Cadets 2022 Discussions

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true story. i know someone that marched Cadets in 99, didn't like it and went to BD in 2000. so he left a 4th/5th place to corps to go to a 3rd/4th place corps.

Lol I remember who that person is. 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, guard2004 said:

I'd like to add to this as a newly contracted Cadet in the color guard.  I'm a senior in HS and have been into DCI since my junior year.  I'll be honest, Crown was my first choice.  A jam packed academic schedule with my own orgaizations marching arts made it so I couldn't put anywhere near enough time as I should have into the required video auditions (they determine who comes to the Dec camp.  A process I'm not fond of but I digress).  When I wasn't offered a contract I was torn between joining my friend (auditioning for Bloo), going with where one of my techs wanted me to audition (Boston), Cadets, and SCV.  I was really only a fan of Cadets shows (minus 2019) and SCV shows (2017-2019).  I ended up at Cadets for the Nov audition in Salem, NJ and I can say wholeheartedly that there is a MAJOR sense of "let's make Cadets really good again" at least in finals.  I'm really only super involved in the guard but I'm guessing my experience carries over into the other sections.  When I looked at Crown I wanted the abstract show concepts that were done well and a really good work ethic/environment for all the students.  Cadets has that and after hearing some info about Crown being somewhat cutthroat (most notably in brass and in some cases, guard) I'm already questioning if I'd audition next year.  

What I'm trying to say is that Cadets is in a really good positon to move up.  Their new director is the old Boston assistant director, most of the guard staff is alumni, admins were REALLY knowledgeable and super friendly.  People are talking about their 2021 success and my guess is they're aiming for top 6 or 7 (this is my guess so take it LIGHTLY).  Yeah they probably won't be getting the Zingali, Ott, or any of the other caption awards, but the general mindset seems to be putting Cadets back on the map as a force to recon with but still maintaing a sort of wildcard position they've always seem to have.  You know they'll be fantastic regardless

Glad you found a home.

Kick ###! Mainly your own. Go be great!

FHNSAB.

• Like 5

On 12/17/2021 at 11:11 PM, Jeff Ream said:

true story. i know someone that marched Cadets in 99, didn't like it and went to BD in 2000. so he left a 4th/5th place to corps to go to a 3rd/4th place corps.

Little Geoffrey from the “Toy Souldier”show left for BD the next year and missed out on the 2011 championship season. I think BD won color guard that year though so perhaps for him it was worth it. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, 2000Cadet said:

a unique character,, thats for sure!

On 12/18/2021 at 9:17 AM, 2000Cadet said:

We had somebody join BD in 84 after marching Garfield 83. From 1st to 2nd. He wanted to play jazz.

One of my former students just told me they got a contract for Cadets!!!

I'm SO FREAKIN' EXCITED! 😄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Have been enjoying all the comments. I agree with those that say the Cadets need to move forward now with new music. One piece of music I would love to see them, or maybe Phantom Regiment, do is Dance of the Jesters. I am not sure if a drum corps has done this to date. It's quite fast and demanding. Would be a fantastic closer to a show featuring ballet and modern dance. Check it out and see what you think. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF6Zct1dCU

Here is another piece I think would be a great opener for Cadets. To me this is very Cadets like. They would certainly have to work out the copyrights issue and get permission to arrange, but I think it would be worth it. It's a well-written Fanfare. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-Dt6g91OE

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Have been enjoying all the comments. I agree with those that say the Cadets need to move forward now with new music. One piece of music I would love to see them, or maybe Phantom Regiment, do is Dance of the Jesters. I am not sure if a drum corps has done this to date. It's quite fast and demanding. Would be a fantastic closer to a show featuring ballet and modern dance. Check it out and see what you think. 🙂

Fine piece, and one that I didn't know.....I think it would work well......Tchaikovsky was a brilliant composer.......I like this one, too............Suite No. 3 Finale..........I actually have it written (brass and pit anyway....didn't even write battery because I don't write enough notes...lol), but have not tried to pitch it to anyone, plus, I am old.....lol.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

A great tune! The marching band I taught played it my son's senior year, 1997.

• Like 1