Phantom Regiment 2022

I've gotten tired of saying "Regiment members turned it on at the end of the season and maxed out their show" when the show they were given was a mess.

I'm happy to see that the members are now being given a competent design that is worth their effort.

The future is bright.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, college-phan said:

Just keeps getting better! Official full show!

We haven’t had APDs since 2014 but corps can put their finals video up on YouTube a few weeks afterward, which almost seems like a fair trade. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 7:18 PM, PRomoter said:

All I can say is I’ve been rewatching this year’s show over and over, and it literally makes me tear up every time. I’ve been a fan for nearly 40 years, through the ups and downs, and I was terribly afraid I’d never have the feelings I had watching them in earlier years. It seemed like they were destined to fall out of the top 12 before someone could make the changes necessary to be what we all knew they could be. I hoped each year that someone would do something, but no one had the secret sauce. Not surprisingly, the secret was to do what they’ve always done, but do it with more heart and feeling than anyone else. I LOVED the championship years, but I would be thrilled to see them do this kind of a show in the top 6 year after year. The fans ate it up. It was like drum corps for the people was back again. I was in Indy on Saturday. People were losing the freaking minds before they played a note, and when they did the kick wedge at the end, the whole place erupted. The standing ovation started at the crab step and went on for 2 minutes. It was a total love fest for them. People in my section (237) were high 5ing each other and screaming. It’s what I used to love about DCI, and why I never gave up hope that that kind of exhilaration might someday return.

I think the point of their fan favorite vote is that there is a place for diversity of styles, and that what fans love and what gets them out of their seats must be considered. There is room for many styles and perspectives of what drum corps is, and fans need to see shows like Harmonic Journey rewarded if we are to continue to attract diverse audiences. 

Thank you, Regiment, thank you! I will enjoy listening and watching this show for years to come. You left it all on the field. It was awe inspiring to see what you accomplished in a few weeks. I hope some of you are reading this, because I am one of many, many people who were not only entertained, but who had a life-moment Saturday night in LOS. You are loved and appreciated. 

The problem is this, the activity, for better or worse, does not reward these shows the way they did in 2003. This type of show, IMO, would not challenge for a top 6 spot because it is not the current model being rewarded (see BD, Coats, Boston, etc). That is not to say the show wasn't thoroughly enjoyable, it definitely was. Until the shift comes back around, which I wouldn't hold my breath on, we will (IMO) continue to see shows rewarded that may have moments of entertainment value, but on the whole, not so much. The last show to win that I was entertained throughout was 2018 Vanguard. 

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

The problem is this, the activity, for better or worse, does not reward these shows the way they did in 2003. This type of show, IMO, would not challenge for a top 6 spot because it is not the current model being rewarded (see BD, Coats, Boston, etc). That is not to say the show wasn't thoroughly enjoyable, it definitely was. Until the shift comes back around, which I wouldn't hold my breath on, we will (IMO) continue to see shows rewarded that may have moments of entertainment value, but on the whole, not so much. The last show to win that I was entertained throughout was 2018 Vanguard. 

Perhaps I’m a bit too much of an optimist, but with the reception that Phantom and the Cadets got, I think we will some sort of change in design for 2022. Will it be as radical as a lot of people hope? Probably not. But I can’t imagine any corps is looking at the insane reaction that Regiment got and saying “hmm, we don’t want that.” That’s just bad business, especially if Phantom’s 2022 auditions are as competitive as everyone predicts they’re going to be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rocketman said:

I'm with you. My response to this perceived situation would be "let's not try to force 2003 year after year on the judges and hope we get our way eventually" and "how can we create a 2018 Vanguard-esque show that fits into Regiment's identity as best as possible?" It just so happens Regiment has a key element of that 2018 SCV design, and he surely learned a lot from the 2017-2019 Michael Gaines years. 

What are some major characteristics of 2018 SCV?
- Highly sophisticated props. They were perhaps the coolest mechanical design I've seen in drum corps.
- A concept that lent itself to costume and props. The story was pretty vague.
- Highly sophisticated electronic sound design. Regiment needs to get better at this. I don't want to hear Regiment be BAC or Bluecoats for an entire show, but it needs to pop up at effective moments.
- More staging, less drill. 2021 Regiment used a lot of drill (especially call backs to 2003), but there was an increase in staging this year. 

Bluecoats, SCV, and BD have all-star dream teams of designers, and BAC and Cavies are right there too. Regiment has designers to be competitive in the next echelon methinks, and they need to be given freedom to balance 2022 design with what they're historically known for.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kdaddy said:

- More staging, less drill. 2021 Regiment used a lot of drill (especially call backs to 2003), but there was an increase in staging this year. 

This right here is why I no longer enjoy watching DCI.  I'm not saying "Get rid of it, and get out of my yard!", I'm saying I personally prefer drill and marching over staging and body movement.  I loved the Cadets shows in the mid '80's where they hardly ever stopped marching, as opposed to shows from the last few years where it seems like they rarely ever started marching.

• Like 4

I'm of the, "lets see who shows up for audition this next year".  CLEARLY if they get a HUGE turnout after this last season, one would think the kids know what they want to play and do on the field.  Let's get the judging sheets to start judging musical content again.   This crap of playing 5 minutes ensemble and marching less and getting score needs to be addressed.  The isn't America's Got Talent.  Phantom's show last year was amazing.  We need more amazing and less Broadway.  I don't want Bluecoats or Blue Devils part 2.  I think a lot of the kids last year dug it also.  Not, hey I marched 5 minutes, played 5 minutes and then moved props around for 7.  Be Phantom.  Be what DCI should be about.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Phantom will have fantastic audition numbers, I'm betting.  Can't wait for 2022. 

Less marching and more "other" movement/choreography is going to increase if anything, and not just for Phantom.  SCV didn't do much traditional marching or drill (especially for Gaines) with Babylon, but they really maxed out the staging and choreography that the sheets now reward.  Better get used to it.  

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

Phantom will have fantastic audition numbers, I'm betting.  Can't wait for 2022. 

Less marching and more "other" movement/choreography is going to increase if anything, and not just for Phantom.  SCV didn't do much traditional marching or drill (especially for Gaines) with Babylon, but they really maxed out the staging and choreography that the sheets now reward.  Better get used to it.  

Why must we get used to it?  I think 2021 showed DCI and the competing corps staffs maybe it’s time to rethink the sheets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Why must we get used to it?  I think 2021 showed DCI and the competing corps staffs maybe it’s time to rethink the sheets.

Still though, compare the type of drill designed for PR 2003 to PR 2021.