The end of scores?

So the circumstances of the universe created a season without scoring - something that when I was marching "they" said would never happen.

Seems like the atmosphere surrounding the activity is a lot healthier than usual. A lot more positive. No endless ####-talking between fans and #####ing about tenths from this judge or that, or if Czapinski hates our guard, etc etc. All the competitive BS between corps is gone too - you're naive if you think 20 year olds are mature enough to not be ######## about it [reminds me of 2007 when I saw a Crown member after a show and told him how much I loved what they were doing, and they just said "We should be beating Phantom."] 

The argument was always "if there is no competition, there won't be the incentive to strive for excellence." Seems like that was BS too. Fans seem to be eating up the shows made for them rather than to eek out a couple of points of GE.

Maybe it's time to ditch the scores?

• Like 7

Counterargument: DCI is for the "adults." Scores are how some of the big egos get to exercise power, and they're not giving that up. Not to mention getting paid to judge, as meager as that money is.

Edited by FTNK

This year was a one year free pass, a one time only pass. If there’s no judging, what would we complain about? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It’s always been within our power to care more about entertainment and personal development and other things more important than scores, and it will continue to be within our power.  

Having scores again won’t force us to make them more important than those other things.  That is a choice for us to make, and maybe the experience of this year will lead us to make it more wisely.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I missed the scores. It's kind of an analytical game to see how my amateur thinking compares to the judges. But I did sense a less stressful LOS last night. And while this is almost dumb to assert after one afternoon and evening of shows, it had the feel last night that corps like Phantom, Madison, Cadets had regained good confidence - maybe after performing without the constant, depressing feedback showing they are not in the top mix.

Edited by mjoakes
Spelling.
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Very well stated and supported argument as always George

you want a supporting argument? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Thanks 1