Phantom Regiment 2022

51 minutes ago, Continental said:

At this point in the season, the only thing that is clear is they are much improved and people are saying very positive things about them. 

Oh absolutely. And like I said, I’m one that is thrilled with how far they’ve come in such a short time. Having a lot of returning members always helps with that too. I definitely think this is the beginning of an ascent up the rankings for them. They could very well be back in the top 6 if they continue to have high retention rates.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Oh absolutely. And like I said, I’m one that is thrilled with how far they’ve come in such a short time. Having a lot of returning members always helps with that too. I definitely think this is the beginning of an ascent up the rankings for them. They could very well be back in the top 6 if they continue to have high retention rates.

Yeah, I think this is the best way to look at this. This year will be a foundational season. Could they move up the score sheet with this show? Definitely. But I think we need to temper our expectations just slightly. Moving up even slightly to 10th place in Finals would be a huge deal. Getting to 9th or 8th would be exceeding first year expectations, in my opinion. This staff definitely has plans to get Phantom back to being a perennial contender, but it’s definitely going to take three to five years, and that’s if everything goes perfectly. The top-twelve is a gauntlet nowadays, so be ready for a long haul on this ride back to the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back half of the show is awesome.  First half of the show is definitely aggressive, but ugh, Stephen Melillo was a bad fit for corps 20 years ago.  It's just so... generic.  Personal distate of symphonic band stuff aside, the brass sounds way improved over the last time we saw them compete.  Drums were an echo chamber but still sounded beefier than the recent past?  All in all, it's a very solid production, it sounds like.  Let's see what they can do on the move now.

Mike

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Back half of the show is awesome.  First half of the show is definitely aggressive, but ugh, Stephen Melillo was a bad fit for corps 20 years ago.  It's just so... generic.  Personal distate of symphonic band stuff aside, the brass sounds way improved over the last time we saw them compete.  Drums were an echo chamber but still sounded beefier than the recent past?  All in all, it's a very solid production, it sounds like.  Let's see what they can do on the move now.

Mike

I finally got around to watching the video from the concert in the park. They do sound good.  I like the costumes. I’m anxious to see them on the field.  Best wishes for a successful season! 

• Like 3

I watched the concert in the park video too.

I really like the show, but I do agree with the musical pacing issues that someone previously mentioned. It's probably going to come down to what's happening on the field. I'm sure there can be something happening to smooth out those musical pacing issues. I'm very optimistic for this corps!

I think Regiment is going to be top 5 quality performance-wise, but I also think Blue Stars and Cadets are going to be very good too. I've no idea about Blue Knights, but they and Mandarins aren't going to make things easy for the judges to rank and rate those corps this year...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

That’s exactly what makes me question a lot of the people now saying that Phantom could break top 5 in brass this year. They do sound very good. That is not a problem in the slightest. But what happens when you compare the complexity of what they are doing to that of Boston, Crown, BD, etc. that are the corps “ahead” of them later on in the season after some cleaning is done? I’m certainly thrilled to see Phantom back on the rise, but difficulty is something that could hinder higher placements down the stretch. Their musicality however is very strong. That will certainly be a large strength to the group this season.

I’ll definitely be thrilled about seeing a 8, 6, 7, 7 in the music scoresheets versus a potential 10, 10, 11, 9 in the visual/GE ones all season long as a spectator ‘cause i enjoy the former much more when I’m there in person anyways😂

• Like 1

I love the fact that Phantom allows its Drum Majors to be conductors and not merely metronomes out there. 

• Like 1

I just listened to concert in the park and IMO this is the best musical book from them in years. I cannot guess where they'll place. We are listening to a standstill performance which doesn't have the best sound quality, and we haven't heard anyone else. They could be 5th in brass, they could be 15th. I don't know. But, I absolutely LOVE the music of this show. It's so aggressive and this is what this corps needed to do musically. I can't wait to see what they do on the field.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

I wish they could've created the mood they were wanting with the Melillo using more content from Mahler 5. 

• Like 1