3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Are they using Pearls?  Jim will be thrilled. 

They signed a long-term contract with them. Yes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I seem to recall from other years that they are sleeping in the dorms at the College (actual beds). I could be wrong, but this was my understanding.

Yes, they are sleeping in the dorms and eating 3 meals a day in the University cafeteria prepared by the Casleton food service folks.   The fourth meal is I think served off the food truck by BAC folks (although that is a guess because I am always asleep in the rv when they get to it).  And I think this eating and sleeping arrangement goes back several years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, craiga said:

Yes, they are sleeping in the dorms and eating 3 meals a day in the University cafeteria prepared by the Casleton food service folks.   The fourth meal is I think served off the food truck by BAC folks (although that is a guess because I am always asleep in the rv when they get to it).  And I think this eating and sleeping arrangement goes back several years.

Not sure how far back. 2018?  I went to ST whatever the year was to help bc with food over a weekend and found out I wasn’t needed as they were being fed in the dining hall 3x a day.  The university kitchen folks were stunned how much the kids ate.  Usually cleaning out everything.  They said they ate more than the college students did.  But they didn’t know they burned several thousand calories a day. It’s a good deal though and I got to chill and watch more rehearsal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Well I think it is a great idea.  I am sure the food service folks are happy to be working when they might not be working otherwise....and the volunteers can help with other things other than spending all day ...preparing.. cooking.. cleaning...as far as sleep...I think being able to sleep in an actual bed makes all the difference in the world in terms of not being worn out just before tour.  We all know how grueling tour can be on everyone.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Not sure how far back. 2018?  I went to ST whatever the year was to help bc with food over a weekend and found out I wasn’t needed as they were being fed in the dining hall 3x a day.  The university kitchen folks were stunned how much the kids ate.  Usually cleaning out everything.  They said they ate more than the college students did.  But they didn’t know they burned several thousand calories a day. It’s a good deal though and I got to chill and watch more rehearsal.

I read somewhere that (most corps kids) burn around 5,000 calories a day.  Even on a 6,000 calorie diet they still can loose weight.  Just look at some of the before and after tour photos.

7 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I read somewhere that (most corps kids) burn around 5,000 calories a day.  Even on a 6,000 calorie diet they still can loose weight.  Just look at some of the before and after tour photos.

There were no chubby kids in my time marching.  Because we rehearsed a lot and ate little.  One year I started out at 205lbs, by August I was as low as 160.  Now they are fed and fed much better.  But they do work their butts off.  I agree with the 6,000 calories/day.

I think when the corps dug deep into the figures, paying the College to do it simply made sense.  Also, it gives the BAC chef and food crew alot less to deal with until they literally hit the road. And yes,  the University food people were really amazed by the food consumption that first year. Another Benny is that the corps members can actually sit at tables with chairs!

• Like 1