Cadets 2022 Discussions

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Cadets + Bocook = All is right with the world

Give me some mello runs or a hornline run, and I'm good. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, guard2004 said:

Saying this now.  People will be blown away at the show this year.  expect something different but with a  cadets twist of course.  we've got bocook back and stacktig as a consultant.  2021 drill writer is still here and Darcie Aungst is the creative director (works at Dartmouth HS whos indoor percussion has been killing it under her for a while now).  I won't spoil anything else

GO Garfield!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:09 AM, rpbobcat said:

I agree 100% about certain arrangements.

I'm not a music person.

Would arrangements include "layering" ?

Sometimes, to my untrained ears, layering makes it difficult

to hear the song's melody.

Layering is generally a term used to describe the visual layers of a show. Often in the early part of the season a corps may have a basic sketch on the field. That can include music, too, but in general the term "layer" refers to how the visual program (guard, drill, body and dance, staging, design concepts and colors, etc.) adds elements in order to further define the show's theme, concept, or story. 

When it comes to music specifically we use three general terms: composition, arrangement, and orchestration. There are others, but in short a composer is the person who originally wrote the song or theme. That person may also have orchestrated the work or they may have hired someone to orchestrate for a specific ensemble. This is common in Broadway or TV and Film work.

An arrangement is a re-ordering of the song's elements. This can include extending or abbreviating sections of the work, adding transitions or a tag, and even cutting things out of the original song or theme in order to fit time criteria. This may also include changing the style of the original work (a jazzy version of the Rite of Spring for instance).

Most of the time in drum and bugle corps what we hear are arrangements that have to be re-orchestrated for brass, field percussion, and pit. The arrangement is essentially taking the material that you wish to use from the original work, ordering it as you wish, deciding on style, and usually condensing the time to make it work for your show. Key signature, chords, solos, intros, tags, and other elements are a part of this process.  The orchestration of that arrangement is where the writer determines what instruments play and when, how chords are voiced within the sections, and the use of other writing techniques in order to achieve the colors and moods that are desired. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised to see this thread so quiet lately but things are happening!

Last week, Cadets released their tax documents and annual report from last year. Love the transparency....

https://cadets.org/cae-releases-2021-annual-report-financials

Today is Maroon & Gold day and we will finally see what the show is all about. Excited to see where they after huge success in 2021.

https://cadets.org/mgday <== Show details

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Surprised to see this thread so quiet lately but things are happening!

Last week, Cadets released their tax documents and annual report from last year. Love the transparency....

https://cadets.org/cae-releases-2021-annual-report-financials

Today is Maroon & Gold day and we will finally see what the show is all about. Excited to see where they after huge success in 2021.

https://cadets.org/mgday <== Show details

Words can't express how happy I am with this leadership team. Definitely making up for the years of ridiculousness that happened. I guess their show title is apropos. 

• Like 4

Cadets' future with Ron Lambert at the helm is bright. There is now an adult in charge, as evidenced by the success of 2021. 

• Like 4