Saturday Aug. 14 - DCI Celebration - The last dance

20 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I have always been heights hesitant.  I remember as a small kid we had this slide out back of the church that seemed 10 stories high.  It was probably a 12 foot slide to be fair, but taking those last steps to get to the top and i'm white knuckled on the hand bars feeling like the whole thing is gonna topple over.  And there's a line of annoyed kids on the ladder behind me.

I forget what age I was when we first visited Chicago and went up the Sears tower (this was before the 'stand on glass that leans out' insanity was put in.)   I remember the elevator making my ears clog then pop when we went into the observation deck.  Then almost vomiting when I saw out the window.

I lived in the Chicago area for 63 years and I wouldn’t go to those observation towers. I went to the stratosphere in Las Vegas and I wouldn’t look out the window.

Edited by Terri Schehr

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I lived in the Chicago area for 63 years and I wouldn’t go to those observation towers. I went to the stratosphere in Fas Vegas and I wouldn’t look out the window.

So I suppose the bungee-jump off the Stratosphere (or the roller coaster) didn't happen either?

22 hours ago, Continental said:

Interesting...as I've grown older I'm also much more hesitant with heights now.  I don't remember being that hesitant earlier in life. 

My father had both knees replaced and his mobility was incredibly improved after. He then got on a ladder in the kitchen to replace a light bulb and fell off.  He did something to his right knee when he fell where the doctors could not control the resulting infection and had no choice but to remove the artificial knee and fuse his leg straight. 

He decided he was still going to drive with his right leg outstretched on the right side of the car front seat and his left foot controlling both the accelerator and brake pedal.   We all freaked out that he even considered driving still.  No matter what we said, he still drove.  

My dad had a medical condition that slowly made his shoulder and back muscles harden and stiffen.  He lost virtually all mobility in his neck and shoulders by his early 70's, as well as any night vision.  I cringed every time he and my mom pulled up in the car and he was behind the wheel.  When he was around 77, we were in the car going to a restaurant and my mom was driving.  He said something about driving later when he felt better and I just lost it.  I yelled at him that he was not driving ever again.  It was too dangerous and he was not physically capable of being a safe driver.  He got ###### at me (which was nothing new), but my mother never let him drive after that.  My mom and brother later thanked me for being the bad guy.

Sometimes you have to risk being the ######## to keep them safe.  I'm glad I took that risk.

• Like 1