Phantom Regiment 2022

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Had this discussion elsewhere. If they redid any other show would people have reacted the same as they did to the iconic 03? Say the 2004 or 2015 shows? My bet is no. 

No, but they would have for 2008 or 1996.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:28 PM, kdaddy said:

A few items on my 2022 wishlist...

- JD Shaw continues to lead the brass caption.
- Let the design team get weird. The 2020 show was going to be Mahler's 5th, so not exactly weird, but certainly something new.  
- Allow electronics to be more substantial than choral voiceovers. Rob Ferguson leads Matrix Percussion for crying out loud - "he's a peacock, you gotta let him fly." 

Unplug that crap and let the horns do what they’re suppose to do.  

• Thanks 3

To be honest I didn't hear too much synth usage in Phantom's show, at least on recordings (though I'm sure they would be more present when viewed live). Maybe a few choral patches here or there that were take it or leave it.

Edited by Hrothgar15

22 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

To be honest I didn't hear too much synth usage in Phantom's show, at least on recordings (though I'm sure they would be more present when viewed live). Maybe a few choral patches here or there that were take it or leave it.

The lack of Thunderous Goo™ in both Phantom and Cadets' shows in comparison to 2019 was ... nice.

• Like 5

For anyone eligible:

The 2022 audition waiting list opens tomorrow! I can only guess that the design team is working on something very special and uniquely Phantom that is going to build off of a successful 2021 year.

Edited by college-phan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can say is I’ve been rewatching this year’s show over and over, and it literally makes me tear up every time. I’ve been a fan for nearly 40 years, through the ups and downs, and I was terribly afraid I’d never have the feelings I had watching them in earlier years. It seemed like they were destined to fall out of the top 12 before someone could make the changes necessary to be what we all knew they could be. I hoped each year that someone would do something, but no one had the secret sauce. Not surprisingly, the secret was to do what they’ve always done, but do it with more heart and feeling than anyone else. I LOVED the championship years, but I would be thrilled to see them do this kind of a show in the top 6 year after year. The fans ate it up. It was like drum corps for the people was back again. I was in Indy on Saturday. People were losing the freaking minds before they played a note, and when they did the kick wedge at the end, the whole place erupted. The standing ovation started at the crab step and went on for 2 minutes. It was a total love fest for them. People in my section (237) were high 5ing each other and screaming. It’s what I used to love about DCI, and why I never gave up hope that that kind of exhilaration might someday return.

I think the point of their fan favorite vote is that there is a place for diversity of styles, and that what fans love and what gets them out of their seats must be considered. There is room for many styles and perspectives of what drum corps is, and fans need to see shows like Harmonic Journey rewarded if we are to continue to attract diverse audiences. 

Thank you, Regiment, thank you! I will enjoy listening and watching this show for years to come. You left it all on the field. It was awe inspiring to see what you accomplished in a few weeks. I hope some of you are reading this, because I am one of many, many people who were not only entertained, but who had a life-moment Saturday night in LOS. You are loved and appreciated. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:24 PM, Brian Tuma said:

It doesn’t need to be one or the other. The top corps enhance their shows with electronics and there’s still many of us drooling over their horn lines. 

Of the top corps this year bac had the most hornline amplification and it sounded horrible .  All corps should stop amping the entire musical ensemble it’s distracting and ruins the effect of the overall sound .  If music is Coming from the left I should not hear it right and center....👎

• Like 2