Phantom Regiment 2022

18 hours ago, college-phan said:

Another day, another phenomenal Phantom performance!

What a great performance! I thought they wouldn’t be able to top last year for me, but this is such a great show. I think this will be one we fans are listening to loooooong after this season. I also have to say the guard has really stepped it up in the last week. There is some killer rifle work going on. I’m not a huge fan of pumping up the volume on the front ensemble, nor the ethereal ahhs, but I am old school. I loved ‘93 when they were out in the field. However, I love the bass reinforcement, and the bass drops add a lot. 

We haven't seen the full use of Regiment's props yet, I don't think. But after finally seeing Cavies on the BA rebroadcast today, I think Regiment would've been better served to only use a couple elevated walkways as opposed to the dozen or so that they have: less time and humanpower to move them around, perhaps just as effective in portraying "the walk."

On 7/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, George Dixon said:

I disagree - it seems that basics and fundamentals teaching are the limiting factors right now IMO - so the tech and instructional staff, not the members or even the design; in fact, I'd applaud them for sticking true to their corps identity in terms of design, even if "modernized" somewhat. Dismissing others' achievement as just "going all in" on "the game" dismisses some very good instruction and achievement by those members. I mean Mandarins, BD etc - are doing what they do VERY WELL with solid, consistent technique from the individual mm. 

I disagree. You see the types of shows that are receiving the higher scores, and it's not Regiment. They could execute it to perfection, but if it isn't the type of show that is deemed to be innovative, etc, they are not going to get the effect scores that will result in a higher finish.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, Continental said:

Just my opinion, but I suspect that if Phantom went "all in" they would lose a key part of their identity that the crowd relates to.  They are quite far from the "Pioneer" of the top 12.  I won't go into pre-season predictions and current placement, but when they play there are a lot of audience members that fall in love with them.....again.  They have on multiple occasions brought back the love that the audience feels for them. 

I don't want them to adopt the current style of upper-echelon corps.  I want them to remain true to why I love them.   

Then I hope you can be okay with finishing 10th through 12th every year! Frankly, I'm a little tired of it!

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

They could execute it to perfection

I do get what you're saying BUT the "executed to perfection" part isn't happening yet. Until then, you never know. 

17 hours ago, Rocketman said:

I disagree. You see the types of shows that are receiving the higher scores, and it's not Regiment. They could execute it to perfection, but if it isn't the type of show that is deemed to be innovative, etc, they are not going to get the effect scores that will result in a higher finish.

This is why I use a stopwatch.  Some people here on DCP always belittle it but it's precisely the point.  The point is when you generate more "judgeable" content your achievement scores. when clean, should reflect that of a corps HIGHER than those that don't generate the same content.  Standing and playing or NOT playing as is the case often is not the same as playing and marching.  GE is more than who puts the most crap on the field, although some here would post ad nauseam, that this is the case.  For "me" I perceive higher scores for those marching intricate drill and playing vs standing on a ramp doing the same thing.  We don't need everyone rushing to be doing the same thing.  It's unhealthy for ANY activity that deals with art.  BTW kudos for Regiment this year showcasing your tuba section rather than burying it under low end synth.  What a refreshing and needed change. 

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2022 at 12:05 AM, college-phan said:

Also, can someone give me a brief rundown of what exactly is killing Phantom when it comes to percussion? I’m not a percussion guy, so you might have to dumb it down a little

I think Phantom has a very good and musical percussion section this year. Sometimes I think we have to take a step back and realize that all the top 12 percussion sections, and more, are really good. It's not that something is killing Phantom's line, it's more the case that they are outstanding and unfortunately there are some outstanding lines in front of them who may be cleaner, or where the book is coming across better. 

It's all a matter of performance. Having seen Phantom's show about 4 times on FLO (which is not a good place to judge anything, let's be honest) I do not get the sense that they cannot play. In fact I think they have fabulous percussionists, and the pit is wonderful. Honestly they just need to clean. In the end the judges will decide if they clean, but if they don't move up much it's only because other talented drum lines edged them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Standing and playing or NOT playing as is the case often is not the same as playing and marching.  GE is more than who puts the most crap on the field, although some here would post ad nauseam, that this is the case.  For "me" I perceive higher scores for those marching intricate drill and playing vs standing on a ramp doing the same thing.  We don't need everyone rushing to be doing the same thing.  It's unhealthy for ANY activity that deals with art.

Nice post. I may respond to your GE comments in another post, bhe thing I agree with the most is the last sentence. I have no problem when a corps like BD designs a show the way they do. They can pull it off. Their shows are WAY more demanding than people think. The amount of cardio and endurance they need to get through that program is very high end. Most people think they just jazz run or free form to a set, then park and play, and then repeat. Nothing can be further from the truth when you analyze their shows. 

However, their are too many design teams not capable of this level of design or they simply do not have the performers to pull it off. Phantom's approach this year seems to be "do YOU, do what you can do well, and don't copy someone else's approach." This is why they are so loved this summer. We can see it is Phantom Regiment. It is uniquely them. There are elements of modern drum corps, but it's still Phantom. It's got that Phantom sound, Phantom music, and Phantom guard. 

It get that in a competitive activity it is natural to look at the leaders and want to try new things...and to some extent that is not always bad. But it must be done in moderation. The Bluecoats do this well. They are uniquely BLOO. They have clearly seen what BD, SCV, and Crown have done over the years (even Cadets, Madison), but they maintain a Bluecoats spirit to design and fun. Too many corps have lost the ability to find an identity, and it is easy to get lost when you are trying too hard to copy others or to please judges. Phantom's show this year is PHANTOM to a T. I am sure the members are competitive and want to score well, but I'm quite sure many young people out there would love to march a show like this where the crowd goes ape#### over your program on a nightly basis. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:49 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Nah I don't think they'll need to water anything down for sure. The skill of the entire ensemble is unquestionable. It always is with PR. It's the experience of playing together for years and years that sets you apart. Listen to BD's snare line this year. Unquestionably talented and playing a REALLY dense book. But I don't believe they have a single returning vet in their snare line and it shows. I can't see BD winning drums this year.

If you look at PR from say '07 or 2010...fantastic lines. Rennick did some amazing stuff with '07. But what set those lines apart is that those cats had played together. '06 wasn't great and '09 wasn't great. But give them a full season to gel and then bring 'em all back for another go and you have magic. 

Absolutely agree. The book matters a ton and there some very distinguishing differences between the top and bottom, but how well the individual sections and ensembles as a whole gel and know each other is even more important.  BITD instructors would tell us over and over, go everywhere and do everything together and play, play play.  

• Like 2

Someone started a Hype thread for Regiment, but I hope it' get's moved here.  As I said there...

I'm so hyped to see my beloved Regiment live & in person tonight in Denton and in San Antonio!  Twice in 3 days.  I just know there will be babies thrown for this electric show.  Thank you so much to all the members and staff for working so hard, and overcoming so many challenges to deliver us a goose-bump inducing, electric show.  This show is an example of why I've always loved Drum Corps.  

Light it up, Regiment!

Harvey

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1