Paraphrased Thoughts on "Judging" from a newly minted 5-year Age Out

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I did march, teach and judged under that and other systems and what you say is more than true,

and we have discussed, privately and here in the forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WilsonStaff said:

Bias more or less prevalent is a matter of opinion. Even in the years following the tic system the sheets didn't match from circuit to circuit. East vs Midwest vs West vs South.  Today's scoring is just as biased in my opinion. 

Growing up around it and talking with folks in the game does not weight your opinion more than the others you are replying with, yet it does not stop matters of opinions stated as facts. 

which is why they consolidated to one solitary circuit, tho DCW and DCE were far closer to the DCI sheets than DCM was.

and the stories from respected legends are legion. Read Don Warrens book for example

16 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Amen!...and talk about park and blow...lol..  remember even the concert number?...lol

Sometimes I look back and wonder how we even broke a sweat...lol..but we did

A LOT of high mark time.

14 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Well I’ll be darned . You convinced me . I had no idea that most music education degrees required courses in these . My degrees are not in music . So I’m ok now with judges judging voice and guitar as they have more training in this than I had originally thought . 

At West Chester, there were and likely are still a ton of 1-2 credit classes covering all this stuff. And in the case of the Pass/Fail things, GPA didn't matter. You wouldn't get the degree or pass a particular course. The Guitar Pass/Fail was a part of Secondary teaching methods. The Voice and Piano requirement were necessary for the actual degree. I remember running around a lot for lessons and rehearsals. Scheduling wasn't simple.

Mike mentioned being a percussion major- In my time at WCU some of our best people were percussionists. Tom Aungst, Scott Litzenberg, Bill Pease, Rich Fitz, some fine, fine folks. Also masterful musicians.

Mike's point on HS evaluations having to be more broad-based, you bet! In the early days of the HS Band circuits, there tended to be a brass-centric feel because mainly the judges stemmed from a corps experience. That began to change in the early 80's, BoA (Known as MBA back then) I believe really drove that hard. The Tick hieroglyphics were double complicated because of that. IIRC WW ticks had bars stickling out to the left, brass to the right.. Percussion ticks were... Not sure if those differentiated between snare, Tenors, and Bass and Xylos. By the time you got the correct hieroglyphic stuck down on the right category of the sheet, called it... unless you were FAST and QUICK with the Pen.. how many would one have missed in that time? Food for thought.

• Like 1

Also, when one listens to brass sections from the tick era, I can't help but notice the 'blockiness' of the performance/stilted phrasing/chopped off at the root releases/compromised musicality... why? To avoid ticks. and any questions or doubts about cleanliness. And yeah, I was in DCA when this was how it was done.

There are no doubts in my mind shows became a lot more multi-dimensional when the ticks were dropped. I don't think you'd have had the creative explosion and more dynamic shows without that change. Everyone would keep the Concert numbers, reducing risk... Guard work, far more military to keep consistency... Horn books far less adventurous and played less musically to make sure that it's presented as clean.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

first you assume everyone was in the stadium to watch surf. thats not a knock on Surf, thats a knock on fans who wait til "names" go on

Yeah... the attitude of. "We have our tickets and seats, we can show up at the show a half hour late and won't miss anything. Maybe we watch (Crown/BD Coats) warm up some first." Sad is an understatement of how I feel about that attitude.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, Boss Anova said:

Without Judge feedback, scores, placements, competition, the product itself in time  would become  stale and stuck in a rut of little to no improvements , in my opinion . Pretty sure also , I would not have payed money to have marched Drum Corps in my youth if all my hard practices , sleeping on gym floors  , and long bus rides, etc  were to then do just parades and 20-25 or so exhibitions on another town’s football fields all summer . 

I don't where Drum Corps would be today without the widespread adaptation of an innovation that I so lovingly refer to as "PARK-N-BLOW SQUAT POSING" (PNBSP) -- gotta be sure to check that box (body movement) for the judges!!

Edited by ykw
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it was never full tick. you had the GE blend.

but 72-82 you saw in time the power group form: BD, SCV, Phantom, Madison...to a smaller degree 27th and Bridgemen. 77-79 top 3 BD, SCV, Phantom. SCV fell out in 80, boom 81. BD wins 76, 77, 79, 80, 82. by 75, most of the major shuffling was done

I recall how the tic system worked as I marched in the first three DCI finals and 2 years prior to that.  We would dissect our score sheets and gather around the tape recorder to listen to the GE Brass Judging tapes. 

The rise of those corps and their consistent placement had nothing to do with scoring systems, and everything to do with good management, parental support groups, and revenue streams. 

• Like 1