Cadets 2022 Discussions

12 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

The only way to recognize music is to put it out there for people to hear it.

You didn't just recognize something without hearing it for the first time.

Seems that some people just want to keep hearing music that's been played ad nauseam.

With all the beautiful music we have on this planet, I think drum corps needs to get away from rehashing the same music.

Your post was about shows that were designed to "draw in many more people who may not necessarily  know what drum corps is . . . ".

It wasn't about keeping things "fresh" for fans that already follow the activity.

If you're talking about attracting people who aren't familiar with the activity, and who aren't music majors, you have give them music they can  relate to.

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

If you're talking about attracting people who aren't familiar with the activity, and who aren't music majors, you have give them music they can  relate to.

I also think that accessibility extends to the visual program and appearance.  There are many places where the fluttering and spandex and movement and dance are the standard....there are also many parts of the country where uniforms, marching, and school colors are the norm.  Who are you marketing to?  My kids literally laugh at some of the movement, writhing, and costumes on the field.  There was a shot of a performer on a bench a few years ago that I literally thought was going to get me parent calls because of how revealing the costume was.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

The only way to recognize music is to put it out there for people to hear it.

You didn't just recognize something without hearing it for the first time.

Seems that some people just want to keep hearing music that's been played ad nauseam.

With all the beautiful music we have on this planet, I think drum corps needs to get away from rehashing the same music.

So many of my favorite shows have music I had not previously  heard often, heard at all, or heard in that way.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Your post was about shows that were designed to "draw in many more people who may not necessarily  know what drum corps is . . . ".

It wasn't about keeping things "fresh" for fans that already follow the activity.

that doesnt mean fans have to know the music. we have seen very well known songs destroyed due to the arrangement. to me how its arranged is often more important than whats arranged

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that doesnt mean fans have to know the music. we have seen very well known songs destroyed due to the arrangement. to me how its arranged is often more important than whats arranged

I agree 100% about certain arrangements.

I'm not a music person.

Would arrangements include "layering" ?

Sometimes, to my untrained ears, layering makes it difficult

to hear the song's melody.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:11 AM, rpbobcat said:

First time I heard drum corps, I heard music I'd never heard before. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree 100% about certain arrangements.

I'm not a music person.

Would arrangements include "layering" ?

Sometimes, to my untrained ears, layering makes it difficult

to hear the song's melody.

thats an issue in design and possibly instruction if you can't discern the melodic content

• 2 months later...

Saying this now.  People will be blown away at the show this year.  expect something different but with a  cadets twist of course.  we've got bocook back and stacktig as a consultant.  2021 drill writer is still here and Darcie Aungst is the creative director (works at Dartmouth HS whos indoor percussion has been killing it under her for a while now).  I won't spoil anything else

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, guard2004 said:

Saying this now.  People will be blown away at the show this year.  expect something different but with a  cadets twist of course.  we've got bocook back and stacktig as a consultant.  2021 drill writer is still here and Darcie Aungst is the creative director (works at Dartmouth HS whos indoor percussion has been killing it under her for a while now).  I won't spoil anything else

Always great to hear some good stuff coming out of Cadets. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guard2004 said:

I’m already on the edge of my seat! Next to those naughty little Devils, Cadets are high on my list for getting back in the hunt for a medal. 

• Like 4