Sad That After 5 Years FLO Cant't Get Right - Still 4 Years To GO

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Some new & updated info on FloMarching, copyrights, etc:

That's some interesting information. I actually feel a little guilty for ripping into Flo now. Their legal guy Wes seemed like a reasonable and well informed person, PLUS he's one of us, a MM and fan of the activity. Thanks for sharing this, keystone. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Some new & updated info on FloMarching, copyrights, etc:

but no mention of #### quality audio and video

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:04 AM, Rich Cline said:

Jeff Ream replied cd's and dvd's tho the dvd's have some licensing related edits

My Response:
I have repeatedly admonished DCI & Dan Acheson about the issue of licensing content for DCI DVD/BluRay distribution.

See this Article:
Music, Money, Success & the Movies: Part One
https://www.ascap.com/help/music-business-101/music-money-success-movies

I know of no current performer or group who has ever produced a CD/DVD for distrobution who have released the disc with editied sound, and we are talking about the top 25-50 performers and bands worldwide.

It appears to be a case of the 'rights' worth and what the performimg performer is willing to pay.

Agiain, I call for Dan Acheson's dismissal as he as again failed as CEO of DCI for failing to promote the activity of DCI, including the creation/issue of DvD's of recorded contest's without restricted edits (because it was financially better deal for DCI.

When DCI releases a DVD, they do a sort run, sell out, and no-reprints are availible.

It would seem to me, that if DCI truly wanted to develop the activity and a fan base, they would make every effort available to provide past recordings of shows as video/audio availible such as content produced by Fleetwood Records.  Forget the Dog & Pony show to introduce IE, Drum Battle, Small Corps, etc..

Lets' experience each season of the available corp's for the top of the season and present them in the most favorable way possible cd/dvd/video clips on social media.

Ach should have been replaced many years ago. DCI needs new blood and leadership. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but no mention of #### quality audio and video

not his wheelhouse...he's legal, not tech.

and let's be honest, the fact that he's a corps alum gives him a lot more cred than some random legal guy doing it.

18 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

and let's be honest, the fact that he's a corps alum gives him a lot more cred than some random legal guy doing it.

Personally I’d like Flo/Box5/whoever have someone not connected to DC in anyway come out with a full explanation. Better yet someone who cares less so can be totally unbiased. Just have read too many “facts” where what people want gets in the way of what needs to be heard. 
Still scratching my head at all the old DC vids and audio on YT. Including ones where DCW has cleaned up things and is trying to sell. Edit: and has bought rights for the recordings from estates of the people who did the taping

Edited by JimF-LowBari

23 hours ago, TenHut said:

Ach should have been replaced many years ago. DCI needs new blood and leadership. 

the board calls all the shots. why is that so #### hard for people to understand?

8 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

true. but all the legal mumbo jumbo ( albeit really good info) doesn't replace the fact that product has been #### to mediocre unless Tom Blair has been involved for 5 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true. but all the legal mumbo jumbo ( albeit really good info) doesn't replace the fact that product has been #### to mediocre unless Tom Blair has been involved for 5 years

agreed....but again, he's on the legal side, not the production side.

pinning any of the broadcast issues on him would be like blaming the bus driver for a dropped rifle in show.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed! I must point out too, while many were pleased with the final night celebration streaming, i was not impressed. The quality seem very poor in comparison to past DCI finals weekend broadcast/stream. I was a little frustrated esp with the look and feel of the High Cam, it was so poor, IMHO. But luckily i was able to still enjoyed the shows regardless.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the board calls all the shots. why is that so #### hard for people to understand?

Because the board does not take accountability for their decisions. 

Part of the CEO job (and not just at DCI, mind you) is to be the primary face of public relations, deflector of criticism, and even sacrificial lamb if things really get rough.  When a CEO serves in those roles, that usually takes the heat off of the rest of the organization.  As far as I recall, for a board to get in trouble, they would have to do something as heinous as defending a 38-year reign of sexual abuse involving employees and minors.

• Like 3