Paraphrased Thoughts on "Judging" from a newly minted 5-year Age Out

On 8/22/2021 at 7:14 AM, GUARDLING said:

Often management with good intentions and no big picture insight.

.Which lead to corps not making it one way or another. Also there are some of the big money makers of today who were notorious for the same and were lucky enough to hang on by a thread over the years and now have a money making machine Success and promises made, promises KEPT goes a long way.

This brings to mind a mid '90's show coordinator not in DCI telling me that he made sure the staff was Paid. That experience really had him pretty messed up at one point. I don't think I've ever seen this person that upset about anything when he told me this.

Eventually, that whole situation did get righted.  The organization's kind of swept that part of their timeline down the memory hole. Personally, my thoughts are that you need to remember where you come from, even when it's uncomfortable and it hurts. It keeps one humble and things in perspective.

• Like 1

Looking at some very deep thoughts here, a lot of this has to do with how an organization puts certain things in perspective.

Good example: My Brass technician told me he's got a friend who marched snare in a couple of top end DCI corps. They lost a contest. People in the guard were crying. This cat shook his head and said, "Why are you all crying? It's taco night!"

If it's all about numbers/placement... things usually head to a bad place in so many ways. Things need to be in perspective. If a team ends up consumed... it rarely ends well.

I'd like to meet this guy and ask him how good were those tacos, because I'll definitely have some.

• Haha 1