished. I thought what they accomplished in such a short period was amazing.