Paraphrased Thoughts on "Judging" from a newly minted 5-year Age Out

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Yep. As stated on my "end of scores?" thread, the actual current members see little value in scores. It's the parasitic adults and bitter alums from 30 years ago who care.

Except that the most talented marchers every year gravitate to the Corps that score the highest in judged competitions . Most brass and percussion marchers in DCI elite Corps came from marching bands and/ or WGI units that were scored in competitions . The Battery in percussion in World Class Division Corps are mostly all from WGI or DCI or marching bands that performed in judged competitions .  What percentage of today’s Guard in all of today’s DCI Corps do we believe came  from non judged exhibition units before we watched them out on the exhibition field this summer ?  60% ?… 80% ?…. 30% ? …. Or maybe 2%  or even less ?  If we enjoyed what we saw out on the field this summer , let’s  recognize the undeniable reality at least , that just about all the performers out there marched previously in units scored in judged competition and it was their previous participation in their  judged competition units that allowed them to flourish and become as stellar as they were this summer . If they all came from  exhibition only performing marching arts units the last 4-5 years , there is little chance they would be this good at their craft in what we just witnessed this summer , imo 

Edited by Boss Anova

18 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

What about concerts? no fun because it’s not competitive? 
I doubt drum corps is a closer relative to sports than musical groups 

I enjoy concerts too but DCI is synonym with judges and scores. And I think competition drives kids to be their best. Having marched Phantom Regiment during the 1985 and 1986 seasons, there can be a lot of frustration with things the judges say but it did not make my time any less enjoyable because of the opinion of any one judge.

43 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

And museums compete with other museums all the time to “ score “ the best art for their museum. Without that ability to compete effectively to “ score “ that Art , many are forced to close their doors . 

And if they want to stay alive, it is the public, patrons, independent critics, donors and lenders they have to satisfy, not some set of official “art international” judges.

4 hours ago, tedrick said:

Competition is the life blood of achievement.

Without football fields for the scored competition of the sport of football  , there is  no need for half time performing marching bands on football fields … and without marching bands on football fields , there are no drum corps on football fields … exhibition or otherwise . 

Edited by Boss Anova

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And if they want to stay alive, it is the public, patrons, independent critics, donors and lenders they have to satisfy, not some set of official “art international” judges.

So are you in favor then of eliminating scored competitions by judges  in marching bands and drum corps that perform on football fields ? 

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

And museums compete with other museums all the time to “ score “ the best art for their museum. Without that ability to compete effectively to “ score “ that Art , many are forced to close their doors . 

The Simeone Museum in Philadelphia lists the following awards given to it:

• 2019 #1 Ranking of the Top 100 Classic Car Collectors 
  • 2017 International Historic Motoring Awards "Museum or Collection of the Year" 
  • 2014 International Historic Motoring Awards "Car of the Year" - 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe"
  • 2014 Historic Vehicle Association: 1st automobile added to National Historic Vehicle Register - 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe"
  • 2012 International Historic Motoring Awards "Publication of the Year" - The Stewardship of Historically Important Automobiles"
  • 2011 International Historic Motoring Awards "Museum of the Year"

They also award a "Spirit of Competition" award to a deserving individual from Motorsport....

BTW, a great experience.

The Concours D'Elegance around the US are judged and awards given for the various vehicles entered in various categories. Many of them are indeed, works of art, particularly the examples with French Art Deco and post-war Italian coachbuilding. I've spoken to the judges, who are knowledgeable individuals in the automotive field. They use what they refer to as a "French system", which basically is open to what that judge believes is good and bad based on their experiences. No rubrics. Penalties can be assessed if the vehicle can't run. Judges usually ask at times for the cars to be started, partly for that reason and also if the engine has a distinctive sound or various quirks. ( Does the Voisin's Sleeve valve engine run quietly and does it not exhaust too much oil?)

Would people go to the event... and would some of the well-heled collectors bother to show their vehicles if there wasn't some kind of friendly skin in the game? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. I do know one husband and wife team have won several times at the Pebble Beach event.

Edited by BigW

Just now, Boss Anova said:

So are you in favor then of eliminating scored competitions by judges  in marching bands and drum corps that perform on football fields ? 

No.  I would keep scoring.  I just think the significance of scoring is being ridiculously overstated by a few posters.

• Like 3

Speaking purely for myself...and for no on else.

Competition is important to our activity, and there are benefits to it.

But, in our activity's current state, the way we are measuring ourselves is leading us to do things that are hurting us.  Our shows are written to check certain boxes on judging sheets.  We have to pack in a certain number of tricks per minute that make our musical arrangements unrecognizable and unrelatable until the third or fourth careful listen.  We spend a lot of money on "stuffs" to eek out that extra .15 point, but that don't pay off in the actual value of our shows to the paying (and non-paying) consumers.  At the same time we are pushing our membership closer to the financial brink, and pushing our students beyond what many can support phyiscally, financially and academically.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

No.  I would keep scoring.  I just think the significance of scoring is being ridiculously overstated by a few posters.

Perhaps .. and on the flip side , the recommendation by some posters on here and other social media sites , are being ridiculous if they believe that Drum Corps on football fields should just do exhibitions out there each summer from now on .

Edited by Boss Anova

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

I think that there is satisfaction from having your efforts acknowledged by what amounts to an intensive peer review. But, there are times where one can't let that dictate what to do and how to do it if one's beliefs are that strong.

The problem starts there when one is so obstinate that they refuse to adapt to the environment and either pack up their toys and leave (As did Holley in WGI decades ago) or in the case of a more recent former DCI corps, end up a rather bizarre embarrassment and sad joke because of what amounted to malfeasant and quite stubborn management.