Saturday Aug. 14 - DCI Celebration - The last dance

On 8/19/2021 at 8:25 PM, KVG_DC said:

Yah. As i've aged, i've noticed the heights thing getting a bit ... extra.  I would not go up there again.

As I’ve aged I find myself needing to hold onto handrails. Like white knuckle tight.  Not for fear of heights but knowledge that my balance is worsening.  As I’ve seen when I’ve been skiing “a fall could result in a long tumble”.   Or something like that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

As I’ve aged I find myself needing to hold onto handrails. Like white knuckle tight.  Not for fear of heights but knowledge that my balance is worsening.  As I’ve seen when I’ve been skiing “a fall could result in a long tumble”.   Or something like that.  

My favorite book series of all time is the “Master and Commander” series by Patrick O’Brian. It centers around the Napoleon Wars at sea from the British perspective. In it, their is an expression that when you walk in the ship, you have “a hand for yourself, and a hand for the ship.” It means to hold on to a rail (or rope) to protect your self from sudden lurches. I always say that to myself when walking up or down stairs (or on an escalator),and even got my family to say it as well. We always hold onto the rails now.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, Terri Schehr said:

There is no way I could sit up there.  I’m afraid of heights. 

Same, though it’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older. There are a few bridges I know white knuckle across when driving.

Maybe I can convince DCI to give me press box access again. It’s completely enclosed, even though it’s higher than the 600 sections, so I feel more than safe. Less chance of me passing out and doing a tumble the wrong way, DCI!

• Like 1

My photos from the 2021 DCI Celebration Saturday show in Indianapolis, Indiana are now uploaded to my Smugmug account and ready for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

https://medi-nerd.com/2021/08/21/2021-dci-celebration-indianapolis-saturday-photos/

DSC_0098-scaled-e1629572909272.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

Same, though it’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older. There are a few bridges I know white knuckle across when driving.

Maybe I can convince DCI to give me press box access again. It’s completely enclosed, even though it’s higher than the 600 sections, so I feel more than safe. Less chance of me passing out and doing a tumble the wrong way, DCI!

It does get worse as you get older.  I can’t even stand to see people on ladders working.  I had to leave my house when the people were installing lights and fans. 

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It does get worse as you get older.  I can’t even stand to see people on ladders working.  I had to leave my house when the people were installing lights and fans. 

Interesting...as I've grown older I'm also much more hesitant with heights now.  I don't remember being that hesitant earlier in life. 

My father had both knees replaced and his mobility was incredibly improved after. He then got on a ladder in the kitchen to replace a light bulb and fell off.  He did something to his right knee when he fell where the doctors could not control the resulting infection and had no choice but to remove the artificial knee and fuse his leg straight. 

He decided he was still going to drive with his right leg outstretched on the right side of the car front seat and his left foot controlling both the accelerator and brake pedal.   We all freaked out that he even considered driving still.  No matter what we said, he still drove.  

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Continental said:

Interesting...as I've grown older I'm also much more hesitant with heights now.  I don't remember being that hesitant earlier in life. 

My father had both knees replaced and his mobility was incredibly improved after. He then got on a ladder in the kitchen to replace a light bulb and fell off.  He did something to his right knee when he fell where the doctors could not control the resulting infection and had no choice but to remove the artificial knee and fuse his leg straight. 

He decided he was still going to drive with his right leg outstretched on the right side of the car front seat and his left foot controlling both the accelerator and brake pedal.   We all freaked out that he even considered driving still.  No matter what we said, he still drove.  

Unfortunately, we also become more stubborn with age.  

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, we also become more stubborn with age.  

You are so right.  The more his children complained the more obstinate he became. 

What really worried me was that where he lived (Ontario, Canada), they would only judge senior driver capability via a written exam.  My father's mind was sharp up until the end.  He always passed that exam. 

The mirrors ripped off his vehicle as a result of his attempt at driving told a different story. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I have always been heights hesitant.  I remember as a small kid we had this slide out back of the church that seemed 10 stories high.  It was probably a 12 foot slide to be fair, but taking those last steps to get to the top and i'm white knuckled on the hand bars feeling like the whole thing is gonna topple over.  And there's a line of annoyed kids on the ladder behind me.

I forget what age I was when we first visited Chicago and went up the Sears tower (this was before the 'stand on glass that leans out' insanity was put in.)   I remember the elevator making my ears clog then pop when we went into the observation deck.  Then almost vomiting when I saw out the window.