Cadets 2022 Discussions

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Have been enjoying all the comments. I agree with those that say the Cadets need to move forward now with new music. One piece of music I would love to see them, or maybe Phantom Regiment, do is Dance of the Jesters. I am not sure if a drum corps has done this to date. It's quite fast and demanding. Would be a fantastic closer to a show featuring ballet and modern dance. Check it out and see what you think. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF6Zct1dCU

I could see a Gail Royer era SCV playing this. But I can also see a 2022 Cadets give it a whirl. I don’t think there is enough low brass anchoring the piece for PR. Not enough Buicks.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

On 12/28/2021 at 7:45 PM, jwillis35 said:

Have been enjoying all the comments. I agree with those that say the Cadets need to move forward now with new music. One piece of music I would love to see them, or maybe Phantom Regiment, do is Dance of the Jesters. I am not sure if a drum corps has done this to date. It's quite fast and demanding. Would be a fantastic closer to a show featuring ballet and modern dance. Check it out and see what you think. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXF6Zct1dCU

On 12/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, jwillis35 said:

Here is another piece I think would be a great opener for Cadets. To me this is very Cadets like. They would certainly have to work out the copyrights issue and get permission to arrange, but I think it would be worth it. It's a well-written Fanfare. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-Dt6g91OE

See, this, THIS is what I'm talking about. Both pieces are fantastic and I could definitely see Cadets playing them. And that Fanfare gave me some classic, graceful thoughts of vintage Cadets. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping Cadets weather this current storm in DCI land.  One of my students was going to march Spirit this year, and a former student is marching Cadets, so my heart is churning right now.  

I'm hoping that Cadets have as hardcore of an attitude about abuse, from the top on down, as they do with their work ethic.    

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, FTNK said:

Seems like for over 20 years there has been about a 50/50 chance of having a good year, or a really bad year with an embarassing show. Lack of consistency in member experience. Why not go to BD if you can?

A book from 2018, New Power argues in part that among younger generations today loyalty to groups is much weaker than in previous decades. Young people still want cool experiences, but they connect better to individuals around them than to any group or organization bringing them together. There is less interest in joining for a long-term experience.

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

A book from 2018, New Power argues in part that among younger generations today loyalty to groups is much weaker than in previous decades. Young people still want cool experiences, but they connect better to individuals around them than to any group or organization bringing them together. There is less interest in joining for a long-term experience.

A good thought and probably a real factor, but also… who can afford to march 3 or 4 years in a top corps when fees plus travel to camps is like $7-8k a year?

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, FTNK said:

Seems like for over 20 years there has been about a 50/50 chance of having a good year, or a really bad year with an embarassing show. Lack of consistency in member experience. Why not go to BD if you can?

It depends on how you rate a "really bad year".  I think the term "embarassing show" is particularly harsh.  You mention about going to BD.  Yes, they always have a high talent level, and that propels them competitively every year.  However, they have won at times with shows that impressed the judging community more than the audience, with other shows from competitors doing better in that regard.    To this day, the Cadets are 2nd only to BD in terms of titles.  You mention 2015-2016.  Although the 2015 Cadet corps lost their mid-season lead, they are still the only corps in DCI history to win both high brass and high percussion in a championship round (semifinals) and not win the show, never mind the 4th that they came in, and they took high brass in finals as well.   That was one fine show musically, and hardly an embarrassment.  They did fall off a bit after that year, due to various reasons.   When Jay Bocook left the Cadets, there was a noticeable drop in the quality of brass arrangements and brass performance.  Throw in the troubles of 2018, and they battled through things that would have forced lesser corps to fold or have at least a year of inactivity.  But they hung in, and not only went out, but were solidly in finals.   Now, Bocook is back, the brass staff is strong, other captions are strong, and last year's corps was significantly better than the prior two seasons, and were very well received.    The kids who go to the corps, like most corps, learn to work hard and are given a positive experience.   That hasn't changed.  Yes, many kids flock to BD to get a ring....I do wonder if they consider it a failure if they pick the wrong year and do not get one.....if "consistency in member experience" only equates to winning, does that mean all corps other than BD fail?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjoakes said:

It's a bit sad that the dedication has shifted to the individual (self) and not to the group/organization.  There are kids who march in multiple corps during their youth; some as many as 3 or 4 corps.  I guess it's for "varied experiences"; I do understand if a kid goes to a corps, marches a season, is unhappy there, and decides to make a change.    However, one very common thing is that a kid will march in an open or world class corps (perhaps a non-finalist, but in some cases, even a finalist), and will then jump ship at the end of that season to join a top 6 corps. Also, there are more individuals than ever who only do one season due to costs, and the percentage of kids who do three or more seasons (which was common back in the day) has dwindled big time.  It would be interesting to see if kids would choose to march more seasons if the cost to march was suddenly cut in half or more, but I don't expect that to happen with the current model.

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

It depends on how you rate a "really bad year".  I think the term "embarassing show" is particularly harsh.  You mention about going to BD.  Yes, they always have a high talent level, and that propels them competitively every year.  However, they have won at times with shows that impressed the judging community more than the audience, with other shows from competitors doing better in that regard.    To this day, the Cadets are 2nd only to BD in terms of titles.  You mention 2015-2016.  Although the 2015 Cadet corps lost their mid-season lead, they are still the only corps in DCI history to win both high brass and high percussion in a championship round (semifinals) and not win the show, never mind the 4th that they came in, and they took high brass in finals as well.   That was one fine show musically, and hardly an embarrassment.  They did fall off a bit after that year, due to various reasons.   When Jay Bocook left the Cadets, there was a noticeable drop in the quality of brass arrangements and brass performance.  Throw in the troubles of 2018, and they battled through things that would have forced lesser corps to fold or have at least a year of inactivity.  But they hung in, and not only went out, but were solidly in finals.   Now, Bocook is back, the brass staff is strong, other captions are strong, and last year's corps was significantly better than the prior two seasons, and were very well received.    The kids who go to the corps, like most corps, learn to work hard and are given a positive experience.   That hasn't changed.  Yes, many kids flock to BD to get a ring....I do wonder if they consider it a failure if they pick the wrong year and do not get one.....if "consistency in member experience" only equates to winning, does that mean all corps other than BD fail?

Funny how one corps " BAD" season would be another's " HUGE" success....lol

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

It's a bit sad that the dedication has shifted to the individual (self) and not to the group/organization.  There are kids who march in multiple corps during their youth; some as many as 3 or 4 corps.  I guess it's for "varied experiences"; I do understand if a kid goes to a corps, marches a season, is unhappy there, and decides to make a change.    However, one very common thing is that a kid will march in an open or world class corps (perhaps a non-finalist, but in some cases, even a finalist), and will then jump ship at the end of that season to join a top 6 corps. Also, there are more individuals than ever who only do one season due to costs, and the percentage of kids who do three or more seasons (which was common back in the day) has dwindled big time.  It would be interesting to see if kids would choose to march more seasons if the cost to march was suddenly cut in half or more, but I don't expect that to happen with the current model.

Although I also hate how expensive the activity has become, it's not just the model. Winter programs with little travel compared to summer is very expensive, especially independent groups. Gone are the days of free or cheap rehearsal sites ( if you can get them )  church or community support ...etc etc

Should mix Holst and John Adams… mash up of Fugal Overture and Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

• Like 1