Phantom Regiment 2022

If the visual package is as good as the brass just sounded tonight at Concert in the Park, it’s going to be a while before Phantom is flirting with 13th again.

Edited by college-phan
  • Like 4

Wow, easy top 5 music program.  I can't wait to see this on the field.  Looks like talent level is top 5 as well.  Pretty sure this is going to be of those turning moments in Phantom.

• Like 4

Some initial observations

• That ballad is really, really good...
  • Ferguson with a solid drum book, as usual.
  • Trumpets and Mellos are doing very good work.

Should break 90 this year, we'll where that puts them place wise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Oh yum!

Thank you for the video!

VERY mature brass sound (and that's coming from a drummer.) Loved the ballad and I found myself trying to figure out where the kick stop and the chevron would fall in that closing minute. Great stuff! 

On a side note, do the snares look "short" or am I just getting old. They almost look like 10×14's to me and the sound was getting swallowed up in some spots.

• Like 1

You can't really tell anything about performance quality from the youtube video above, but the arrangements sound fantastic. The transition to Mahler is a little weird, especially given that the other tunes that precede it have such a different aesthetic. I suspect that transition will get worked out soon.

I'm sure the visual design elements - the Achilles heel for too long with this corps - will be solid. I really think they could compete for 8th, which would be a HUGE improvement. At a minimum, they'll be competent and entertaining, which is what I really care about and have missed. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

VERY mature brass sound (and that's coming from a drummer.) Loved the ballad and I found myself trying to figure out where the kick stop and the chevron would fall in that closing minute. Great stuff! 

On a side note, do the snares look "short" or am I just getting old. They almost look like 10×14's to me and the sound was getting swallowed up in some spots.

I’m glad someone else noticed that about the snares. I kept looking at them and something seemed off but I couldn’t put my finger on what exactly it was!

And the sound is probably just a matter of the recording/venue, or at least I hope so because that sounded like some very aggressive and cool percussion arrangements (coming from a horn!)