DCI Physical Media

I am hopeful that some manner of physical media for the 2021 shows will be offered this year.  I'll be a little surprised if they do, and disappointed if they don't.

Nonetheless, for those that are collectors, I got the e-mail this morning that all A/V products are 50% off for the weekend (through 8/16).

https://store.dci.org/audio-video/

It helps me complete pieces of my own collection.  But it may also be an indicator of their future selling physical discs.  Hopefully it's just an effort for some additional cash flow and not part of any larger plan.

• Haha 1

I contacted DCI a few days ago.  I was told DVDs/Blu-rays are a no go this year.  They are still on the fence about a 2021 CD.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Craig Callen said:

I contacted DCI a few days ago.  I was told DVDs/Blu-rays are a no go this year.  They are still on the fence about a 2021 CD.

That's what the lady working the booth at the stadium said as well 😞

10 hours ago, Dr. Craig Callen said:

That's not surprising, but at the same time very disappointing...I guess they don't need to worry about whether all music rights were secured then...perhaps the corps themselves should make studio recordings...to preserve it...You can't count on FLO...

In order to produce the BluRays, you need to be able to sell enough to make it profitable. I’m not sure DCI could guarantee the sales. Though we still have one night left, audiences are down in Indy and fewer people subscribed to Flo. Fewer people saw the corps on tour. BOA and WGI are scheduled as of now, but that could change. Fans who attended shows, BOA, and WGI are huge sources of sales. In the past BOA Grand Nationals was the day of the biggest sales of the products. Featuring all the corps that participated would be expensive as far as acquiring rights. It could also make the cost of the final product out of reach. After this precarious year, DCI can probably not take the risk of producing a physical product that won’t make a profit. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any updates for 2021 Indy CDs?  Sad they're not producing Blu-rays, but understand.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

From what I have been told there will be no media this year, mostly due to copyright and royalty issues. 

Figures. The one year I really enjoyed nearly every corps top to bottom and would have gladly paid to have the audio at least in my car. 

• Like 2