DCI Celebration - Akron: August 9th

19 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Seeing Spirit of Atlanta live was also such a thrill. Man can they perform. They let you know they are there and you can feel the pride and joy they have in performing. This show is shaping up to be one of my favorites of the summer. The ballad was so good and incredibly powerful. They cover a lot of field and LIVE those bottle trees are so neat and effective. Great music, great performers, and a fantastic show!

As the Cadets came on the field you could hear the crowd enjoying the look of those beautiful and iconic uniforms. What struck me was how warm and controlled their brass line was. The Cadets guard had a rough run for sure, but I think the brass was very good tonight. For the guard I do feel the rain before the show did not help, but I am sure these performers are tired from being out East. When you see the brass and percussion LIVE you get a better feel for where they are. Their brass line has a warmer sound than the others, although not as polished as Boston or Bluecoats. They utilized a lot of dynamic range and did a nice job to pull the pit back when they needed to. Mallet playing was great. The percussion section may be the best on the field this summer. Hard to say but they were staged perfectly and the writing is so musical. The ballad gave me goosebumps. Moondance had the crowd rocking, and Far and Away blew the place down. Crowd was on their feet as soon as the company front began to push. 

Boston may have had their finest performance yet. I'd say they had the best brass tonight. Bluecoats are amazing, but Boston is a few tenths better. That line is easily the best Boston brass I have ever heard. What a musical book as well. Oh, by the way their percussion section through down as well and do not take a back seat to that brass. We all know their guard is one of the activities premiere units. They were stunning. I think the thing I took away most from their show tonight is how well this show works when you see them LIVE. I had no problem with the electronic panels. My girlfriend loved them. It seemed most of the crowd was very engaged and thrilled by their use and I don't feel I missed or was distracted from other parts of the show. Oh, and the rifles and tosses toward the end of the show will draw you in and make your jaw drop. The music is another thing that just hits you. On Flo I can tell I like the music, but LIVE it all felt larger than life. Their ballad may be the best on the field this year. It's hypothetical and tough to compare shows this year, but I'd say Boston had a slightly stronger run than Bloo. 

But speaking of the hometown corps, the Bluecoats definitely have a full package. I don't think they were as tight and polished as what I saw at Allentown, even if my vantage point was Flo. A few brass issues with timing and phasing hit them early in the show. Having said that they make up for it later on and close the show with a huge JAM FEST! The 1st 3rd of the show is more cerebral. Lots of dance, body movement, and a lot of effects in the pit. But as the show picks up steam the percussion begins to flex their muscles with so many intricate grooves and some amazing effects that you are simply wowed by the timing and complexity of layering. The guard is absolutely phenomenal. The use of flags was my favorite of the night, with Spirit of Atlanta actually being my 2nd favorite use of flags tonight. As the solos begin to add more to the show (and the soloists are excellent) the stage is set for the all-out jam fest that tears the house down. Then they pause for a few seconds, build it back up, begin singing, and then crush you one more time. In terms of total show design there is nothing like this package on the field this summer. It's very good visually, and it's absolutely stunning from a GE perspective. Seeing this show LIVE makes all the difference. If this corps is young, or at least younger than say 2019, then look out for 2022. The talent is so amazing top to bottom. Simply no weaknesses, even if the brass was a little off in a few small areas. Fantastic show!

Bravo to all the corps tonight. So glad I got to see live corps this summer. 

It is always a pleasure to read your reviews.  I may not always agree with every point at all times...But I will say...your reviews are very thoughtful and shall I say an honest assessment of what you see and hear. It is refreshing and much appreciated.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, B-Flat said:

The more I watch this BAC show, the more the screens distract and annoy me.  I feel like I keep trying to look right, but something makes me look left and I missed something on my right.   

The best comparison to the screens I can think of are electronic billboards.

I've been involved with the review of plans for the installation of these types of billboards.

They are designed  to draw your attention  to them, especially when an image changes.

Same here, when an image on the screen changes, your eyes automatically look over.

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

It was . But they still have a fabulous show that is highly entertaining and they appear to me to have a very young corps in their ranks . They pulled off this tradition based show with the iconic cadets songs from the past very , VERY well this summer . Loved  seeing them return  to their iconic uniform and corps colors this season and hope to see them again in them  next season . 

I do not know the exact age break down, but quite a few of the members appear HS aged...

I also didn't realize it rained?

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Seeing Spirit of Atlanta live was also such a thrill. Man can they perform. They let you know they are there and you can feel the pride and joy they have in performing. This show is shaping up to be one of my favorites of the summer. The ballad was so good and incredibly powerful. They cover a lot of field and LIVE those bottle trees are so neat and effective. Great music, great performers, and a fantastic show!

As the Cadets came on the field you could hear the crowd enjoying the look of those beautiful and iconic uniforms. What struck me was how warm and controlled their brass line was. The Cadets guard had a rough run for sure, but I think the brass was very good tonight. For the guard I do feel the rain before the show did not help, but I am sure these performers are tired from being out East. When you see the brass and percussion LIVE you get a better feel for where they are. Their brass line has a warmer sound than the others, although not as polished as Boston or Bluecoats. They utilized a lot of dynamic range and did a nice job to pull the pit back when they needed to. Mallet playing was great. The percussion section may be the best on the field this summer. Hard to say but they were staged perfectly and the writing is so musical. The ballad gave me goosebumps. Moondance had the crowd rocking, and Far and Away blew the place down. Crowd was on their feet as soon as the company front began to push. 

Boston may have had their finest performance yet. I'd say they had the best brass tonight. Bluecoats are amazing, but Boston is a few tenths better. That line is easily the best Boston brass I have ever heard. What a musical book as well. Oh, by the way their percussion section through down as well and do not take a back seat to that brass. We all know their guard is one of the activities premiere units. They were stunning. I think the thing I took away most from their show tonight is how well this show works when you see them LIVE. I had no problem with the electronic panels. My girlfriend loved them. It seemed most of the crowd was very engaged and thrilled by their use and I don't feel I missed or was distracted from other parts of the show. Oh, and the rifles and tosses toward the end of the show will draw you in and make your jaw drop. The music is another thing that just hits you. On Flo I can tell I like the music, but LIVE it all felt larger than life. Their ballad may be the best on the field this year. It's hypothetical and tough to compare shows this year, but I'd say Boston had a slightly stronger run than Bloo. 

But speaking of the hometown corps, the Bluecoats definitely have a full package. I don't think they were as tight and polished as what I saw at Allentown, even if my vantage point was Flo. A few brass issues with timing and phasing hit them early in the show. Having said that they make up for it later on and close the show with a huge JAM FEST! The 1st 3rd of the show is more cerebral. Lots of dance, body movement, and a lot of effects in the pit. But as the show picks up steam the percussion begins to flex their muscles with so many intricate grooves and some amazing effects that you are simply wowed by the timing and complexity of layering. The guard is absolutely phenomenal. The use of flags was my favorite of the night, with Spirit of Atlanta actually being my 2nd favorite use of flags tonight. As the solos begin to add more to the show (and the soloists are excellent) the stage is set for the all-out jam fest that tears the house down. Then they pause for a few seconds, build it back up, begin singing, and then crush you one more time. In terms of total show design there is nothing like this package on the field this summer. It's very good visually, and it's absolutely stunning from a GE perspective. Seeing this show LIVE makes all the difference. If this corps is young, or at least younger than say 2019, then look out for 2022. The talent is so amazing top to bottom. Simply no weaknesses, even if the brass was a little off in a few small areas. Fantastic show!

Bravo to all the corps tonight. So glad I got to see live corps this summer. 

thanks man, some very insightful observations! Glad you enjoyed!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I do not know the exact age break down, but quite a few of the members appear HS aged...

I also didn't realize it rained?

George, I ended up speaking to a group of three or four of them (horn players I think) while walking back to my rv at the Quincy show.  They were very polite, enthused, and very young.  This group was clearly high school kids, and I congratulated them on a great show.  As I said somewhere on another thread last week, they LOOK the part when in full uniform.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The best comparison to the screens I can think of are electronic billboards.

I've been involved with the review of plans for the installation of these types of billboards.

They are designed  to draw your attention  to them, especially when an image changes.

Same here, when an image on the screen changes, your eyes automatically look over.

Agree with your POV.  The imagery BAC uses is constantly changing, graphics only at times, scenery, members, much coordinated with music rhythm and tempo.  And there is the ballad imagery of Aubrey which is much more subdued if you will.  All of it is designed to coordinate and enhance the production, but you are right about how it pulls your attention to the screens. Too much at times. It’s a learning experience on video incorporation aside from logistics.

Great shows last night by all the corps. Going to work the morning after a great show is not easy. Coffee is a  must today. I have a friend who took a few neat photos. I will see if I can upload those later. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

A lot of the Corps below the top 6, typically have younger marchers in their ranks, than the TOP 6. Its been this way for decades, really.  When Madison Scouts were in the TOP  6 most seasons, they tended to have more mature, experienced marchers in their ranks than say Carolina Crown or Boston, Bluecoats, etc. Now Madison Scouts tend to fill their ranks with far more younger aged, or  relatively new marchers in their ranks than the TOP 5 or 6.  Phantom Regiment looks young to me these days now too. Boston for years was chock full of H.S. marchers in their ranks.  Same with Crown in their early building years.  Cavaliers were almost always filled with the college age, as they were typically in the TOP 6. When Cadets were winning titles, they had a few H.S. kids in their ranks, but  by and large, the Cadets were filled with the college aged, and were much more mature and experienced in Drum Corps than what Cadets are in age and experience this season.  BD usually has huge turnover in their ranks each and every season, but they just reload with other Corps younger marchers at ( for example, Mandarins, Academy,  Pacific Crest, etc ) and thats because of the pecking order in DCI and BD ( and SCV ) are pretty much always in the TOP 6. Corps with  lots of H.S. kids in their ranks though can be highly talented and entertaining. Academy was in " Drum Corps Bride " show, Music City with " Casey Jones tribute " show ", Cadets and Phantom Regiment this season and the like too. I really enjoyed both the Cadets and Phantom Regiment's shows this season, despite the overall younger age of their marchers than the current TOP 6 corps.

Edited by Boss Anova

@jwillis35 posted an excellent and accurate review so anything I might write would be redundant, and I have to hit the road for Marion soon, so I will only make some ad hoc observations.

Loved Cadets—the brass has improved so much since 2019 it is hard to believe it’s the same corps. Kudos to the players and Matt Stratton and staff. Visually, it was a little wonky, but I hear this isn’t the norm, so I will trust things will be ironed out when I see them next in Indy.

Boston, you have a wonderful corps. Your brass was the top of the night for me, and some your 1/16th note runs are very reminiscent of Crown’s legendary licks. Visually, your show looks like how Crown looked before the staff came to Boston—only evolved. This is the visual program BAC wanted when Leon May and company moved north. My one quibble is that as much as I tried to keep the screens in my periphery, they kept drawing my attention away from the superb live visual program, and then my eye was drawn to a large rectangular dead spot on the center right screen. I am the kind of person who will fixate on a dead pixel on my TV, so this really played into my visual OCD.

Blue was the GE powerhouse that I have come to know and love. Personally, I thought the first third of the program was great—the thing is, it is the baseline of the show that keeps growing and growing until Golden Slumbers (which to me was the ballad of the night) and all that follows. I agree with the assessment that one of the trumpet soloists had an off night (the bearded one from the great Hey Jude closer in 2019). I doubt that his lip is shot—he was gold in a much longer 2019 season, so I will chalk it up to it being “one of those nights.” At least there weren’t any BD 1989 frack moments.

All in all it was a great night, and I am glad I added Akron to my agenda. Live drum corps is the best, isn’t it?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5