The end of scores?

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not saying props are the biggest budget item.  But I will not justify them on that basis either.  You think waste is okay as long as it does not exceed 25% of budget?

never said it was, but you keep reading things into the words i type.

6 hours ago, stevedci said:

I'm guessing most stuff relating to audience demographics and actual paid attendance isn't really a matter of conjecture and opinion. Maybe these numbers might be a little illuminating --

1994 1995 1999 2001 2004 2005 2007
Boston Buffalo Madison Buffalo Denver Boston Pasadena
 24,513    19,100    20,501    16,406    22,047    20,548    24,309  

But the focus on championship finals night as the metric of success is maybe misplaced.... how many eyeballs are watching the overall event and how much value are generated by those eyeballs.... you might be able to make a pretty compelling case that close to 100,000 sets of value-generating eyeballs watch the 2019 DCI championships live -- all events, all media, all platforms.

I suspect that DCI knows, as opposed to thinks, how the demographics of the paid audience in allentown differs from rockford, from Nashville, from houston, from Atland, from Stanford.... 

you're right finals night alone is not the end all be all...regionals certainly help, as do local shows.

i'll be really interested to see how Mid Atlantic shows go now that YEA is defunct. I am hoping A) they are run better and B) more cost effective to take the family to and not sit on the 20. Allentown in general is only going to get so many fans becaue the stadium only holds so many fans. the upper level is only 3 sections for instance. I know Atlanta and San Anotnio have definitely seen much better attendance numbers the last 5 or so years than many previous years.

now the last 4/5 years, averaging 22k or so...which to be honest has people wrapping around the goal lines in Indy...plus whatever they get from their cut from FloBuffering has to be good. 

On 8/17/2021 at 7:05 AM, dureau said:

. Props are ok but not necessary to bring the audience to their feet.

Nor to score high, nor place high, nor even to win. There is virtually no connection, for example to the Blue Devils championships, nor medaling, the last 15 years to " props ". They have not had the biggest, most expensive, most elaborate props out on the field in any of their years of recent success. Lots of corps that placed lower than the Blue Devils had bigger props, more expensive props, far more elaborate props out on the field than the Blue Devils did.  I'm pretty sure GE judges are not bedazzled ( or hoodwinked ) by big, bold props out on the field. I've seen plenty of Corps the last 15 years with huge and expensive props out on the field, that failed to make Finals. But... thats THEIR choice, and budget expense. Not anybody elses.  That said, If some of these corps still want to exert time , money and labor on big, elaborate props out on the field for their shows, then hey, knock yourself out is my thought.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're right finals night alone is not the end all be all...regionals certainly help, as do local shows.

i'll be really interested to see how Mid Atlantic shows go now that YEA is defunct. I am hoping A) they are run better and B) more cost effective to take the family to and not sit on the 20. Allentown in general is only going to get so many fans becaue the stadium only holds so many fans. the upper level is only 3 sections for instance. I know Atlanta and San Anotnio have definitely seen much better attendance numbers the last 5 or so years than many previous years.

now the last 4/5 years, averaging 22k or so...which to be honest has people wrapping around the goal lines in Indy...plus whatever they get from their cut from FloBuffering has to be good. 

I think Allentown regional is a DCI produced event, not YEA.

I still don't get why some critics say that drum corps props are put into shows to win, get higher scores, or such.  I think most design teams put props in because they think it will enhance the overall look of the show for the audience.  I've been good friends with several top designers for years, and I've never heard one of them even suggest the props would enhance the scores.  Not one.

Also, a few people have griped about BAC's screens this summer.  I grew to like them more than I thought I would.  You can like them, tolerate them, or hate them if you want, but nobody can seriously suggest that they were put in to increase the scores because, as we all know, there were none this summer.  Also, the "extra 18 wheeler" to transport them was, in fact, a small Uhaul truck because they collapsed down to a small size for travel and storage.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I still don't get why some critics say that drum corps props are put into shows to win, get higher scores, or such.  I think most design teams put props in because they think it will enhance the overall look of the show for the audience.  I've been good friends with several top designers for years, and I've never heard one of them even suggest the props would enhance the scores.  Not one.

Also, a few people have griped about BAC's screens this summer.  I grew to like them more than I thought I would.  You can like them, tolerate them, or hate them if you want, but nobody can seriously suggest that they were put in to increase the scores because, as we all know, there were none this summer.  Also, the "extra 18 wheeler" to transport them was, in fact, a small Uhaul truck because they collapsed down to a small size for travel and storage.  

My biggest gripe with Boston’s screens is that there was a rectangle on the audience  center right screen that was completely dead for two of the nights I saw the show (at Akron and then Thursday night in Indy). On Saturday at Indy, for about a minute in the middle of the show, the rectangle was pixelated. That screen only worked correctly on Friday night in Indy. The failure of that section of the screen was like fingernails dragged across a chalkboard for me (visually( and distracted me from watching a truly magnificent guard and live visual program.

But you are right, Boston didn’t have the screens for extra points this year—there were no points this year. My supposition is that the design staff used this non-competitive year to try them out and see how they worked. As far as that goes, this was the year to do it.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My biggest gripe with Boston’s screens is that there was a rectangle on the audience  center right screen that was completely dead for two of the nights I saw the show (at Akron and then Thursday night in Indy). On Saturday at Indy, for about a minute in the middle of the show, the rectangle was pixelated. That screen only worked correctly on Friday night in Indy. The failure of that section of the screen was like fingernails dragged across a chalkboard for me (visually( and distracted me from watching a truly magnificent guard and live visual program.

But you are right, Boston didn’t have the screens for extra points. My supposition is that the design staff used this non-competitive year to try them out and see how they worked. As far as that goes, this was the year to do it.

Fair point, Lancer.  I saw them live in the three shows they hosted;  the first night was problematic but the other two were fine. Although I am not privy to the inner workings of BAC's design team and management, I suspect the jury is still out on their future use.  My understanding is that they were leased, not purchased, and if that is the case Boston might well not re up for 2022.  Quite frankly, when I watched the corps this summer I really had a hard time taking my eyes off that super human guard. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevedci said:

But the focus on championship finals night as the metric of success is maybe misplaced.... how many eyeballs are watching the overall event and how much value are generated by those eyeballs.... you might be able to make a pretty compelling case that close to 100,000 sets of value-generating eyeballs watch the 2019 DCI championships live -- all events, all media, all platforms.

How so?

I imagine there could be that many tickets/webcasts sold for the whole week.  But "100,000 sets of value-generating eyeballs" means 100,000 different people.  What data supports that conclusion?

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I still don't get why some critics say that drum corps props are put into shows to win, get higher scores, or such. 

Maybe they got the idea from here:

On 7/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, craiga said:

I would agree with you regarding Boston's props etc if they were fielding an exhibition show this summer.  They are not.  They see this particular season as something else entirely.  In fact, no one there is even using the word "exhibition".  This is a regular (albeit shorter) season to them.  

Or here:

On 6/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, craiga said:

While I don't speak for BAC, I have been around the organization since the late 1970s, and I count some of the upper management  and almost all of the BOD among some of my closest friends.  I have known many of these people 30 or 40 years and I know them well. As far as this summer goes, their collective world view is that despite the brief season and having only 9 or 10 shows, it will be an essential cog into climbing into the top 3 sooner rather than later.  The top shelf design  team is talked about frequently on here, but the decision makers in Hyde Park are absolutely committed to doing whatever it takes to get the corps in a position to eventually win.  When will this happen?  I have no idea, but from what I've been told, the show coming out of Boston this summer is being designed and taught AS IF this were a regular season.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

How so?

I imagine there could be that many tickets/webcasts sold for the whole week.  But "100,000 sets of value-generating eyeballs" means 100,000 different people.  What data supports that conclusion?

~100,000 instantiations of value generating eyeballs, not unique sets of eyeballs.