1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm rooting for Boston just as much as Cavies, I'm just noting how close the Cavaliers are to them whilst the Cavaliers are a hot mess and Boston is NOT a hot mess.

Honestly, SCV is a hot mess too, and I think all three corps mentioned are going to be off the hook good by the end of the season. 

I'm not going to criticize  your comments, especially in view of the fact that you seem more than open to the idea of BAC rising up through the competitive ranks this year.  But, as many others have stated, Detroit is only one show and the judges' first look at that.  As a Boston supporter, I have no issues whatsoever with the scores and placements from this show because it is a starting point.  And, the distance between the Cavies and BAC at a show in June is about as meaningful as....well...the distance between BAC and the Bluecoats.  It is simply a snapshot in time made by 8 judges, all with the best of intentions.  And for the record, I personally like the shows from both BD and Bloo this year.  I think they are great, but I also know that Boston is preparing to pull out all the stops to catch both of these fine drum corps. Eat 'em up, Boston!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, craiga said:

I'm not going to criticize  your comments, especially in view of the fact that you seem more than open to the idea of BAC rising up through the competitive ranks this year.  But, as many others have stated, Detroit is only one show and the judges' first look at that.  As a Boston supporter, I have no issues whatsoever with the scores and placements from this show because it is a starting point.  And, the distance between the Cavies and BAC at a show in June is about as meaningful as....well...the distance between BAC and the Bluecoats.  It is simply a snapshot in time made by 8 judges, all with the best of intentions.  And for the record, I personally like the shows from both BD and Bloo this year.  I think they are great, but I also know that Boston is preparing to pull out all the stops to catch both of these fine drum corps. Eat 'em up, Boston!

I'm hoping for Boston to rise up and get some DCI titles. Their organization has weathered many storms, and they're only down a little from Bluecoats. Anything can happen, but it shocked me to see them be so clean and still down to Bloo. I expected it to be much closer in score... I expected Cavaliers to be up there too, but I didn't know some specifics about them this year that I sometimes get to know before the start of the season.

You're right, it doesn't matter, but it's an interesting thought experiment to try and figure out how each corps can do better an overtake other corps in the scoring.

Ok so I need an explanation… I saw a video… Why is there a 2 minute baritone solo and snareline feature in the middle of their show? Can anyone explain to me what is happening there? I love avant- guard but… Bostons show in the middle/back half just loses me. 

8 hours ago, charlie1223 said:

Ok so I need an explanation… I saw a video… Why is there a 2 minute baritone solo and snareline feature in the middle of their show? Can anyone explain to me what is happening there? I love avant- guard but… Bostons show in the middle/back half just loses me. Es

The percussion feature is called "Snake", and includes a euphonium solo.  Back during the show reveal, it was announced that Boston would be trying some new things in terns of instrumentation at times.

Also, as this production begins,  the battery forms a large black snake which winds its way through the field of white-uniformed brass players to set up the percussion feature. The camera crews didn't happen to catch that in Detroit, but I'm sure they will.  (It was their first show, too)

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

The percussion feature is called "Snake", and includes a euphonium solo.  Back during the show reveal, it was announced that Boston would be trying some new things in terns of instrumentation at times.

Also, as this production begins,  the battery forms a large black snake which winds its way through the field of white-uniformed brass players to set up the percussion feature. The camera crews didn't happen to catch that in Detroit, but I'm sure they will.  (It was their first show, too)

New instrumentation and they choose a euphonium? They should of used a keytar like Bluecoats! All jokes aside, it does seem like a pacing issue as of right now. (I’m sure it will continued to be developed over time) but also may need some serious revisions by the design team. 

2 minutes ago, Danby510 said:

New instrumentation and they choose a euphonium? They should of used a keytar like Bluecoats! All jokes aside, it does seem like a pacing issue as of right now. (I’m sure it will continued to be developed over time) but also may need some serious revisions by the design team. 

OBOE!  (Cause the bassoon burns too long...)  Get it? :spitting:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Danby510 said:

What I like most about this sound is that it is performer performed and uniquely by a brasser and augmented by percussionists . It is not done by an artificial sound engineering creation , not pre programmed by adults .. As such the sound is subject to misplay on the performer brass and percussion instruments … or conversely , brilliantly coordinated and executed by the marchers themselves in performance . Hopefully , such unique sounds created by the performers themselves , will be noticed by judges , and if properly executed in performances, rewarded in the sheets for such .Otherwise, it might behoove show designers to scrap such performer initiated sounds and utilize pre programmed sound engineering for the sound instead  , which is not subject to daily field performer unrewarded risk taking and variance quality . 

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

What I like most about this sound is that it is performer performed and uniquely by a brasser and augmented by percussionists . It is not done by an artificial sound engineering creation , not pre programmed by adults .. As such the sound is subject to misplay on the performer brass and percussion instruments … or conversely , brilliantly coordinated and executed by the marchers themselves in performance . Hopefully , such unique sounds created by the performers themselves , will be noticed by judges , and if properly executed in performances, rewarded in the sheets for such .Otherwise, it might behoove show designers to scrap such performer initiated sounds and utilize pre programmed sound engineering for the sound instead  , which is not subject to daily field performer unrewarded risk taking and variance quality . 

You had me at "brasser"  :spitting:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danby510 said:

They do use a concertina. And I never said that a euph was a new instrument, only that Boston was trying some new instrumentation. I think a percussion feature which includes a low brass solo would qualify as something new.  It was obviously novel enough for you to ask about it.