Sad That After 5 Years FLO Cant't Get Right - Still 4 Years To GO

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Another thought - Flo covers BOA, correct?  I know some of the top BOA bands have sound setups as sophisticated as DCI Corps.  Is BOA Flo as incompetent as DCI Flo?

BOA went to Box5

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Same here, but we never placed high enough to make it onto a LP.

Have a Ken Kobald tape however

God love Ken Kobald.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Another thought - Flo covers BOA, correct?  I know some of the top BOA bands have sound setups as sophisticated as DCI Corps.  Is BOA Flo as incompetent as DCI Flo?

Good question!

One of the contractors that's worked for Flo this season shared a little insight on FB into some of the audio issues this season.

First, as many would expect, Flo is hiring subcontractors that are not familiar with the marching arts activity.  They know how to set up mics and mix the incoming audio, but they legit don't fully understand what the final output should ideally sound like.  That's not an excuse, just a reality of the situation.

Second, the audio setup that they're using will take up to 6 direct outputs from the corps board.  Flo is at the mercy of what the corps send them via those 6 outputs.  It takes several shows to get that ironed out.  With it being an abbreviated season, there's less opportunities to get it right and fine tune things.  And again, this process is dependent on the audio engineers having a better understanding of what the final output should sound like.

Last, this person did suggest reaching out to Flo and be specific that they hire audio engineers that know/understand the activity.

Edited by rjohn76
Grammar/Spelling

13 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

One of the contractors that's worked for Flo this season shared a little insight on FB into some of the audio issues this season.

First, as many would expect, Flo is hiring subcontractors that are not familiar with the marching arts activity.  They know how to set up mics and mix the incoming audio, but they legit don't fully understand what the final output should ideally sound like.  That's not an excuse, just a reality of the situation.

Second, the audio setup that they're using will take up to 6 direct outputs from the corps board.  Flo is at the mercy of what the corps send them via those 6 outputs.  It takes several shows to get that ironed out.  With it being an abbreviated season, there's less opportunities to get it right and fine tune things.  And again, this process is dependent on the audio engineers having a better understanding of what the final output should sound like.

Last, this person did suggest reaching out to Flo and be specific that they hire audio engineers that know/understand the activity.

That doesn't excuse the abysmal overblown sound from Cedarburg or the practically muted sound tonight in Centerville. I asked them in one of my many emails if they have people monitoring these broadcasts for quality and they said yes. There is no way anyone with ears could listen to that and think it was acceptable.

6 minutes ago, tommynev said:

That doesn't excuse the abysmal overblown sound from Cedarburg or the practically muted sound tonight in Centerville. I asked them in one of my many emails if they have people monitoring these broadcasts for quality and they said yes. There is no way anyone with ears could listen to that and think it was acceptable.

Having someone monitoring the broadcast is one thing.  Being able to relay the corrections that need to be made on the fly to an audio engineer that's used to mixing for FloRacing or FloRodeo is a completely different thing.  That's why the person I mentioned suggested being very specific about the feedback being given to Flo.  They need to hire audio engineers that are at least familiar with the marching arts.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:23 AM, Rich Cline said:

Well then, the problem may be deeper than we know. Let's investigate DCI BOD and clean house! I would like to see the activity stay alive and we need to get competent people in place to take the activity into the next decade.

so you have multiple people ready to step in and run a corps? cause to remove most of the BOD you have to replace corps directors.

i don't disagree there's issues, but you clearly don't understand how it works

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:40 AM, Rich Cline said:

Jeff said: that said i am done watching for the season. Flo hasn't buffered as much as the past but the sound absolutely sucks

But what about us who did not subscribe to this cut-rate service. Will DCI produce DVD's for us to buy. Will they be full audio and full sound?

I can easiily download youtube videos before they are are taken down by DCI, FloMarching and others, But why should I have to do that. If I'm willing to to buy a DVD which is the same as buying a ticket........that should be be end of question.

i have no clue. email DCI and ask.