Great Job tonight BAC, from a Crown honk!  I think BAC looks cleaner than any other top 6 corps on the field right now, btw.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Also bear in mind that although Keith Potter is the artistic director and program visionary, the music you reference is written by others.  Even though it is a full collaborative effort by the entire design team with a number of backgrounds, it isn’t a rehash of Crown at all.  Not even a little.  This is Boston’s staff creating for Boston.  Crown has their own very good staff creating for Crown.  They are not creating their former corps programs with Crown now are they?

Welllllllll……. IDK about this part. Some designers have a strong style, and certain design tics, and if you know their tics, you’d be able to pick them out anywhere. Kinda like how Meryl Streep is always basically Meryl Streep, even when she’s supposedly playing a Prime Minister, or a potato, or whatever.

I like BAC’s show a lot. I think they’ll get a really high placement. But I don’t think it can be denied that some stuff in the design is eerily familiar. If the only shows I’d ever seen were Inferno and Relentless I’d think BAC were the same corps. 

It’s not just the tango section alone; it’s the tango combined with the ballad, both of which take classic popular songs and play them against type in an unexpected genre, which is a concept Crown has directly done before, and the arrangements are pretty similar to what Crown has done before; it’s the style of guard’s partner work among the weapons during that tango, which Crown also did; it’s the staging of company front for the brassline and the way they lead into and out of it, as well as some details in the guard work during that moment (lifting off the ground with one hand and slowing raising a flag with the other during a huge horn hold in the music) that are extremely Crown. Etc.

I don’t think that’s a BAD thing. I like that designers have recognizable styles, and BAC’s team has done plenty of new stuff this year, so whatever. I just don’t think that the people noticing similarities are talking out of turn. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Welllllllll……. IDK about this part. Some designers have a strong style, and certain design tics, and if you know their tics, you’d be able to pick them out anywhere. Kinda like how Meryl Streep is always basically Meryl Streep, even when she’s supposedly playing a Prime Minister, or a potato, or whatever.

I like BAC’s show a lot. I think they’ll get a really high placement. But I don’t think it can be denied that some stuff in the design is eerily familiar. If the only shows I’d ever seen were Inferno and Relentless I’d think BAC were the same corps. 

It’s not just the tango section alone; it’s the tango combined with the ballad, both of which take classic popular songs and play them against type in an unexpected genre, which is a concept Crown has directly done before, and the arrangements are pretty similar to what Crown has done before; it’s the style of guard’s partner work among the weapons during that tango, which Crown also did; it’s the staging of company front for the brassline and the way they lead into and out of it, as well as some details in the guard work during that moment (lifting off the ground with one hand and slowing raising a flag with the other during a huge horn hold in the music) that are extremely Crown. Etc.

I don’t think that’s a BAD thing. I like that designers have recognizable styles, and BAC’s team has done plenty of new stuff this year, so whatever. I just don’t think that the people noticing similarities are talking out of turn. 

AGREE 100%!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

There is rarely anything done these days that hasn't been done before in one way or other by other corps...IMO.  Crown is no-longer designing like that anymore and besides they beat Boston tonight. So congratulations to them for that with their new design as it is starting to work out well for them.

That said, if you want to make these sort of comparisons, then you only need to look at Crowns drill in this same regard. I could also very easily say when I watch Crown drill I see cadets-lite...especially in the closer where cadets would have taken it up several notches in marching the Jeff Sacktig drill IMO. It was classic Cadets IMO.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Well maybe the Tango piece seems reminiscent of Crown, but it was written by Ryan George. Not a Crown person.  He’s been with Boston for many years, so musically it is his brass influence along with Gino’s input that keeps the show musically away from Crown.  This is like saying Crown is much like old Cadets because that’s where their staff is from.  The never ending inferences (more than inferences) that Boston is doing old Crown stuff is getting tired.  And is a reach.  Time to move on people.  I could explain more,  but it’s useless to do so. The chatter will remain.  Boston will keep working on the show and make changes and add layers.  Until everyone gets to Broken Arrow, Denton and San Antonio it’s all biased blather.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, craiga said:

Finally Liahona, I get to be the one who texts "are they really that good?" and you get to be the one who answers back "yes!"

I am really NOT liking tomorrow nights weather forecast for the Statesboro show. 

Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. High near 88. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

• Sad 1

As a designer, my design belongs to me.

That is not "x" corps style, that is my style. I am free to take that style with me wherever I go. To say that any of these shows are Crown's style is not correct. It's Keith Potter's, Michael Townsend's and May's style. 

To say that you recognize a Michael Gaines production is not a slight. Or a negative. You shouldn't hold the fact that you recognize similar elements in Keith Potter's programing against BAC. 

The same way that I wouldn't hold Jeff Sacktigs drill against Crown. 

These are the best designer's in our activity, their name resonate louder than the corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

There is rarely anything done these days that hasn't been done before in one way or other by other corps...IMO.  Crown is no-longer designing like that anymore and besides they beat Boston tonight. So congratulations to them for that with their new design as it is starting to work out well for them.

That said, if you want to make these sort of comparisons, then you only need to look at Crowns drill in this same regard. I could also very easily say when I watch Crown drill I see cadets-lite...especially in the closer where cadets would have taken it up several notches in marching the Jeff Sacktig drill IMO. It was classic Cadets IMO.

Considering how long that team (Potter-DooDoo-May) spent writing DCI shows together it would be incredible if you didn't see the similarities.   Silly to say "yeah they look like themselves".  

[ OTOH judges can and do challenge designers to break out of their "boxes".   So take that FWIW.  ]

Honestly to me what sticks out more is the flag work from Doo-Doo.  It's unmistakable.

• Like 1