Cadets 2022 Discussions

10 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

A lot of corps out of the top 6 need to attract and recruit ... talent. 
You can't perform a grade 6 show, if you do not have grade 6 talent.

however cadets built the legend on grade 6 work ethic, even if the talent was not as individually talented as other top corps had. talent is key, but so is work ethic.

and more so is grade 8 teachers and design.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:08 PM, Jeff Ream said:

however cadets built the legend on grade 6 work ethic, even if the talent was not as individually talented as other top corps had. talent is key, but so is work ethic.

and more so is grade 8 teachers and design.

Jeff, the problem with that for about 10 years now, is do you want work your ### off all day long or go to a corps like Crown, BD, SCV, Bluecoats, Boston and not the rigors of the other drum corps? I saw this up close over the past 15 years.

5 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

Jeff, the problem with that for about 10 years now, is do you want work your ### off all day long or go to a corps like Crown, BD, SCV, Bluecoats, Boston and not the rigors of the other drum corps? I saw this up close over the past 15 years.

the key is getting a balance. talent alone does not guarantee success. some of the laziest people on earth are the most talented. You need all 3 to be successful in DCI. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why it would be an unpopular opinion to create new traditions that focus on excellence that can compete in today's DCI.  New traditions cannot tarnish the Cadets' identity.  Look at any of their championship shows, and they're just awesome, period.  That's the identity. For Between Angels and Demons they could have worn red and white t-shirts and jeans, and for The Zone, they could have been wearing tank tops and swim trunks, and it would have done nothing to tarnish their identity.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't understand why it would be an unpopular opinion to create new traditions that focus on excellence that can compete in today's DCI.  New traditions cannot tarnish the Cadets' identity.  Look at any of their championship shows, and they're just awesome, period.  That's the identity. For Between Angels and Demons they could have worn red and white t-shirts and jeans, and for The Zone, they could have been wearing tank tops and swim trunks, and it would have done nothing to tarnish their identity.  

I dunno, Lance... we wore some shoooorrrrrrt shorts in rehearsal, buddy... had we been in public, the identity would have been officially tarnished. 😉 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Lance said:

well......alumni. see Madison also

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 12/6/2021 at 8:55 AM, Lance said:

Would have gotten some quizzical looks, though.

I think Cadets are a spent force in terms of competing at the top of DCI. I think they are at the point where they can either design good shows for the bottom half of finals, or do "tradition" and be like the Troopers were 15 years ago.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1