Questions on video for DCA judging

20 hours ago, BigW said:

IIRC, There was a tendency to have what looked like heavy and cumbersome props that called for burly HS offensive linemen to manhandle, and the guard were mostly very petite young ladies who could barely move that stuff. There were times I felt bad for them.

It's hard to construct strong enough stuff for field use that's also light enough to easily move around. Almost need a structural engineer to design the prop and figure out what materials to make it out of. O.o

they weren't heavy. everyone thought we spent a fortune on stuff...they were cheap and flimsy

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

they weren't heavy. everyone thought we spent a fortune on stuff...they were cheap and flimsy

Wow. Dad's Engineering background was helpful BITD when I helped Dad build the DM podium for our HS. wood/plywood Stressed skin construction and folded. Very light and strong. Dad gave it a 5 year life, it lasted 10. You can build things for not a lot of money , construct them with quality and still make them look good. Many aren't convinced of that. You have a guy like Bob Sandor at Sky who has the tools, the smarts, and the engineering background, things get well fabricated. I got the chance to watch him work. Wow.

I think you've heard about the one visual coordinator in the HS activity who whinged that they spent $6K on props and were getting nowhere. I almost told him, "I can spend 250K on a Ferrari 458, drive it down the 50 and park it for the show. What does it do to enhance the program, but... I spent 250k!" I was thanked for not saying that. It could have got rough. 🍺

22 hours ago, BigW said:

Wow. Dad's Engineering background was helpful BITD when I helped Dad build the DM podium for our HS. wood/plywood Stressed skin construction and folded. Very light and strong. Dad gave it a 5 year life, it lasted 10. You can build things for not a lot of money , construct them with quality and still make them look good. Many aren't convinced of that. You have a guy like Bob Sandor at Sky who has the tools, the smarts, and the engineering background, things get well fabricated. I got the chance to watch him work. Wow.

I think you've heard about the one visual coordinator in the HS activity who whinged that they spent $6K on props and were getting nowhere. I almost told him, "I can spend 250K on a Ferrari 458, drive it down the 50 and park it for the show. What does it do to enhance the program, but... I spent 250k!" I was thanked for not saying that. It could have got rough. 🍺

the program to which we speak was always castigated for "spending a fortune on props".

well no...donations. clever and crafty parents. repurposed stuff as often as possible. in my 12 years, only once were props expensive, and IMO worthless to the success of the show..in fact they got in the way of success.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the program to which we speak was always castigated for "spending a fortune on props".

well no...donations. clever and crafty parents. repurposed stuff as often as possible. in my 12 years, only once were props expensive, and IMO worthless to the success of the show..in fact they got in the way of success.

Much of the time, a show would still be quite effective without props due to strong design and high performance levels. Rarely are things that tightly integrated except for the high end BoA/DCA/DCI teams.