The end of scores?

Competition is in the DNA of most all drum corps people. I don't think there's any chance of (or wish for) it not returning, but I do think there are some very valuable lessons learned from the season. To me, the bigger question becomes, will the activity seize upon and apply some of those lessons or will everything become business as usual? I'm hoping for a little middle ground there, but I have to admit, my confidence level in that is fairly low. 

30 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It was nice to see individual corps identity resurgence with the hope that it remains. Costumes are not required to tell a story or emitting themed translations to receive audience approval. Seems like great drill design is still the staple for fan visual appreciation vs fluttering around from one set to another then striking a silly pose. 

I agree. Nicely said.

• Like 3

I think the attention to scores is more of a fan thing. Yes, the top 6 or 7 want to win.  Equally important for the next tier is to get into 12th or better...and stay there.  BAC has made no secret of their aspirations BUT it should be noted that all those years of DCI prior to them coming into the top 12 in 1999, the corps focused on simply "being Boston".  Their "We don't gava" attitude in those years clearly served them well, because most of their competitors have since vanished. When BAC went out in 1979 with 25 horns and 83 with 19 they knew they wouldn't win...or even make top 12. It was all about survival.

Edited by craiga
Spelling
  • Like 3

Having said that, I agree with those who said scores will return in 2022. And I think they should as well.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

FloMarching? Narration? A corps director pacing the front sidelines?

This is DCP, complaining is an artform!

Rightly so

I admire those who participated this year. And I respect those who chose to do other things this year. But this activity like sports thrive on being competitive and pushing everyone to a high level of performance. Exhibitions are nice but we like results.

• Like 2

It was a real joy watching this diverse set of performances. In a way, the connection to dated material was refreshing. And this scoring break was an fortunate by-product of an unfortunate situation for a few groups that needed a good "reset." Weather it was a corps re-presenting an entire classic show, or a group paying tribute to the entire long legacy, or one paying tribute to their community. So many different approaches! That being said, my interest in seeing groups publicly struggle with reconciling their past with their future in show format for the long term is very limited. I'm sure most folks on these forums have lived in this scene long enough to have seen some touchstone drum corps spend years trying to pay tribute to themselves as they wander aimlessly in a creativity desert. I don't want to see the bottle dance every other year. Or an obligatory repeated Bernstein-framed Z pull. Or a 22 snares playing drum to drum every year.  The Crossmen can find a way to play "The Lick" and that is a fun and quick wink as fan-service. But circling the drain with retro shows year after year ain't it for me.

So I guess that means I want scores as limiting framework, which puts group in a position to test and bend those limits. If you can do that with a retro lean, bring it.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2