The end of scores?

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

then the scoring attributes need changed

What differentiates WGI design productions from DCI design productions? Criteria needs to be clearly defined to separate the two competitive formats, understanding what makes each performance sport different or distinctive.

Too much cross-pollination has created a mindset that both performance sport productions be designed the same for both competitive formats. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

As crazy as it sounds, this was a very enjoyable (yet short) season.  I truly enjoyed the reduced number of Props (Two different Blue being the exceptions).  Corps were out there performing for the crowd and not the judges.  I am very glad I decided to to the Midwest combine followed by a trip to Indy.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 11:04 AM, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I want to agree with you because when I marched I enjoyed the competitive nature of drum corps, but there are some corps that will make shows strictly for the preferences of the judges and scoring cheap GE points. 

Blue Devils gonna Blue Devils 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

No scores worked...for a shortened 2 week season with no drum corps the previous year.
I personally had reached the point where hearing a Dr. Beat again was a thrill.

Could it work for a regular 6 week season?

I don't think so.

Exactly. Everyone was starved for drum corps. Competition is what drives the activity, as is the case with every other sport or youth activity with multiple participants. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

What differentiates WGI design productions from DCI design productions? Criteria needs to be clearly defined to separate the two competitive formats, understanding what makes each performance sport different or distinctive.

Too much cross-pollination has created a mindset that both performance sport productions be designed the same for both competitive formats. 

agreed there is at times way too much cross over. The problem is experimentation in one leads to the new norm in the other, and it's not exclusive to one circuit or the other.

But.....there's only so much you can do with a drum on ones body, so what to do to differentiate? If anything, i do think the outdoor side is getting less exercise in technical skills for the sake of technical skills than indoor is. thats to me IMO is a big reversal in the last few years

• Thanks 1

Aas an ardent Cavaliers fan, I noticed one thing in all the shows, except Bluecoats,. The minimal and even no props enhanced, the entertainment value of the Drum Corps product for the Audience. Drill and music as the forefront of drum corps and general effect produced by those basic entities became evident and beautiful in there own. Props are ok but not necessary to bring the audience to their feet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dureau said:

Aas an ardent Cavaliers fan, I noticed one thing in all the shows, except Bluecoats,. The minimal and even no props enhanced, the entertainment value of the Drum Corps product for the Audience. Drill and music as the forefront of drum corps and general effect produced by those basic entities became evident and beautiful in there own. Props are ok but not necessary to bring the audience to their feet.

...but the judges and score for "things"....   This is why there is an arms race for props.  Hell, even some on these very forums think they are absolutely needed for effect.  This is why "innovation" isn't as much as is just add more stuff and add a vehicle (semi truck) to drag it around for "score".  I am more amazed we still have the "front ensemble: aka pit in the front still.  All that room in the back especially with amplification.  The ease of setting up with a met for rehearsal.  Generators can be further away.  Better cohesion and sound like all orchestras do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dureau said:

48 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

...but the judges and score for "things"....   This is why there is an arms race for props.  Hell, even some on these very forums think they are absolutely needed for effect.  This is why "innovation" isn't as much as is just add more stuff and add a vehicle (semi truck) to drag it around for "score".  I am more amazed we still have the "front ensemble: aka pit in the front still.  All that room in the back especially with amplification.  The ease of setting up with a met for rehearsal.  Generators can be further away.  Better cohesion and sound like all orchestras do.

To me, the corps,i.e. DCI ,don't have a problem with the arms race, when it comes to props. 

If they did, it would be simple enough to address, by changing the rules.

As stated above, this year the corps produced shows geared for the entertainment of the audience.

There have been a number of posts over the years about certain corps' shows being designed "for the sheets".

In many cases, this produces a show that scores well, but only judges and music majors appreciate.

To survive, DCI needs to have shows that are engaging enough to "put seats in the seats".

From my experience, drum corps audiences are getting older, except for MM families and high school band members who get bussed in.

That's not a sustainable model, in the long term.

Edited by rpbobcat