59 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Anyway. Not sure why I posted this, but I needed to write it down somewhere, and this seemed like the best venue for it. And I look forward to seeing the show grow on me through the rest of the season.

Taste is such an individual thing. Boston has a much neater and uncluttered look on the field this year. The white unis also add to a certain “sterile” feel. I find this show to be high in style, variety, and emotion.  Get chills every time they roll the props in WAWW. 

Edited by Ediker
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but it is probably worth noting that this show was not designed to be at its maximum effectiveness on a computer or TV screen.  I have found many people who were lukewarm to it until they saw it live.

Also, like it or not, there is no value in comparing it to "The Core of Temptation" which BAC did in 2009. I traveled with them the entire summer  that year, and I can confirm that the two shows literally have nothing in common other than an apple as one of the props.

The 'not designed for a screen' aspect is why I caveated my comments.

And I mean, I wouldn't go so far as to say they have nothing in common. They're both essentially about Eve and the apple, just with different perspectives. And they have essentially the same color palette, just flipped (corps in white, guard in red, instead of the reverse).

I dunno, maybe I'm just an old fart who thinks drum corps design was better back in my day. (E.g. I'm the guy whose review of Bluecoats at the tour premiere each year starts with an assessment of whether or not they are wearing blue, or coats; and my review of that show was, 'dang, am I too old for this stuff now?') So I'm fully willing to admit it might just be me.

14 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

The 'not designed for a screen' aspect is why I caveated my comments.

And I mean, I wouldn't go so far as to say they have nothing in common. They're both essentially about Eve and the apple, just with different perspectives. And they have essentially the same color palette, just flipped (corps in white, guard in red, instead of the reverse).

I dunno, maybe I'm just an old fart who thinks drum corps design was better back in my day. (E.g. I'm the guy whose review of Bluecoats at the tour premiere each year starts with an assessment of whether or not they are wearing blue, or coats; and my review of that show was, 'dang, am I too old for this stuff now?') So I'm fully willing to admit it might just be me.

Dude, since I am 62, I am a much older fart than you.   The Core of Temptation show was designed by a very good friend of mine and it was a tremendous show, placing 7th that year.  But I also have had multiple conversations with members of BAC'S current design team, and while I am certainly not their spokesperson,  I can tell you that the two shows are completely different  approaches....2009 being the telling of the story and 2022 being more of a dreamscape of John Milton's PARADISE LOST.

One final point....in an era of ambiguous corps identities, as someone who marched there 42 years ago, I for one LOVE the fact that the design team has them in the traditional corps colors of red, white, and black.  They could have chosen any colors. HeII, there is even a Waldo on the guard uniforms in 2022! As a fellow old fart, I'm sure you appreciate THAT!

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

So, I've watched the show in the theater and now on various other platforms that shall remain nameless, which could be affecting my opinion, but...

It's not doing it for me personally. The tango section feels completely out of place and like it stops the show dead, in the same way that the trombone feature going into the Rocky theme did in 2019--there's no real energy to it in what I've seen. In some respects it feels a bit like just pulling out the bag of tricks left over from when Keith Potter came north--the tango feels a bit like a rehash of El Tango de Roxane in Crown 2016, the staggering out of the company front in the Lacrimosa read to me at first blush like a rehash of the crawling out from beneath the red screen in Crown 2015.

It feels...cold. In a way that 2019 did, and 2018 didn't. Everything is technically good, but the overall package leaves something to be desired for me. Partially because...

I think I'm instinctively comparing this show to the last time they did a show about the Garden of Eden, and I liked this show more when they did in 2009. That show had some fun to it, in a way that this one doesn't quite yet for me. Though part of that may be demographics, in that in 2009 I was a guy who had just graduated high school, so I was the exact right age for that show to hit me in a certain way.

Anyway. Not sure why I posted this, but I needed to write it down somewhere, and this seemed like the best venue for it. And I look forward to seeing the show grow on me through the rest of the season.

I understand what you are saying and quite honestly I can see how BAC comes across on videos and maybe some Flo production, although I’ve never seen a Flo production.  But if a video I saw from Delaware is any indication of what comes across as Boston’s production, it completely falls short.  Live is the only way to get a full appreciation of the show. The power, the music, the cleanliness and the overall visual cohesiveness.  Also bear in mind that although Keith Potter is the artistic director and program visionary, the music you reference is written by others.  Even though it is a full collaborative effort by the entire design team with a number of backgrounds, it isn’t a rehash of Crown at all.  Not even a little.  This is Boston’s staff creating for Boston.  Crown has their own very good staff creating for Crown.  They are not creating their former corps programs with Crown now are they?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I understand what you are saying and quite honestly I can see how BAC comes across on videos and maybe some Flo production, although I’ve never seen a Flo production.  But if a video I saw from Delaware is any indication of what comes across as Boston’s production, it completely falls short.  Live is the only way to get a full appreciation of the show. The power, the music, the cleanliness and the overall visual cohesiveness.  Also bear in mind that although Keith Potter is the artistic director and program visionary, the music you reference is written by others.  Even though it is a full collaborative effort by the entire design team with a number of backgrounds, it isn’t a rehash of Crown at all.  Not even a little.  This is Boston’s staff creating for Boston.  Crown has their own very good staff creating for Crown.  They are not creating their former corps programs with Crown now are they?

The Delaware video is what I was watching, so yes, I'm fully open to it being a limit of my viewing experience.