The end of scores?

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Sure...in your opinion.  I can't compete with your 100k+ post count but the prop arms race isn't just fantasy earning "score".  Who knows if it wouldn't have been as "cool" with new drill and marching.  Feeling you need to have props to win and being reinforced by "score" are some pretty damning evidence there.  Getting points for standing and playing on a ramp VS  a group marching and playing as hard of a lick seems pointless because someone with "props" will outscore you for something FAR easier to clean and FAR less demand.  I GET why the props are there besides the "cool" factor.  The "score" factor always trumps the "cool" or "hard" factor.

ok so....how did all of Spirit and Colts stuff help them in 19? or Academy? Just having props alone doesn't help. you have to have them make sense, be used well, and oh...be ###### good at everything else too. 

now...SCV 18 and Bloo 16 are hands down my favorite shows of the last 20 years not named Spartacus. Do I think they could have been successful without them> Most likely. Would they have been as cool and ground breaking?

nope.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but attendance is back up at finals and doing well at the regionals pre-pandemic. Flo draws eyeballs despite their #### product. Something is obviously working.

If that's the case, then why do corps, and apparently DCI ,have so much red ink  and

why is there so much chatter about corps not being able to survive financially ?

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mello Dude said:

Sure...in your opinion.  I can't compete with your 100k+ post count but the prop arms race isn't just fantasy earning "score".  Who knows if it wouldn't have been as "cool" with new drill and marching.  Feeling you need to have props to win and being reinforced by "score" are some pretty damning evidence there.  Getting points for standing and playing on a ramp VS  a group marching and playing as hard of a lick seems pointless because someone with "props" will outscore you for something FAR easier to clean and FAR less demand.  I GET why the props are there besides the "cool" factor.  The "score" factor always trumps the "cool" or "hard" factor.

Post counts like that equals - in their own minds the utmost expert on all things. To be followed up with the same click of likes.  Bluecoats show with the standing on a ramp while playing, proves your point. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i never said props led to attendance. i said intriguing shows and competition did. sometimes props are involved in both.

the old guys in the 70's complained they weren't coming off the line anymore.

the old guys in the 80's couldn't handle dance and some of the music

the old guys in the 90's hated a lot of the music and the body

the old guys in the 2000's hated everything

now the old guys in the 10's into the early 20's hate props.

but attendance is back up at finals and doing well at the regionals pre-pandemic. Flo draws eyeballs despite their #### product. Something is obviously working.

LMFAO!  Cancel culture meets drum corps.  BTW, you might want to check your attendance figures some more.  After actually checking them, it doesn't help (or actually even reinforce) your copious amounts of stated opinions.

some old guys on DCP now can't handle anything that doesn't conform to their pre-determined outlook on reality or history.

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ########.”

W.C. Fields

• Like 1

I dreaded a no score season, however I thought that musically most corps were the best I had heard in a while.  maybe not as aerobic but just as entertaining and doing music they liked and that we knew and liked.   however there needs to be a criteria for performance orders and such,  would it be a random draw to perform at 10 am on finals day, Would you have Jersey Surf perform between Bloo and SCV ?    May everyone would sit through 8 hours to catch Blue Devils at 2:30 then come back at 5:00 to see Boston.     

With no scores would that end penalties for age outs, going to long, using flutes and violins   so what if your score is thrown out for having a bunch of 40 year olds  there is no score

11 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

With no scores would that end penalties for age outs, going to long, using flutes and violins   so what if your score is thrown out for having a bunch of 40 year olds  there is no score

Yeah we would have some of the terrible stuff done in DCA. 

17 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

If that's the case, then why do corps, and apparently DCI ,have so much red ink  and

why is there so much chatter about corps not being able to survive financially ?

easy. as stated many times on here, the biggest issues cost wise are housing, fuel, insurance and food. yeah the props require an extra truck, so that doesnt help, and the cost of them doesn't help. But schools don't come free anymore, and renting major college stadiums to rehearse aint cheap. feeding the kids better costs more. 154 members means more of everything. the tour schedule doesn't help. Go read a corps 990, and you'll see props is a line item on expenses, and much smaller than other items i listed above

On 8/19/2021 at 12:28 PM, Swamptihs said:

Post counts like that equals - in their own minds the utmost expert on all things. To be followed up with the same click of likes.  Bluecoats show with the standing on a ramp while playing, proves your point. 

the post count is because a) almost 20 years here and B) an overwhelming majority were in the old off topic forums where we discussed anything but drum corps, but many great friendships and a few long term relationships or marriages came from. so really you may think you're cool taking shot at a number on a screen, but a little research would show you there's a lot you don't understand about that number.

and for the record i don't even know what the number is. nor do I care, but if you keeping track makes you feel better go for it. Now i'm soon gonna go to facebook to check in on Mike and Alisha's hawaii trip pix...2 people that met and fell in love, married and had a beautiful daughter because they met in those OT Forums, right here on DCP.

Edited by Jeff Ream

11 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

LMFAO!  Cancel culture meets drum corps.  BTW, you might want to check your attendance figures some more.  After actually checking them, it doesn't help (or actually even reinforce) your copious amounts of stated opinions.

some old guys on DCP now can't handle anything that doesn't conform to their pre-determined outlook on reality or history.

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ########.”

W.C. Fields

i have checked attendance figures. there's threads on here with them. and attendance now compared to 20 years ago for the most part is night and day.