The end of scores?

I think the 2021 season worked well without scores. We need scores for Championships, but in 2022, do we need scores at EVERY show? What if during the week shows were not judged, and corps could continue celebrating their history/identity while honoring 50 years of DCI. During weekends/regionals judges judge, scores/placements are given and we have a 2022 DCI champion. Week day shows become cheaper for the show sponsors, and fans get to see the 2022 shows with instant encores and small ensembles included. I would gladly go to a Wednesday night show without scores yet still pay for Flomarching so I could see the "competitions" on the weekends.

Z

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FTNK said:

So the circumstances of the universe created a season without scoring - something that when I was marching "they" said would never happen.

Seems like the atmosphere surrounding the activity is a lot healthier than usual. A lot more positive. No endless ####-talking between fans and #####ing about tenths from this judge or that, or if Czapinski hates our guard, etc etc. All the competitive BS between corps is gone too - you're naive if you think 20 year olds are mature enough to not be ######## about it [reminds me of 2007 when I saw a Crown member after a show and told him how much I loved what they were doing, and they just said "We should be beating Phantom."] 

The argument was always "if there is no competition, there won't be the incentive to strive for excellence." Seems like that was BS too. Fans seem to be eating up the shows made for them rather than to eek out a couple of points of GE.

Maybe it's time to ditch the scores?

won't happen since compensation is tied to it

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

FloMarching? Narration? A corps director pacing the front sidelines?

This is DCP, complaining is an artform!

Flobuffering is the proper name

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MikeZ said:

I think the 2021 season worked well without scores. We need scores for Championships, but in 2022, do we need scores at EVERY show? What if during the week shows were not judged, and corps could continue celebrating their history/identity while honoring 50 years of DCI. During weekends/regionals judges judge, scores/placements are given and we have a 2022 DCI champion. Week day shows become cheaper for the show sponsors, and fans get to see the 2022 shows with instant encores and small ensembles included. I would gladly go to a Wednesday night show without scores yet still pay for Flomarching so I could see the "competitions" on the weekends.

Z

Absolutely agreed. In hindsight, unless some special record is set, I don't need to see scores for shows where only 5-6 corps with wildly different skillsets and ability levels get judged, especially if it's one of those early-season 6-judge panels. It makes more sense to leave scores and judging to the weekend shows with more competitive stakes. I'm sure the people who take on the thankless task of judging all these shows will appreciate having a few more nights off. Plus, it makes it more fun for us die-hard fans by keeping us in suspense and waiting for the weekends when scores will show up.

Side note: The upcoming DCI winter conference for 2022 is a rules congress year, right? If so, I have a feeling at least one director or instructor will try to push a similar rule change given how this past season went. (Though that's a messy topic I'd rather save for another thread entirely.)

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

nope scores will always be here & need to be!

Agree.  There’s got to be winners and losers, it’s what attracts talent and endorsements.  Funny how life often boils down to talent and endorsements.

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I want to agree with you because when I marched I enjoyed the competitive nature of drum corps, but there are some corps that will make shows strictly for the preferences of the judges and scoring cheap GE points. 

then the scoring attributes need changed

• Like 2