Cadets 2022 Discussions

14 hours ago, FTNK said:

A surefire ticket out of finals. Seriously, the idea that we should keep rehashing stuff from 40 years ago, that has already been rehashed twice - terrible. Why not bring some new and unique music and programming to the field, like SCV...and BD...and Crown...and Boston...

Exactly. I'm sick of the rehashing. We need Cadets shows that introduce NEW music.

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Yep. See 2000.

And to think, we almost played Appalachian Spring that year. 

Probably an unpopular opinion around here anyway, maybe even blasphemy, but I think The Cadets could use a whole lot of changes for '22 and beyond. Music for sure and some sort of modern update to the cadet uniform. The color scheme is fine, but surely they could bring these into the 21st century. 

After finals in 2019, I ran into lots of Cadets folks at the airport, some I knew, others knew people I traveled with and the conversations were sad. Staff members and volunteers were discouraged. The issues have been mentioned in the past, so we don’t need to go over them again, but I expected 2020 to be a disaster and wondered if we were seeing the beginning of the end of the Cadets. We’ve all heard there were too many folks who would not let that happen, but realistically many great corps are no more for a variety of reasons. Star never returned, there was not a changing of minds regarding 27th, Troopers and  Madison have held on but have never returned to their glory days. Glassmen had a fund raising campaign because they were going to take a one year hiatus. Blue Stars are really the only corps that had a glorious past, went off the radar, then returned. 

People seem worried about Cadets rehashing old shows. Cadets pulling off 2021 could very well be the biggest accomplishment of drum corps last summer. It may have been a greatest hits show with a familiar look, but that does not mean they will be looking to the vault for 2022. Cadets are in a different place this coming year. I’d probably enjoy an old school show, but I don’t expect to see one. Personally at this time of the year, i don’t worry about a corps rehashing old shows. I am more interested in objective reports from camps, not the public relations everything is great, but the potential talent, the enthusiasm of staff regarding recruits, maybe a bit about the show though more often than not show info is more speculation until an official announcement is made. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Oh, OK; I see what you mean.  Kind of like the 2019 "Behold" show? Do, do, do better! :whistle: :spitting:

You clearly DON'T see what I mean if THAT'S the show you use to try to cement my point. 

8 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Probably an unpopular opinion around here anyway, maybe even blasphemy, but I think The Cadets could use a whole lot of changes for '22 and beyond. Music for sure and some sort of modern update to the cadet uniform. The color scheme is fine, but surely they could bring these into the 21st century. 

Definitely NOT an unpopular opinion as far as I'm concerned. Besides, they way drum corps is nowadays, I'm absolutely sure it is possible to modernize that uniform while keeping the same color scheme. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Yep. See 2000.

and 92 and 93, and  83-87, 89, 97-98, 00, 05, 11.....

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Star never returned, there was not a changing of minds regarding 27th, Troopers and  Madison have held on but have never returned to their glory days. Glassmen had a fund raising campaign because they were going to take a one year hiatus. Blue Stars are really the only corps that had a glorious past, went off the radar, then returned. 

To those who followed Open/A-60/DII-III they never fell off the radar. While they “went off the radar” they won four world championships in their class. People on the coasts weren’t always aware of their tenacity during that time when they were touring mainly in the Midwest. I just gotta stick up for the open class corps that do so much to keep this activity going.  🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

To those who followed Open/A-60/DII-III they never fell off the radar. While they “went off the radar” they won four world championships in their class. People on the coasts weren’t always aware of their tenacity during that time when they were touring mainly in the Midwest. I just gotta stick up for the open class corps that do so much to keep this activity going.  🙂

Ii’m not criticizing Blue Stars and I know the history of the rebuilding years, if anything I’m giving them credit for their accomplishments. That being said, being a one time runner up at the first DCI finals to having a time in the mid-80’s where all competitions were local and there were no scores to report, at least according to DCX, kind of qualifies as falling off the radar. 

• Haha 1

A lot of corps out of the top 6 need to attract and recruit ... talent. 
You can't perform a grade 6 show, if you do not have grade 6 talent.

• Like 1