Saturday Aug. 14 - DCI Celebration - The last dance

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

As great as that just was (and 2019) I'm excited for them to do not the Beatles next year.

I believe you will have your wish. During the telecast yesterday, Bluecoats Corps Director said they will go in another direction next year and draw their 2022 musical inspiration from the works of other composers. He mentioned Shostakovich for one ( for certain ) and Bjork ( I believe ) as another singer/songwriter/ composer he mentioned as two.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I believe you will have your wish. During the telecast yesterday, Bluecoats Corps Director said they will go in another direction next year and draw their 2022 musical inspiration from the works of other composers. He mentioned Shostakovich for one ( for certain ) and Bjork ( I believe ) as another singer/songwriter/ composer he mentioned as two.

And he was totally serious about a Bjork/Shostakovich crossover. Who wouldn’t be? 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, gjramsey said:

They didn't have the white tarp at the Mesquite show.   It is needed for the finale to get the dots

I think they didn’t use the tarp at any of the shows where it was windy because of the risk of bunching/lifting up and causing members to trip. 

• Like 1

thank you DCI for saving my sanity....All the corps reaffirmed my hopes for 2022...particularly the corps that normally place 13 thru 18..keep up the good work..peace

• Like 3

Saw everything live yesterday after watching a few of the events on Flo. The shows were more exciting than I had expected, and it was just great to be there in person. Just a few quick things:

1. Great to see a kind of reset and renewed confidence out of Phantom, Madison, Cadets, Troopers. Maybe no scoring on a shortened season benefited several corps in ways tough to imagine back in fall 2019.
  2. Maybe no scores allowed everyone to relax and just perform. (Well, just design, teach, and perform.) But I missed the competitive angle.
  3. Blue Knights still one of my favorite corps to listen to in the stands. I almost never remember much about their shows, however.
  4. If I could snap my fingers and make that attic thing on the left disappear, the Cadets would have had a near perfect show. And Flo doesn't capture how sharp those uniforms look.
  5. Tough to be a little critical when everyone's in a we're all winners mood, but I'll go there: Boston's amping was just plain irritating. Such a great horn line. It didn't need the dial cranked up like that. I didn't notice it on Flo. For me, it diminished the show in person. They should have saved some money by not going with the video screens.
  6. Vanguard video: What a great way to showcase that corps and the talent in a video format. Crown was very good Crown as always, but SCV made me think there is some special creativity going on out in NoCal.
  7. Blue Devils video: Perplexing.
  8. Always glad to see Bluecoats being fun and distinctive Bluecoats. Because I'm not a big Beatles fan, this show (and the one in 2019) doesn't bring out the goosebumps as it does for so many others. But they are a great stew of talent out there on the field.

In 2022: Ready for Bluecoats to pivot directions, even a little. Ready for Blue Devils to shrug off whatever fever led to that video and go for #20. Ready for Vanguard to push the envelope ahead of everyone else. Not sure there is anything the Cavaliers can do for me to surpass 2019's Wrong Side of the Tracks, but I'm ready for them to make the attempt.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Lance said:

something tells me our idea of what "doesn't work" or "does work" might not correlate with how scoring works now. 

just a fact we have to face as the activity grows and evolves. we're not the first to go through it and won't be the last. 

Some frustrating words from a recent Phantom alumni on Reddit:

“Long build ups to climaxes are a thing of the past and it's a #### shame. I encountered it in 2014, we played Swan Lake with long musical phrases that told a story. The judges that year were telling our staff how unimpressive it was compared to what everyone else was doing. They tried their best to convince the judges that what we were doing deserved to be scored competitively with other corps but it fell on deaf ears apparently. The activity was on the precipice of major change all the way back in 2014. I consider the 2016 SCV show the last of it's kind.”

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d like to see the sheets allow for some diversity and for both types of designs to score well. 

Edited by Hrothgar15

37 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Some frustrating words from a recent Phantom alumni on Reddit:

“Long build ups to climaxes are a thing of the past and it's a #### shame…”

What we are seeing today is THIS generation’s style. My generation, with its innovations like “total concept shows” and breakneck drill had its heyday (and irritated the previous generation). If a style doesn’t do it for you, no need to worry! It will change again soon enough… and, sometimes, “what’s old is new again.”

• Like 3