Thursday August 12 - DCI Celebration Indy

54 minutes ago, ykw said:

Yes.  A very good run. I wondered whether some of the misalignment in the drill was because of differences in NFL vs. High School/College hash marks 

Am I the only one who got that reference?

7 hours ago, tommynev said:

Most corps drill it into you how far away the pro hashes are from college/high school. Also it looks like they had both marked anyways (along with the midpoints from the front sidelines

Yes I noticed that both were marked.  In prior seasons the corps’ would have performed at other venues (Atlanta, Buffalo) with both sets of hashes before Indy.

8 hours ago, Dr. Craig Callen said:

OK- I am surprised that nobody has made a comment on this.  We now have a replacement for the iconic wink at the camera from the 2016 Bluecoats soloist.  We now have the Bluecoats member over and over picking his nose on camera and flicking his nasal excrement onto the field.  Cracked us up.  After your show- I think that I will have a hit off of the bong or drink a really cheap bottle of wine and make a candle holder out of the bottle.  Ah the good old days when we were young and beautiful (and did high knee lifts and lots of mark time)  Go Blooooooo!!!

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

Just wishful thinking…..Would love to see Bloo do an entirely Zappa show next year. What they could bring to the field with Throwers arranging and their visuals and props would fit the music. Honorable mention for a show based on Elton John or Pink Floyd. Sky is the limit for next year on how they innovate. 

I don't know...  4 out of 5 past shows have been rock and roll shows -- 

Do they really need to push the envelope? They have proven that they are the best in the game at sound reinforcement - I think they could take what they have sound-wise and go back and try to create something really excellent visually -- the prop intensive, dance focus, run from here to there design is getting kind of cliche. I'm thinking some really precise marching and movement where the focus is not on individuals but on the strength of the whole. 

Bluecoats have not had a really impressive percussion section over the past few shows  -- what has happened there? Why has percussion writing become an afterthought? 

I can see the judges getting tired of the Bluecoats next year if they remain on current trend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

A small thing with Bloo that I noticed last night, but maybe this is typical. During the first snare feature, there were a ton of electronics accompaniment going on. Incredibly effective but also detracted from their excellence a bit.

17 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Great show by Troopers! Man, that brass line was allowed to open up this year. They are aggressive and play with some edge. Enjoyed the Battle Hymn quotes at the end. 

Yes, great sound and higher energy in all areas than seen or heard in along time.

Academy put their show together in 12 days

17 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Madison really got the crowd going. Fantastic performance!

Yes they did. Great feeling to see them with identity. This was my best LOS show. Smaller crowd true, but an appreciative enthusiastic. Personally I felt safer in the stadium yesterday than places I frequent on a regular basis. 

The corps were cranking, no holding back. In my opinion Music City smaller, but their best corps.  Phantom being Phantom again.  Smaller corps ready to grow now that they have their structure. Thanks to all of the corps for the effort and logistics to be there. Just feel they kept the needed link for the activity. Rindinaro and Potter made it interesting also.