Will This Be The New 'Normal?'

First, hello! I haven't been on the site for quite some time.

So here's my thoughts. Generally speaking, corps have multiple winter and spring in person camps before move in. I'm sure these are expensive for both the corps and the members. Seeing that this was not possible this year, and seeing that most of the corps put out pretty decent designs, do you think this will be the new 'normal?'

Will all the seasons be 4 weeks long? How does DCI generate income if there are no shows relative to past years? Will kids want to pay the usual fees for less than 2 months of activity?

I feel like this was a treading water year and that things need to return to normal or the activity will die.

• Like 2

Won't be surprised if there are some changes resulting from the experiences these past two years. Don't think they will be major changes, like dropping to a four-week season.

This year didn't seem like treading water. Bunch of staff, leaders, and performers put on a great tour given the situation. And they had to make key decisions months ago during great uncertainty. I think the corps and DCI did a fine job in 2021.

Edited by mjoakes
Spelling.
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Will all the seasons be 4 weeks long? How does DCI generate income if there are no shows relative to past years? Will kids want to pay the usual fees for less than 2 months of activity?

I feel like this was a treading water year and that things need to return to normal or the activity will die.

The activity needs to evolve to sustain itself and allow growth.  2021 had examples of that where expenses were more in line with reality.  

• Like 3

Providing we get through the Covid crisis, I would expect the season to begin around June 17 or so and end 2nd weekend of August. As always the individual corps can decide how much of that they can afford to take part in. It makes sense to offer more shows because shows = revenue and it also means bringing drum corps to more cities across the country. 

As for the camps, technology has made it easier to audition students from anywhere and to offer online instruction. Getting music and music edits, cuts, and changes to the students is easier with technology, so those winter camps are not imperative. Sure, nothing beats working with the ensemble or with small sections in a LIVE setting but if continued protocols need to stay in place -- and as of now I think they will -- then technology were certainly help. I think the corps have proven that they can get the bulk of the visual work done during the traditional 30+ day spring training from mid May to mid June, especially if the music is mostly learned by that point. 

If DCI were to shorten the season I think they would move Finals up 1 week to 1st weekend in August. We will know more about the schedule they plan for next year when the winter meetings conclude. 

I think it’s hard to determine what will change. I do think there could be more virtual auditions, but virtual auditions would make determining whether someone is a good fit for a corps due to subjective criteria such as whether the person has an attitude or the ability to take direction and work with others more difficult.

There could be more virtual practices outside of winter camps.

We could see fewer shows next year. There will be a need to rebuild audiences, especially for shows with smaller attendance.

Corps could still be reeling financially and as I said in another post, some corps may have trouble restarting. 

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

If DCI were to shorten the season I think they would move Finals up 1 week to 1st weekend in August. We will know more about the schedule they plan for next year when the winter meetings conclude. 

Moving finals would mean either moving San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown or cancelling one of them. All three are huge money makers. There is also the possibility that other things will be taking place in Indy. I know in the past there has been some convention the week prior to finals with 30,000 participants. I don’t know if they use Lucas Oil but I do know hotel space is hard to get.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:57 AM, Gantang said:

Exactly right. 

The only thing I see which could perhaps be different is corps may be able to use this off-season experiment as a better model to follow. That is, rather than get together for winter monthly camps, use the virtual model instead. I think it would also keep things pretty fresh for the members as well. Besides, the guard doesn't really get together until April anyway sans auditions. Other than that I would keep the old system in place.