Cadets 2022 Discussions

9 hours ago, FTNK said:

IMO it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it well, in both design and execution.

this

15 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I understand that, but drum corps can't know what every individual enjoys, so they put out shows they think everyone would enjoy.  

I disagree with this .

Some corps, maybe.

In other cases I think the show designers put together shows that they enjoy or that stroke their egos.

If the fans don't appreciate or enjoy it, its because we're not sophisticated enough to understand their art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

In other cases I think the show designers put together shows that they enjoy or that stroke their egos.

And they do this under the guise of advancing the activity, creating art, being ground breaking.  The activity would be in a much better place if they took an entertainment first approach.

I may be a minority opinion on here, but I think most corps HAVE been focusing more lately on the accessibility of their shows..  at least over the past decade or so.  Anyone remember some of the bizarre shows in the late 90s/early 2000s? I find the more recent shows to be more engaging, both in terms of musical choices and visual  effects.

Edited by craiga
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I might be in the minority here but I actually like a show that challenges me a bit. I know, not every complex show design works. But I’m not going to be turned off to a show just because I’m not familiar with what they’re playing or I don’t immediately understand the theme. I get introduced to new music all the time thanks to drum corps. That’s one of the many reasons I love the activity. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, lowend said:

And they do this under the guise of advancing the activity, creating art, being ground breaking.  The activity would be in a much better place if they took an entertainment first approach.

I think it has more to do with their trying to draw in many more people who may not necessarily know what drum corps is, and creating shows that they think would appeal to more people in this current period.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:09 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I think it has more to do with their trying to draw in many more people who may not necessarily know what drum corps is, and creating shows that they think would appeal to more people in this current period.  

What would appeal to more people are shows that use "recognizable" music.

2021 showed what type of music can draw.

A number of shows appeal to music majors, but not the general public.

Things like "layering" may impress music aficionados.

But when "layering" obscures the melodies, it gets lost on a lot of us.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

What would appeal to more people are shows that use "recognizable" music.

2021 showed what type of music can draw.

A number of shows appeal to music majors, but not the general public.

Things like "layering" may impress music aficionados.

But when "layering" obscures the melodies, it gets lost on a lot of us.

The only way to recognize music is to put it out there for people to hear it.

You didn't just recognize something without hearing it for the first time.

Seems that some people just want to keep hearing music that's been played ad nauseam.

With all the beautiful music we have on this planet, I think drum corps needs to get away from rehashing the same music.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

The only way to recognize music is to put it out there for people to hear it.

You didn't just recognize something without hearing it for the first time.

Seems that some people just want to keep hearing music that's been played ad nauseam.

With all the beautiful music we have on this planet, I think drum corps needs to get away from rehashing the same music.

I agree with this 100%....but I also think it needs to be accessible 😁  You had a great point previously when asking how we define what accessible is?  It's not easy, but to refer back to a Supreme Court justice:  I'll know it when I see it!

• Like 1

Alrighty, from 14-18, Bluecoats introduced me to a ton of artists I'd not enountered.  This was with all the layering and overlapping of tunes together.  And also put on some of the most entertaining toe tapping grooving shows for me as well.  If this isn't 'accessible' while being 'innovative and creative' I'm not sure what is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2