The end of scores?

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy. as stated many times on here, the biggest issues cost wise are housing, fuel, insurance and food. yeah the props require an extra truck, so that doesnt help, and the cost of them doesn't help. But schools don't come free anymore, and renting major college stadiums to rehearse aint cheap. feeding the kids better costs more. 154 members means more of everything. the tour schedule doesn't help. Go read a corps 990, and you'll see props is a line item on expenses, and much smaller than other items i listed above

Guess I wasn't clear.

My point is that putting  "seats in the seats" and improving  a corps' "bottom line" should be a priority when investing in things like props.

Attendance may have gone up for certain events.

But the number of events has decreased over time, as has attendance at smaller shows.

Investing in props, regardless of relative cost, to a corps overall budget, doesn't seem to cost effective, if the amount of red ink isn't going down.

easy. as stated many times on here, the biggest issues cost wise are housing, fuel, insurance and food. yeah the props require an extra truck, so that doesn't help, and the cost of them doesn't help. But schools don't come free anymore, and renting major college stadiums to rehearse aint cheap. feeding the kids better costs more. 154 members means more of everything. the tour schedule doesn't help. Go read a corps 990, and you'll see props is a line item on expenses, and much smaller than other items i listed above

Then add the semi, fuel for said semi and driver(s) for hauling those "props" and cost of those "props" to achieve "score".  It's not a small number for some corps.  It's a rather unfair advantage spending money to achieve "score".  All it would take is a rule restricting to one semi trailer for equipment uniforms and another for food.  Removal of local touring then makes the cost for that extra semi rather large.

i have checked attendance figures. there's threads on here with them. and attendance now compared to 20 years ago for the most part is night and day. 

Indeed it is.  But it doesn't support what you are inferring to those numbers.  Simply stating something 100k+ times to reinforce a misnomer doesn't make it a fact or even remotely true.

the post count is because a) almost 20 years here and B) an overwhelming majority were in the old off topic forums where we discussed anything but drum corps, but many great friendships and a few long term relationships or marriages came from. so really you may think you're cool taking shot at a number on a screen, but a little research would show you there's a lot you don't understand about that number.

and for the record i don't even know what the number is. nor do I care, but if you keeping track makes you feel better go for it. Now i'm soon gonna go to facebook to check in on Mike and Alisha's hawaii trip pix...2 people that met and feel in love, married and had a beautiful daughter because they met in those OT Forums, right here on DCP.

That's only an average or 13-14 posts a day for 20 years.....

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy. as stated many times on here, the biggest issues cost wise are housing, fuel, insurance and food. yeah the props require an extra truck, so that doesnt help, and the cost of them doesn't help. But schools don't come free anymore, and renting major college stadiums to rehearse aint cheap. feeding the kids better costs more. 154 members means more of everything. the tour schedule doesn't help. Go read a corps 990, and you'll see props is a line item on expenses, and much smaller than other items i listed above

An additional truck for props is not just a line item... it is a series of line items.

And how can we rationalize another new expense just because it is smaller than some other existing expense?  If my mortgage payment is small compared to yours, then you should have no problem with paying it for me, then.  Right?

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have checked attendance figures. there's threads on here with them. and attendance now compared to 20 years ago for the most part is night and day. 

Not sure what this last sentence means.  Of course attendance "now" (in pandemic 2021, or shutdown 2020) vs. any other year is like night and day.  But I doubt that is what you meant.

If you are referring to 2019 vs. 1999, what distinction is "night and day" there?

17 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Guess I wasn't clear.

My point is that putting  "seats in the seats" and improving  a corps' "bottom line" should be a priority when investing in things like props.

Attendance may have gone up for certain events.

But the number of events has decreased over time, as has attendance at smaller shows.

Investing in props, regardless of relative cost, to a corps overall budget, doesn't seem to cost effective, if the amount of red ink isn't going down.

i don't disagree, but props are not the cost everyone thinks they, just like electronics. designers never have and never will care about ##### in the seats. thats not their job. their job is to design and hopefully score well

17 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Then add the semi, fuel for said semi and driver(s) for hauling those "props" and cost of those "props" to achieve "score".  It's not a small number for some corps.  It's a rather unfair advantage spending money to achieve "score".  All it would take is a rule restricting to one semi trailer for equipment uniforms and another for food.  Removal of local touring then makes the cost for that extra semi rather large.

s i said those costs don't help...but yet are far from the biggest drag on a corps budget. feed up to 200 people 4 times a day and have options available for those with special dietary needs or requests....not cheap. insurance, especially to cover liability for housing and injury for up to 200 people? Not cheap. driving a minimum of 2/3 of the country in gas guzzlers? not cheap. Want to stay in a school? not free anymore. oh and rehearsing for up to 6 weeks before tour? thats the biggest dent into a budget because no revenue is being generated at that time

Indeed it is.  But it doesn't support what you are inferring to those numbers.  Simply stating something 100k+ times to reinforce a misnomer doesn't make it a fact or even remotely true.

from a post in 2008 right here. only Denver and Pasadena beat what Indy gets now and its pretty clear location matters

1999 (Madison) 19,931

2000 (College Park) 18,423

2001 (Buffalo) 16,505

2002 (Madison) 20,230

2003 (Orlando) 18,865

2004 (Denver) 22,047

2005 (Boston) 20,542

2006 (Madison) 21,236

2007 (Pasadena) 24,395

That's only an average or 13-14 posts a day for 20 years.....

used to be a lot more per day. there was an entire year i didnt post at all except when a friend passed away. but like a Nascar fan drawn to the wrecks, i came back