Cadets 2022 Discussions

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Also, to circle back to the topic, the Cadets are now in great hands. Ron Lambert is a great guy and well organized.  He will bring them to a new level.

I heard nothing but great things when he was at Boston.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

reduce the 6 weeks of spring training with its increased costs but no revenue and boom...savings

No doubt......I think if they worked at it, the corps could "get by" just fine on around 1/2 of the budgets that they

have now.......I also noticed that they are doing far fewer shows this year than 2018.....BD only has 18 contests, and

Crown 19.....Surf is lowest with 14....Cavies are highest with 26...........in 1983, the Cadets had 42 contests (41-1...a very good year...lol)....less shows equals less income, and money is money......but I doubt the kids are  paying one less dollar......

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Not saying that it didn't happen in the past.....starting in an open (or back in the day, "A")  corps,  and then advancing to a "big boy" at a more mature age was common, and that still happens frequently.  What I was implying is that jumping from one big corps to another big corps didn't happen back then as frequently as it does now.....and economics/cost is definitely impacting the number of seasons members choose to march.....many more "one and done" members, and many who do 2 seasons and that's it.  

Agree with that, for sure. I know of some who moved around between the class 'A' level corps, but I agree it was much less back then.

In the modern era of competitive MB, the whole model is different than back in the past. Lots of kids never did marching band pre-DCI; they started in small corps and maybe moved up. Those that did MB in that era most likely did not compete. MB and drum corps were more parallel activities then. Today, HS MB is the training ground and took the place of those small corps from pre-DCI (and even in the DCI era to an extent). Kids march 4 years of HS MB and then a year or two of drum corps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Jeff Ream said:

reduce the 6 weeks of spring training with its increased costs but no revenue and boom...savings

Last year many groups put quality products on the field with a 2-3 week camp! 

5 hours ago, lowend said:

And many of them were more enjoyable because they were more accessible.

I never understood this idea of a show having to be "accessible." Though some of it I may not like, I can appreciate it regardless. Art is art in my book. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I never understood this idea of a show having to be "accessible." Though some of it I may not like, I can appreciate it regardless. Art is art in my book. 

To me there is a difference between being able to appreciate something and being able to enjoy it.  I went to an event featuring digital projections of Van Gogh paintings and it was really cool.  I could appreciate the quality of his artwork....but I don't really enjoy it.  While it was a fun one-off experience, I don't want to look at a Van Gogh every day. I would rather have a Rockwell, or Kinkade, or Bob Ross print hanging on my wall because that's what I enjoy.   Now, some will judge that as basic or low brow, and that's fine because it's what brings me happiness.  I can appreciate the difficulty of a show like Felliniesque, but it sure doesn't bring me enjoyment like Pirates of Lake Mendota or Angels & Demons or Speakeasy.  

3 hours ago, lowend said:

To me there is a difference between being able to appreciate something and being able to enjoy it.  I went to an event featuring digital projections of Van Gogh paintings and it was really cool.  I could appreciate the quality of his artwork....but I don't really enjoy it.  While it was a fun one-off experience, I don't want to look at a Van Gogh every day. I would rather have a Rockwell, or Kinkade, or Bob Ross print hanging on my wall because that's what I enjoy.   Now, some will judge that as basic or low brow, and that's fine because it's what brings me happiness.  I can appreciate the difficulty of a show like Felliniesque, but it sure doesn't bring me enjoyment like Pirates of Lake Mendota or Angels & Demons or Speakeasy.  

I understand that, but drum corps can't know what every individual enjoys, so they put out shows they think everyone would enjoy. Surely they understand that not everyone will enjoy their show, but to call it inaccessible really only means it's inaccessible to you and maybe many more people as well. 

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I understand that, but drum corps can't know what every individual enjoys, so they put out shows they think everyone would enjoy. Surely they understand that not everyone will enjoy their show, but to call it inaccessible really only means it's inaccessible to you and maybe many more people as well. 

And that's perfectly fine. Art is in the eye of the beholder, after all.  I vote with my money.  There are places where that type of show plays well. Those places look down on where I am as being behind the times. If I put one of those shows on the field I wouldn't have a have a band left; so, I do things my people and I enjoy.