Phantom Regiment 2022

20 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

This post is not a rant against PR’s placement in any way. I will never understand how such a complicated scoring system as DCI has can yield results that are consistent down to 1/100 of a point. That just doesn’t seem possible without comparing sheets. I appraise houses, and it just isn’t possible for an appraisal to be as consistent as DCI. Three different appraisers would yield three close, but different results. 

I'm with you on this, though overwhelmingly judges make assessments just to the tenth. The only hundredths in a judge's assessment that I saw in a quick glance of the Annapolis results was BD's Music Analysis Content score - not sure if that's an anomaly or hundredths are used more as we approach finals. 

Hundredths and, gulp, thousandths are usually only the result of arithmetic, which is not a justification if you care about significant digits. Getting a result in the thousandths from a bunch of assessments in tenths should make any engineer cringe.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

This post is not a rant against PR’s placement in any way. I will never understand how such a complicated scoring system as DCI has can yield results that are consistent down to 1/100 of a point. That just doesn’t seem possible without comparing sheets. I appraise houses, and it just isn’t possible for an appraisal to be as consistent as DCI. Three different appraisers would yield three close, but different results. 

The judges can go to 1/2 a tenth. This gives them a little more flexibility with spreads. If two corps are relatively closely matched but they want to place one above the other they give 1/2 tenth more in score. 

Here's to Regiment having a phenomenal 3 days (since the Huntington show) of rehearsal and cleaning & final touch changes that propel them forward to a strong finish, just as this stretch typically does for them!  I hope the members are safe, healthy, having a blast and the entire org has a great week.  Can't wait to see the show Friday!

Harvey

• Like 3

I'm with Harvey. The corps facebook page is real quiet....can't wait until Friday.

• Like 1

I sure have enjoyed this forum this year. It has not always been a fun place to be in the past. Here’s to all of you for being so positive, even when there were critiques to be made. Seems like there are some great new posters that I hope will be back next year. Thanks, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drumhead31 said:

I'm with Harvey. The corps facebook page is real quiet....can't wait until Friday.

We’ll know in two days! Can’t wait!

On 8/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Continental said:

As I pointed out to a good friend of mine on here, I've noted that this year, even with the last minute change of drill designers, no one is complaining about drill design.

I hope they stay with Phantom.  It's been such a positive year for your efforts. 

That's because the visual program is way ahead of what they had been doing. 

• Like 3

Here are my only two issues with the show. The 'moaning' track seems to be there just because. If you took it away, it wouldn't detract from the show, thus, it really doesn't add anything to the show. It seems like it's one of those, 'we better put something in to make us seem in step with the times' moments.

Secondly, the 48-count booty shake in the second number. After 16 counts I was like, "enough already", yet it continued. THAT has to change. Add drill, add music, I don't care, just get past this as quickly as possible.

Think anyone at PR is reading this? Probably not!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Here are my only two issues with the show. The 'moaning' track seems to be there just because. If you took it away, it wouldn't detract from the show, thus, it really doesn't add anything to the show. It seems like it's one of those, 'we better put something in to make us seem in step with the times' moments.

Secondly, the 48-count booty shake in the second number. After 16 counts I was like, "enough already", yet it continued. THAT has to change. Add drill, add music, I don't care, just get past this as quickly as possible.

Think anyone at PR is reading this? Probably not!

They do.