March or Die thoughts 2021....

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dunno, it feels like the mold has been broken a few times the last year. the problem is when one does it, everyone tries to copy it. thats not judging, thats designers too afraid to go boldly elsewhere

That’s the truth.  Monkey see, monkey do. 

• Like 1

I too enjoyed this year. It was a welcome departure to see the kids out there having fun and just marching for the joy of performance. Watching corps members go nuts for other corps performances instead of the all too typical (sometimes) hushed musings of scores and judges was great. 

That being said, I agree that it has the feel of a one and done type of thing. I would say that I hope a balance can be struck. But to be realistic, it's very difficult to turn a ship this big around.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, craiga said:

This may be a minority opinion here on DCP, but I strenuously disagree with the premise of the OP.    To be clear, I am 61 and have spent 41 of those years in and around the Boston Crusaders.  I LOVED Cadets 2021!  I loved Rocky Point, Land Race from Far and Away, and pretty much everything else from their show.  The classic uniforms were authentic Cadets and just as importantly, worn by those kids with authenticity.  As a drill guy, I LOVED the Z pull, and while I didn't see Phantom in person, the video I saw of them with the kick out at the end of their show literally gave me goose bumps.

But, the problem is...I am 61.  How many years left do I have as a fan buying tickets and travelling to shows.....5?  10?  More I hope?

Someone connected with Boston for whom I have the utmost respect and who is only 10 years younger than me said the following to me this summer, "Craig, we have to connect with and appeal to 20 year old college kids instead of 70 year old men if we are to last another 80 years."  It pains me to admit it, but he was right.  In the case of BAC, I think they have been quite adept at threading that needle for the last several years, but it is clearly a balancing act, for all corps, not just Boston.  Corps that cannot adapt and move ahead to appeal to the continually changing fans risk ending up on the dead corps list, which grows every year.  As a "Legacy Fan", I would have loved to see Boston perform "California Dreamin,", "Hava Nagilia", and full out "Conquest" this summer (which was technically their 80th anniversary season btw).

I am so glad they 

Edited by Triple Forte
A
  • Like 1

I actually feel like I hit a new "fan" growth spurt this year due to no scores. Back when I marched, it was all about scores. I think I forgot the entertainment part and lost some of the meaning behind WHY I was marching. When I moved over to DCA some 15 years later, I HAD to march for the sheer joy of marching. I mean, our inside joke was "We finish 9th so you don't have to." 

I genuinely enjoyed seeing the kids perform this year. To see corps cheer each other on and TRULY perform for the sake of performing was really something very different. I think scoring is important and I hope it returns next year. But this past season really was special and I hope that all of the kids and fans grew from it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I actually really don’t agree with this part..

but this is basically saying as the members who were in phantom Madison or Cadets this year didn’t have as Good of experience or time with their corps because they were playing retro type shows versus someone who was in Boston and presented a more modern today type show.  
you can even go back to a competitive year I believe 2011 when jersey surf did the bridge mania show… Did those have less of an experience than someone who was in a corps with a more modern design?

>>Craig, we have to connect >>with and appeal to 20 year >>old college kids instead of >>70 year old men if we are to >>last another 80 years."

by the way I hope you’re around to enjoy  Drum Corps many many more years 😊

I said no such thing. I firmly believe the members of Cadets had an incredible experience this summer.  I was NOT comparing Cadets with BAC or anyone else.  My point was as we get back into competitive seasons going forward, drum corps have to appeal to the members of today, both in terms of programming and recruiting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, craiga said:

My point was as we get back into competitive seasons going forward, drum corps have to appeal to the members of today, both in terms of programming and recruiting.  

What about Phantom or Cadets’ show this year was not appealing to the members of today? I’ve seen this point raised a lot but never really seen evidence to back it up.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

What about Phantom or Cadets’ show this year was not appealing to the members of today? I’ve seen this point raised a lot but never really seen evidence to back it up.

Yes it did IMO, for this year. In a year when we came off a non season and doubt for the future. AS well as programs like Boston and Bluecoats did appeal to MMs as well as viewers.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 minute ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Again, I never said that either Phantom or Cadets' shows were not appealing to the members of today.  In fact, I praised both corps.  But, the tremendous applause that Cadets (for example) received were from people like me, who were around for Rocky Point Holiday and George Zingali's brilliance.  These kids did an amazing job of recreating the look and sound of drum corps from 30 plus years ago, and I LOVED it!

My point was just that you can't program only based on nostalgia and hope to grow or even sustain the activity.  

One last time...I LOVED THE CADETS THIS YEAR!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1