Saturday Aug. 14 - DCI Celebration - The last dance

The BD performance has actually grown on me a good bit since my first viewing. BD is probably the only corps that could’ve gotten away with doing something this avant-garde but I don’t mean that in a bad way. 

I’m genuinely intrigued to see if they decide to build on this new concept in 2022.

• Like 1

This is the most Fan-Friendly DCI “Finals” ever. The crowd was full for the “12th Place corps” (Phantom Regiment) because of crowd buzz and not because who the judges told us were “better”  The last time I was here, the crowd wasn’t full for the 12th place corps.

The people here love drum corps. 

• Like 5

Just now, Poppycock said:

So BD and so NOR Cal. Other Worlds! 

Agreed. I can think of a few west coast cities that gave me a very similar vibe to what I just saw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. that was ...different.

I'll wanna watch again but it was pretty interesting in some good ways!  It's obviously not intended to be a field show.  They're using the film medium to its max.  

It 'deconstructs' drum corps into the various elements that BD masters so well.  Musicality, guard, visual body movement, percussion, pit. etc.  But only at points puts them all together. 

I've often wondered at what point BD will break out of the mold they've created for shows.  I mean, why mess with what wins year after year, but when is the creative team gonna do something different and go for broke and show us "what comes next."  

While I don't think we'll see what we saw on the video  put on the field next year, they might be signaling a shift with that production.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And there was NO crowd reaction to that video. None.

not even a 

wtf-confused.gif

• Haha 3