MADISON SCOUTS 2022

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

HAs nothing to do with judging.

.Remember the corps decide what and how the criteria comes about and how and what direction the activity moves

Correct. That is my point. The fan appeal of the 3 Corps of Madison , Phantom, and Cadets that made all 3 in the top 5 favorites with the fans this summer( flo marching national poll)  had nothing to do with judging  as judges were not involved at all this summer . The shows of these 3 corps however will substantially change next season as all 3 know what the criteria is when exhibitions give way to judges judging them in scored competItion next season . All 3 understand the judging criteria as all 3 of them voted in favor of  the current  judging sheets  at  Winter Meetings  when changes were made in the criteria of the sheets  a few years ago… the same way  all the Corps likewise did at the time too . So yes, I do in fact recall that changes in the judging sheets were made at Winter Meetings a few years back and that all  these corps in  DCI  all agreed in the criteria that will be utilized once judged competition returns next summer . I thoroughly enjoyed this summer of shows  from these 3 and I look forward to seeing what these 3 and all the other corps in DCI have in store for us next season as well.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Actually, no.  If "score" is given for "things" rather than "demand", "performance" and "exposure" forces the never ending "get score" aka things race.  Had judging did this in the 80's one would think Star's "hamster wheels" (and extra semi) would have started this race decades earlier.

You're missing who decides how things are judged and where the activity goes...Judges just don't make up the rules based on nothing, it's how corps decide how judging will go. Now if one doesn't like how judging turns out , that's different, judging criteria or the direction of the activity is decided by the corps.

So if you want to  blame why one thing has more weight than another or a breakdown you have to blame the corps.

10 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Correct. That is my point. The fan appeal of the 3 Corps of Madison , Phantom, and Cadets that made them all top 5 favorites with the fans this summer had nothing to do with judging  as judges were not involved at all this summer . The shows of these 3 corps will substantially change next season as all 3 know what the criteria is when exhibitions give way to judges judging them in scored competItion next season . All 3 understand the judging criteria as all 3 of them voted in favor of  the current  judging sheets  at  Winter Meetings  when changes were made in the criteria of the sheets  a few years ago… the same all the Corps likewise did at the time . So yes. I do in fact recall that changes in the judging sheets were made at Winter Meetings and that all  these corps in  DCI  all agreed in the criteria that will be utilized once judged competition returns next summer . I thoroughly enjoyed this summer of shows  and I look forward to seeing what all these corps in DCI have in store for us next season too .

Youre right BUT those same corps you are praising and who deserve it are some of the same who help make the rules and the criteria. Some have it  backward on WHO AND WHY and HOW theses things come about. I'm not saying I'm in favor of 1 or the other just how the process works. Often judges get the wrap yet the corps themselves made those decisions and the direction and breakdown. Now if some don't like how the judging came out, that's a much different story.

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You're missing who decides how things are judged and where the activity goes...Judges just don't make up the rules based on nothing, it's how corps decide how judging will go. Now if one doesn't like how judging turns out , that's different, judging criteria or the direction of the activity is decided by the corps.

So if you want to  blame why one thing has more weight than another or a breakdown you have to blame the corps.

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Youre right BUT those same corps you are praising and who deserve it are some of the same who help make the rules and the criteria. Some have it  backward on WHO AND WHY and HOW theses things come about. I'm not saying I'm in favor of 1 or the other just how the process works. Often judges get the wrap yet the corps themselves made those decisions and the direction and breakdown. Now if some don't like how the judging came out, that's a much different story.

The 3 Corps put on shows this summer that they believed would be fun for students and fun for fans . They were correct as it turns out . I have not heard that these 3 corps show designers and staff are not happy with the judging system that will be in place next summer as you are correct … all 3 voted for it . I don’t see these 3 corps lining up to “ blame judges “ next season  for sheets they voted for . As far as I can tell then it’s all good .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

The 3 Corps put on shows this summer that they believed would be fun for students and fun for fans . They were correct as it turns out . I have not heard that these 3 corps show designers and staff are not happy with the judging system that will be in place next summer as you are correct … all 3 voted for it . I don’t see these 3 corps lining up to “ blame judges “ for sheets they voted for . As far as I can tell then it’s all good .

Right. ....Bottom line is it will be ( as always ) just what the corps want it to be....whatever that means

• Like 1

Plenty of corps do great, entertaining shows under whatever scoring system is in place. Even some lower-placing corps put on great shows that fans and members a like love. It's always a package of things that matters: design, music, teaching, talent, execution, etc. A bit of vision, too. Madison just hasn't put a good package together for a while. I don't think the scores, or judging, is as big a deal as some of us here think.

16 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Plenty of corps do great, entertaining shows under whatever scoring system is in place. Even some lower-placing corps put on great shows that fans and members a like love. It's always a package of things that matters: design, music, teaching, talent, execution, etc. A bit of vision, too. Madison just hasn't put a good package together for a while. I don't think the scores, or judging, is as big a deal as some of us here think.

I agree . I even leave some local shows early and before the scores are announced to beat the traffic . I’m there for the Corps … not the judges . 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 6:48 PM, bobjective said:

-Bring back the Latin music in some modern fashion. There is a ton of great source music out there that you can work with.

Agreed.

For example, I recently saw Disney’s Encanto and the music from that film could easily help make a great Madison show (at least in my opinion).  One track in particular is “No se habla de Bruno”. Gives me real 1995/1996 vibes.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:07 PM, bobjective said:

I hope this topic is not too early for discussion. But, I believe based on what I saw from the Scouts from their first gender inclusive shortened season, I believe that they can have a really good season next year. I understand that they are starting a competitive winter percussion program, a winter guard, and teaming up with the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. I think this will be great for talent development during the winter months for the Scouts. The future can be good for them again!

Unfortunately, Disney is very stingy with licensing.