Sad That After 5 Years FLO Cant't Get Right - Still 4 Years To GO

17 hours ago, Poppycock said:

First DCA show of the season was a disaster by BOX 5. Horrible interface!

i have heard its gotten better, but unless you have Roku TV, you have to plug the laptop in like it's 2016. i may finally find my HDMI cable this week and check it out

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is it possible for anyone to make dvds anymore with all the licensing problems and costs. DCA hasn’t sold DVDs or CDs for years.

DCi still does, but they sell enough to justify the cost. DCA can't even get 3000 paid fans to a 3rd rate HS stadium to watch finals

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I get that but even a legend like Joe Paterno didn’t survive the Penn State scandal.  Yet, here we are. 

And I read some pretty disturbing stuff where he was calling things “old news” and it seemed (seems) as if he just waited for things to blow over.   His unresponsiveness to Tricia Nadolny was concerning. He doesn’t seem to be very proactive.  Plenty reactive, however. 

they tried to oust Dan before with the G&...how'd that work? hell half of those directors aren't even in charge of those corps anymore

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

I manage vendors for a living.  I'd never award a contract that long, first.  And second, there would be penalties and bonuses based on performance.  In this case, I'd require a formal survey of paying customers, managed by a 3rd party, and reduce or increase the compensation (or flow through of revenue to DCI) based on those results.  It drives accountability and forces vendors to step up.

the only time I remember DCI raising hell was after the absolute fiasco in OK a few years...they even released a statement about it. it got better fast...still not great but better. but 2019 was nowhere near this bad. 

5 hours ago, Dansize said:

I sent a complaint to Flo, outlining my frustration with their inconsistency from show to show.  They got back to me fast and wanted me to cite examples of problems. Which I did. Easy enough.  As I told them, I don't want to cancel or get a refund (yet).  I just want qualified attention to the problem and a cure put in place so that I can be assured that the quality is reasonable before the shows this weekend.

Similar complaints also sent to DCI.

Not sure I really expect a miracle.  But it felt better telling them that the ability to shoot/broadcast a car race or track event is different than what is needed with respect to musical performances.  

i am amazed they didn't blame your gear or wifi or browser...thats their usual MO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What did DCI sell in the past, CDs and DVDs or just DVDs?

both

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I don't understand why there can't be a stationary camera on the 50 with mics at the top.  Why do we need closeups?  I have NEVER understood this.  High cam FTW.

i'd rather multi cam. i like seeing drummers hands, kids intensity etc. watching hi cam bores me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

One of the contractors that's worked for Flo this season shared a little insight on FB into some of the audio issues this season.

First, as many would expect, Flo is hiring subcontractors that are not familiar with the marching arts activity.  They know how to set up mics and mix the incoming audio, but they legit don't fully understand what the final output should ideally sound like.  That's not an excuse, just a reality of the situation.

Second, the audio setup that they're using will take up to 6 direct outputs from the corps board.  Flo is at the mercy of what the corps send them via those 6 outputs.  It takes several shows to get that ironed out.  With it being an abbreviated season, there's less opportunities to get it right and fine tune things.  And again, this process is dependent on the audio engineers having a better understanding of what the final output should sound like.

Last, this person did suggest reaching out to Flo and be specific that they hire audio engineers that know/understand the activity.

Flo has been DCis content provider for several years now. they should have figured that out by year 1...and isnt one of the guys in charge an drum corps alumni?

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

Having someone monitoring the broadcast is one thing.  Being able to relay the corrections that need to be made on the fly to an audio engineer that's used to mixing for FloRacing or FloRodeo is a completely different thing.  That's why the person I mentioned suggested being very specific about the feedback being given to Flo.  They need to hire audio engineers that are at least familiar with the marching arts.

I've sent them detailed messages, multiple links of people complaining about the issues and even a short clip of The Cavaliers from Cedarsburg. They have never apologized, say they will pass on the information and just always tell me to let them know if there are any other issues. One time they tried to say it was my fault because I wasn't using the app (which I explained to them I was). Bottom line is they don't care.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Flo has been DCis content provider for several years now. they should have figured that out by year 1...and isnt one of the guys in charge an drum corps alumni?

Several of the people involved with Flo have DCI experience, and I've gotten the vibe that those people genuinely care about the end presentation.  But my understanding is they have to work within the larger FloSports matrix.  So if FloSports has a subcontractor they've used in Wisconsin to broadcast sprint car racing at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, that subcontractor might get the nod to do the Wisconsin drum corps shows as well just based on the pre-existing business relationship.  That would seemingly make sense from a cost-savings business perspective, but doesn't necessarily result in the best quality being put forth on the FloMarching side.