1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

very good news. hope the got a good ROI on them

I believe they were just rented/leased. I am sure if they bought them, we would have saw more of them.

Edited by Liahona

9 minutes ago, craiga said:

So, I made it to Castleton this afternoon.  I recently retired from my job, and it is an amazing feeling of freedom that I can relax and enjoy the corps without having to even think about when I need to go home.  That said, everything here is exactly as you would expect.   The corps IS full, with no holes and morale is sky high.  There seems to be 72 brass, 9/5/5 battery,  a large front ensemble, and a massive, extremely experienced guard. Cool day today...barely 60 with a wind, but mostly sunny. This is year 6 for this senior staff, so it was awesome arriving here today and being greeted by the usual cast of characters.   This, seriously, is comfort food, and as I get older, I'm not taking any of this for granted.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

The Maslanka Piece that you really want to listen too which will  prob garner the most source material is Movement V of the Child's Garden of Dreams. AMAZING Source Material and it makes a phenomenal Opener.

Great piece of music!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, craiga said:

So, I made it to Castleton this afternoon.  I recently retired from my job, and it is an amazing feeling of freedom that I can relax and enjoy the corps without having to even think about when I need to go home.  That said, everything here is exactly as you would expect.   The corps IS full, with no holes and morale is sky high.  There seems to be 72 brass, 9/5/5 battery,  a large front ensemble, and a massive, extremely experienced guard. Cool day today...barely 60 with a wind, but mostly sunny. This is year 6 for this senior staff, so it was awesome arriving here today and being greeted by the usual cast of characters.   This, seriously, is comfort food, and as I get older, I'm not taking any of this for granted.

From my former student, I concur.  He tells me their morale is extremely high & they're pumped!  He's ready for their performances to start & their Pearls sound great!  "Eat 'em up BAC"!   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

I stand corrected....Boston has 80 brass. Looks like the guard is around 50.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, craiga said:

That sounds like an amazing Retirement plan. One that I aspire too. 

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I stand corrected....Boston has 80 brass. Looks like the guard is around 50.

Is that then 10 Tubas 16 Mellos 

They mentioned having 26 Trombones in the Design piece so that leaves 28 Trumpets?

Are those the standard Brass numbers these days?

33 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Is that then 10 Tubas 16 Mellos 

They mentioned having 26 Trombones in the Design piece so that leaves 28 Trumpets?

Are those the standard Brass numbers these days?

" standard brass numbers " vary from Corps to Corps, and among World Class and Open Class Division Corps.  Typical brass numbers for Top 12 World Class Division Corps are generally between 66 and 80 brass,... with 72 these days about mid range of what we could expect to see in brass size numbers ( before the overall corps numbers  allowed increased to 165 for this season and beyond )  Trombones are typically utilized as a specialized brass instrument in the show, where the trombone player uses another standard brass instrument for most of the show. As such, an 80 brass line might be reasonably expected to have a breakdown of perhaps in the order of 26 trumpets/ 16 mellos/ 26 bari's or euphs/ 12 tubas. 

Edited by Boss Anova

There are 12 tubas this year. I am not  sure of the rest, but they do have both baris and euphs this year.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1