Sad That After 5 Years FLO Cant't Get Right - Still 4 Years To GO

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Because the board does not take accountability for their decisions. 

Part of the CEO job (and not just at DCI, mind you) is to be the primary face of public relations, deflector of criticism, and even sacrificial lamb if things really get rough.  When a CEO serves in those roles, that usually takes the heat off of the rest of the organization.  As far as I recall, for a board to get in trouble, they would have to do something as heinous as defending a 38-year reign of sexual abuse involving employees and minors.

ScentedTatteredAmericanbittern-size_rest

• Like 1

It amazes me that after 50 years DCI can't come up with a suitable standardized product to promote and broadcast the activity.  Instead, we're still a small niche activity within a niche activity (marching band).  Was the occasional broadcast on PBS the high water mark?  Drum Corps should be included in the Olympics by now.

20 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

agreed....but again, he's on the legal side, not the production side.

pinning any of the broadcast issues on him would be like blaming the bus driver for a dropped rifle in show.

never said pin it on him. but it's the other rather large elephant in the room.

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Because the board does not take accountability for their decisions. 

Part of the CEO job (and not just at DCI, mind you) is to be the primary face of public relations, deflector of criticism, and even sacrificial lamb if things really get rough.  When a CEO serves in those roles, that usually takes the heat off of the rest of the organization.  As far as I recall, for a board to get in trouble, they would have to do something as heinous as defending a 38-year reign of sexual abuse involving employees and minors.

now...i am not defending Dan when I say this...but no matter who is in that spot will still have the same #### job. until the board themselves feels the heat, nothing changes and Dan gets #### he truly doesn't deserve.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, TexasPRfan said:

I manage vendors for a living.  I'd never award a contract that long, first.  And second, there would be penalties and bonuses based on performance.  In this case, I'd require a formal survey of paying customers, managed by a 3rd party, and reduce or increase the compensation (or flow through of revenue to DCI) based on those results.  It drives accountability and forces vendors to step up.

Agree 1,000%. I worked as a client services manager for a very large call center organization for a few years. Anything more than a 3 year contract is simply unheard of. There were always penalties (lots of them) for misses in any of the contract terms and there was ALWAYS an "out" clause with very minimum risk for the client. If the client isn't holding the vendor accountable, that is a HUGE issue as the paying public for the service as people will quickly grow tired of contacting a vendor and be redirected to an unresponsive client. 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

It amazes me that after 50 years DCI can't come up with a suitable standardized product to promote and broadcast the activity.  Instead, we're still a small niche activity within a niche activity (marching band).  

As another poster accurately assessed on another thread... " its band camp, not life or death ". 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ever been in a situation where you knew people were speaking English but still had no idea what they were talking about?

I, a Luddite, am feeling that way right now.  

WARNING: This response is created completely in jest and should not be considered as a serious reply!

I've got this...I teach Tier II tech support for my current client. This is probably how some of my Tech II agents would respond (because their young and mostly dullards..)

She uses one of the big moving picture box thingies...not the big turtle shaped ones, but the flat ones. It connects to the interwebs so that you can get to things like The Facebook and The Google. But the people who are filming the performances and broadcasting them through the air, like when you used to watch the Wide World of Sports on the television, haven't made one of the clicky, boxy, touchy thing-a-ma-whosits to go on the mobile flip phone that your grandkids bought for you four Christmases ago. The Android thingy is like a little green robot who lives inside the phone. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was close to the press box last night … what the mikes would have picked up was a loud conversation between a father in the row behind me and to my right, to his daughter and boy friend next to me on my left … “Do you see Matt? He’s next to the bongo thing” “Yes,  I see him. Our color guard uniforms are awful this year. There are these stripe things we have to pull over our tights, and no one can get them to work. And we have to push props all over the field, like we have to push them two stripes of the field in eight counts. And the guard is almost all freshmen. We have like only two seniors, including me, so like a bunch of 14 year olds are pushing these really heavy props. I don’t know why he is making us wear those stripe things …” Did I mention this was a very loud conversation? 

I conned Britt into yelling "They're always ready!" at DCI South in Atlanta in 2018 while I quickly walked away to "Get us some hot dogs." I may be part of the problem LOL. 

• Haha 1

so Tim Snyder of Box5TV.....current content provider for DCA and this fall BOA talked about how first and foremost he wanted it to sound good. he also mentioned an overwhelming majority of those he hires have a background in the activity. So far of the 2 DCA events I have watched, the sound is better than Flo was most of this year...and thats with the corps recording themselves in this virtual environment. I'll be sure to check some BOA out to see livestream thats truly live in action

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so Tim Snyder of Box5TV.....current content provider for DCA and this fall BOA talked about how first and foremost he wanted it to sound good. he also mentioned an overwhelming majority of those he hires have a background in the activity. So far of the 2 DCA events I have watched, the sound is better than Flo was most of this year...and thats with the corps recording themselves in this virtual environment. I'll be sure to check some BOA out to see livestream thats truly live in action

Got busy and didn’t watch DCA/Box5 last night for the first time this season. Haven’t had any sound problems except for the corps themselves putting camera where sound wasn’t picked up that well. More problems with freeze ups and first night when Box5 got hacked. Didn’t watch DCI/Flo so can’t compare